Pressure Cooker

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pressure cookers need a controlled heat source so they can be kept at the just right pressure point.

The regulator keeps them at the just right pressure, assuming a sufficient heat source.

Controlled heat sources during pressurization are important for canning (to stay within known-safe guidelines of the NCHFP), but the acceptable range is quite wide for cooking.

Too hot and they can explode.

PCs don't explode because they got too hot. They explode when both the regulator outlet and emergency vent are blocked or otherwise rendered inoperable. Usually as a result of overfilling so those componenents get fouled.

I've been using pressure cookers for fifty years. Since struggling with typical gasket replacements, these with covers that you rotate sideways to cover and seal use a simple o-ring for sealing.

Instead of a pressure release that jiggles, these produce a loud steam blast when pressure is achieved. Adjust heat for a very occasional blast.

The one on the right is a Hawkins (India) purchased from Ebay, the one on the left is a United (USA), bought at a flea market for three dollars. They are both 1.5 liter sized. The dimensions are noticeably different. Stainless is nice. I have larger ones in my collection. The United brand is my van stove favorite.

Attachments

• IMG_3456.jpeg
    IMG_3456.jpeg
    867.2 KB · Views: 0
^Do you think a Cornish game hen would fit in either of those?

For a Cornish game hen no pressure cooker needed. Do an image search using the term “spatchcock”.

Essentially you cut all along the backbone from neck to tail. That allows you to flatten out the bird. You can then roast it in a covered skillet or Dutch oven on the stovetop. Start it breast side up until tender then flip it over to finish it skin side down to brown and crisp the skin. Much tastier than pressure cooking it. Plus you have pan drippings for making gravy.

Alternative is grilling a spatchcock cornish game hen. It cooks easily on a grill when it is flattened out that way.

Last edited:
^Which would use the least amount of fuel? PCs reduce cooking time so do they not require less?

I picked game hen to maybe experiment with because many years ago, for our first Thanksgiving, my ex wanted to fix something else besides turkey so she borrowed her mom's PC for the feast. Actually, that's the only time I've eaten CGH. I have read they are a healthier option than chicken so there's that,too. Plus using less butane would be good.

Last edited:
^Which would use the least amount of fuel? PCs reduce cooking time so do they not require less?

I picked game hen to maybe experiment with because many years ago, for our first Thanksgiving, my ex wanted to fix something else besides turkey so she borrowed her mom's PC for the feast. Actually, that's the only time I've eaten CGH. I have read they are a healthier option than chicken so there's that,too. Plus using less butane would be good.
If you are just wanting a fast way to cook birds, quail is really tiny. Just read that Cornish hen and quail recipes are not interchangeable. Might be due to size difference and/or because Cornish hens are just very young chickens and quail are game birds. You gotta look up quail recipes.

Also, I just read that if you spatchcock any bird, you should marinate it before cooking (otherwise it may be dry). No idea if that is true.

I've only had quail once at a friend's house whose dad was an avid bird hunter. Had to chew around a couple of buckshot pellets. I didn't know that you could buy them at the grocery store.

So why aren't Rock Cornish game hens just called Baby Chickens :unsure:?

Recipes for me usually mean for disaster. I'll be looking for things really ease to whip up for one and that use the least amount of fuel.

I'll be looking for things really ease to whip up for one and that use the least amount of fuel.
Do rice cookers fit in this conversation anywhere? (will you have an electric source?)
It's a little harder to find one small enough to cook a single serving (too-small amounts come out kind of rubbery in the larger ones). Macy's used to have them. Mine is a Black & Decker; I don't know if anyone else makes the little ones.

Some have like a little steamer basket so you can cook your veg at the same time. I just put mine right in with the rice (takes some trial and error to see what will work). Top it with cheese (while it's still warming) or peanuts (after) and you've got a meal. Put some arugula and cherry tomatoes in a bowl and eat 'em like finger food. Fruit for dessert. Fruit is very easy to whip up ;)

Rice cookers are pretty compact, too. Of course, depends on if you like rice enough to eat it often.

I have a 3 quart instant pot which I run from a Jackery 1000. I can recharge the Jackery from the cigarette lighter while driving. It might take a day or so to fully recharge, but I have freshly cooked food. I wouldn’t go the pressure cooker route because I want to save my propane resources and I can easily recharge the Jackery.

You do not want to buy a pressure cooker pot that exceeds the recommended diameter of pot size for your gas stove. Which means you need to look at your stove’s manual before investing in a pressure cooker and make sure it’s diameter is a good fit. Newbies do not always know about such things but there are pot size limitations so that the heated pot does not overhang the fuel canister area. The limitation is there as overhanging the canister area creates a potential for explosion of canisters. Read your manual before you shop for a pressure cooker or any other pot including skillets and do not exceed the recommended diameter.

