Best easiest meal

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zerpersande

Reaction score
So, easy is most important here. I do not like cooking and that is an understatement. I’ll eat like I’m high with a severe case of munchies to avoid cooking. So easy is important. But cost, time, healthful and tasteful need to get mixed in to varying degrees. And cooked with gas.

What’s one of your favorite meals that you think check enough of these boxes?

A package side dish that is basically noodles (or rice, I prefer noodles) and cheese, can of chicken and a small can of peas or other veggie. Pick up a container of powdered bullion either veggie or chicken from Dollar Tree and add that to the water for a bit more flavor. Cooks in a sauce pan and is shelf stable.

Hash browns with a couple of eggs added when the potatoes are done, and some ham or bacon mixed in if I have it.
Do you make your own hash browns from potatoes? But this is a good idea. Staying in one place/area for several days, well off the beaten path, precludes frequent trips for groceries. But I will have a fridge and frozen foods help keep the temp in the fridge down for a while, then eat them. Two birds with one stone.

I don’t make my own hash browns, I unashamedly admit to using the dehydrated ones.

When my husband was alive, a favorite travel day meal was a large baking potato, cut into home fries, then eggs added to the skillet.

A meal in a bowl, or a plate.

Another really easy and inexpensive meal I have posted about elsewhere here, is your favorite ramen noodles, cooked, with a couple of beaten eggs stirred in.

By the time you have stirred the eggs in thoroughly, they are cooked.

Kind of an egg drop soup.

Bagged mixed vegetables dipped in hummus. Sometimes I add some cheese.
Never had hummus. Never seen hummus in any store here in Japan but I expect imported food stores will have it. For a price. But it’s worth investigating, if only to try it once.

There's usually one side of an entire ailse in most Japanese grocery stores devoted to dried ramen/udon noodles. This is actually what I’m trying to limit. 😉

No cooking, no refrigerator, makes two stuffed sandwiches. Four pieces of bread and one can of chicken breast (drained) mixed with pickle relish and unrefrigerated mayo in packets to taste. Also Canadian Bacon 10 slice package can make two big sandwiches but needs to be eaten immediately after purchasing. Quick and easy with no cooking, no dishes, no leftovers and no refrigerator needed.

Last edited:
No cooking, no refrigerator, makes two stuffed sandwiches. Four pieces of bread and one can of chicken breast (drained) mixed with pickle relish and unrefrigerated mayo in packets to taste.
I’ve got one of those folding sandwich grills that adds to sandwiches.

There's usually one side of an entire ailse in most Japanese grocery stores devoted to dried ramen/udon noodles. This is actually what I’m trying to limit. 😉
Well, you didn’t say you were in Japan, where most of are not, nor are we familiar with their grocery stores. 😅

Ramen are not the most nutritious foods, but they are carbs and the eggs bring plenty of other nutrients.

This thread may help others, too. ☺️

Not sure if they have this in Japan. But you can get some frozen precooked grilled chicken or steak. Make some rice, and when the water is cooked down enough, toss the meat on top so it's steam cooked to temp. Maybe a few veggies if that's your thing.

Eggs. 10 minutes boils me up a dozen HB eggs good for about 6 meals. Eggs cooked in a non-stick skillet: 3 - 4 minutes, minimal cleanup (just a quick wipe down of my cast iron). i add a lot of stuff to my eggs to make a complete meal

A while back Emmymade.com taste tested a number of complete, self cooking meals available in Japanese grocery stores. More expensive and lots of waste packaging but all you do is add water and wait for the meal to heat up.

American grocery stores have a lot of fresh, precooked, and frozen meals, sides, and salads that require almost no prep and minimal to no cleanup.

My last trip I tried a pouch of Uncle Ben's Ready Rice (Spanish) (but you pick the flavor that sounds best) and added a drained can of cooked chicken breast. I browned this on the skillet with olive oil and it was pretty good. Add salt, pepper, spices to your liking.

Last edited:
You can eat for $1 a day, just search cheap meals on you tube. I met my wife 42 years ago last Feb at my Grandma's funeral in TN. I was from MI & she sent me a card so I went back Memorial day & it was love at 1st bite so we got engaged. I told here all the negative things I could think of about marrying me including I was poor as I was racing class A Motocross which took all my cash. Rented a house, furnished it for $60, got married down there & when we got here she looked in my checkbook & saw I had $14, she said you told you were poor but you're poor poor. We lived on Love, mac & cheese in the box 7 for $1 & 3' chubs of braunswieger 39 cents a pound. Our 42 aniv is on her birthday in July. We also had 2 sons on the same day naturally 2 years apart. There's 100 ways to eat mac & cheese & I still like it.

I don’t make my own hash browns, I unashamedly admit to using the dehydrated ones.

When my husband was alive, a favorite travel day meal was a large baking potato, cut into home fries, then eggs added to the skillet.

A meal in a bowl, or a plate.

Another really easy and inexpensive meal I have posted about elsewhere here, is your favorite ramen noodles, cooked, with a couple of beaten eggs stirred in.

Kind of an egg drop soup.
I add an egg to my Ramin also and use soy sauce to give it more flavor.

Not sure if they have this in Japan. But you can get some frozen precooked grilled chicken or steak. Make some rice, and when the water is cooked down enough, toss the meat on top so it's steam cooked to temp. Maybe a few veggies if that's your thing.
Actually with steak and chicken I don’t mind cooking. I’ve been pan frying both but I just bought a small grill meant for making yakitori, grilled chicken on skewers, much like shish kabobs. It cooks steaks too.

https://www.amazon.co.jp/-/en/gp/product/B01IGHIFV4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Eggs. 10 minutes boils me up a dozen HB eggs good for about 6 meals. Eggs cooked in a non-stick skillet: 3 - 4 minutes, minimal cleanup (just a quick wipe down of my cast iron). i add a lot of stuff to my eggs to make a complete meal
i currently eat quite a lot of eggs. Had some as a sandwich yesterday. Puece of sliced cheese and some mayo. Cooked as an omelet with a bit of cheese and pizza sauce. Only a fry pan, plate and fork for clean up.

A while back Emmymade.com taste tested a number of complete, self cooking meals available in Japanese grocery stores. More expensive and lots of waste packaging but all you do is add water and wait for the meal to heat up.
Haven’t seen those. When I’m in a grocery store they have obento, usually in the $4-5 range. There are even fast food shops dedicated to these, but slightly more expensive. (See link at bottom). Usually chicken, beef or fish with rice and veggies. Full meals, but basically something to buy and consume immediately.

https://www.hokkahokka-tei.jp/menu/003/?pref=26

Latest posts