Progress over perfection

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a dog bath, too, and it works quite well, although I've rarely used it. I have very limited floor space inside, but can make it work in a pinch. The dog bath does not have to be expanded to its full diameter, which is helpful. A gray Sterlite tote has been fine for washing my hair and sponging off.

My set up uses a marine bilge pump, but the concept is the same. I got tired of replacing the purpose-made 12 volt submersible pumps. A thirsty marine sponge is great for wiping out the dog bath or tub.
I'm currently looking into the plumbing for my sink. The unit is in and the tap installed. I just need to buy water pump and all the rest of the stuff and fit it. First time doing that. The tap has a pull out spray hose and it's situated by the sliding side door so I could use that to hose myself down (no hot water) but hey, maybe I'll add that at a later stage?

I have a dog bath, too, and it works quite well, although I've rarely used it. I have very limited floor space inside, but can make it work in a pinch. The dog bath does not have to be expanded to its full diameter, which is helpful. A gray Sterlite tote has been fine for washing my hair and sponging off.

My set up uses a marine bilge pump, but the concept is the same. I got tired of replacing the purpose-made 12 volt submersible pumps. A thirsty marine sponge is great for wiping out the dog bath or tub.
This is my newly converted sink unit which I made out of the chest of drawers. The sliding door of the van is on the left of the sink. That tap rotates and the nozzle pulls out and will be good for outside cold showers. :)

Attachments

• Snapshot_121.png
    Snapshot_121.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
You really just need something to catch the water, and small is good. ☺️
When having a shower I like to get from A to B in 'good time'. The state of my surroundings doesn't usually factor into this equation, that's why the collapsable sink unit made me chuckle! :)

Thanks for taking the time to share the URL. I'll defo give it a go at some point. Currently working on electrics and starting the plumbing soon whilst sleeping in it. Fortunately I eat at the lodge so it makes it loads easier while I'm doing the work on the van.
This dog bath (Amazon) is much smaller at 32". Some people keep hula hoops attached to the ceiling above the dog bath for the shower curtain(s).

My solution was to get a collapsible dog bathtub, I stretch it out on the floor, and then tuck it away when done.
I then drain the water out the side door.
View attachment 33059
I'm working on this project right now. I'm assuming you don't use enough water for it to rise to the level of the drain hole as shown in the photo. So it will not drain automatically. How to you drain out the accumulated water after showering?

I'm working on this project right now. I'm assuming you don't use enough water for it to rise to the level of the drain hole as shown in the photo. So it will not drain automatically. How do you drain out the accumulated water after showering?
When finished, I lift the far side of the tub a bit, and then a bit more, and a bit more, keeping the water (which isn't a lot, going out the drain hole, until it's easy to just tip the little water remaining over the top. Basically folded, you can then shake it upside down, at the doorway.
This dog bath (Amazon) is much smaller at 32". Some people keep hula hoops attached to the ceiling above the dog bath for the shower curtain(s).
I started out with the hula hoop and shower curtain, but the curtain proved a pain to dry. So now I don't use a curtain at all. I'm just careful where I point the water spray, and have a towel dedicated to drying what splashed on the floor when I'm done.

Welcome to the Van Living Forum :) It looks like you have things well in hand. Building while living in a rig is the trick isn't it ? I hope you take plenty of photo's and consider posting them in the "Captain's Log" along with the details of your travels in the UK. I'm sure there are plenty of us here who would like to read those post.

All the best !

Welcome to the Van Living Forum :) It looks like you have things well in hand. Building while living in a rig is the trick isn't it ? I hope you take plenty of photo's and consider posting them in the "Captain's Log" along with the details of your travels in the UK. I'm sure there are plenty of us here who would like to read those post.

All the best !
Yeah, awesome, I'll defo do a captains log. I've got loads of content of the project so far.
It's sunday, I'm sat in my van online and I feel like I should be doing something productive as the van is not finished, but...I really can't be arsed today :) Waiting on a new 120Ah battery to add to my (almost new) 240Ah bank. Will also be fitting a 30Amp Victron DC/DC charger this week. That's already arrived. Gotta look into plumbing and all that. Never done any of that before so that's a new skill/experience notch on the van belt.
I'm looking forward to when all the major stuff has been done and I can tweak and upgrade as I feel.

It feels so peaceful being away from pointless responsibilities.
Lord, you just summed it up for me in one sentence. I've spent the last 40+ years of my life dealing with other people's interpretations of what's "important", even as I have a beautifully small list of what *I* actually think matters. So. Over. It.