Last edited:
The "set and forget" aspect of a rice cooker is a big plus. It takes about 20 minutes, so there's not a significant time cost. An instant pot is more expensive but it sounds like it can do about 1000 more things, and it's not that much bigger (so, should work for Gone2 the non-recipe-loving biker too). Now switching my vote ;)

I've only had quail once at a friend's house whose dad was an avid bird hunter. Had to chew around a couple of buckshot pellets. I didn't know that you could buy them at the grocery store.

So why aren't Rock Cornish game hens just called Baby Chickens :unsure:?

Recipes for me usually mean for disaster. I'll be looking for things really ease to whip up for one and that use the least amount of fuel.
I've only had quail once, as well. It was at an expensive restaurant and I ordered it by mistake. Thought I was ordering pheasant. When my meal arrived I was surprised at the miniature chicken, lol. I had a hard time eating it, because I didnt like eating such a tiny bird. My boss paid for the meal (my going away dinner at work), so I forced myself to eat it.

A few months before that happened I tried pheasant for the first time and liked it. Anyway, the pheasant was from a hunter. Guessing you must get quail from hunters or buy from a market in a big city like LA or NYC.

If you can get quail, the recipes I saw last night said they only take about 5 minutes to cook. They weigh ounces.

Cornish hens are a breed of chickens. Those little single serving chickens are 5-6 weeks old versus most slaughtered at 5-6 months. Something like that.

It's a little harder to find one small enough to cook a single serving (too-small amounts come out kind of rubbery in the larger ones). Macy's used to have them. Mine is a Black & Decker; I don't know if anyone else makes the little ones.
Dash (maker of mini appliances) makes a 2cup one, and there are others. I see 3c ones at thrift stores fairly frequently.

Because I am not overly cramped for space I carry an Aroma 6c I got at a thrift for <$6, I usually cook for two (eat half, store other half in fridge) so it has more room for that and for foaming. It's rated 300w on the label but my killawatt says 271w cooking then 34.5w hold warm. Some things I cook in the rice cooker.

I can run the rice cooker and crock directly off solar (no hit to the batteires) in good conditions, but I'd have to beef up my system (esp. inverter) to run even the smaller 700w instant pot.

I usually cook for two (eat half, store other half in fridge)
So how do you fix the second-day rice? Aside from from frying it, I never found a good way.

I am going to try the scrambled eggs!

This is the 300W six cup rice cooker that I am currently using:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007TNXYYA
The draw according to the BMS of inverter and cooker is around 26A. But it only runs for short periods. Eleven minutes to cook pasta, which uses more water than rice does.

It has a stainless steel pot, which requires some stirring on the bottom towards the end of the cooking to keep the rice from sticking. Before, I had a pot with non-stick finish which started flaking off, never again.

I proportionately reduce the water (120mm) to rice (100mm) to make just enough cooked rice for me.

A plastic rice storage container has a measuring cup lid that has the mm markings. For water I have a glass measuring cup with mm markings.

Do rice cookers fit in this conversation anywhere? (will you have an electric source?)

Rice cookers are pretty compact, too. Of course, depends on if you like rice enough to eat it often.
I have a small solar setup w/100ah AGM +180W of solar plus a DC-DC charger for alternator charging and a 900/700W generator for backup. I've upgraded to a larger 30L fridge plus added a diesel heater, so will be using a little more power.

An Instant Pot or rice cooker would be fine if driving a lot or with great sun but I'm thinking of when I'm camped stationary for long periods in low sun conditions this winter. I'd like to limit how much I need to use the generator.

I do eat rice fairly often but when camping I use the quick variety that only takes a few minutes to cook. Probably not as healthy as the long grain brown variety I use at home.

Leftover rice makes a good breakfast cereal. There are lots of rice cereals in the grocery aisle which makes it a traditional breakfast food. . Add some sugar, cinnamon and milk, fruit and nuts too if you like. Eat it cold or hot.

Where do you guys get all the storage space (and electricity) for all these fancy cooking appliances. I carry a 8" cast iron fry pan, a nesting cook kit, and a 3 qt pressure cooker (with 1 qt pan with lid that fits inside). I can do all my cooking with these.

A big advantage of a pressure cooker is it will continue cooking after it has been removed from heat (handled properly, up to 8 hours).

I have made rice in my pressure cooker (both fluffy and sticky) with no hassle.
Mix canned fruit (your favorite) with day-old rice or oatmeal.

Latest posts