Greetings.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor

Reaction score
Hello.

I've been aware of this site for quite some time but never thought to join.

I've been fascinated by the idea of vehicle living for four to five years and finally pulled the trigger for reasons I don't even recall.

I've been living in my home town in a Honda Fit. This was vehicle I settled on randomly one day because I needed transportation to and from work that was reliable. When I started researching people living in a Fit or had converted a fit, I knew it was possible.

I am on the fence about being in a van or RV versus the car. I thought a lot about it and the reasons I would rather be in a larger space are for the following reasons: Getting up in the night to use the toilet. Power systems which don't require running the engine. Being able to sit up at a work station (currently I use the driver seat as my work station). Being able to do basic hygiene functions - primarily washing my hands and brushing my teeth. I currently use a gym for showers and public restrooms when I can't make it to the gym. (this is all urban). Utilizing a passive cooling system - like a vent fan and wet t-shirts or something. And finally cooking basic meals. I might not use an open flame but I need to have 300 watts to run a rice cooker and currently run 120 through the 12v using a 120 watt inverter.

I figure it would be fun to further convert the Fit but any serious changes could hurt the resale - unless it could be sold as a mini camper. I would also like to have a 100watt solar panel with AGM? batteries.

Currently I have a 3.5 by 3.5 foot 4 inch memory foam mattress that abuts to the driver seat folded flat with the headrest removed. This is my sleeping situation. All my clothing fits in a container dimensions of 1' high by 2' wide by about 10" wide. I usually keep a small trash can and bear barrel in the front seat with a 3 liter water jug. I have another container that I keep miscellaneous material in (most of which I intend to get rid of or store with other things I keep at my parents house). I store a tv table under the bed. I keep jumpers with my spare tire. All my camping gear including a 45 and 60 liter pack fit in the back alongside martial arts gear.

I'm thinking - I never really ride with anyone. And the seat behind the driver side can actually be lifted because the bed is flexible. If I remove the rear and passenger seats (to be stored in my parents house) I could add a toilet work station power system 3 liter fresh water 3 liter gray water sink. And a space for the rice cooker. IDK....

Anyway, for work I take care of people but am working my way into Life Coaching with a focus of on-line coaching at my website.

I hope to spend some time reading and interacting with you all further. Until then have a great day!

Victor.

Hi Victor, Welcome to the forum. There is so much useful information here. Be sure to check out Bob's videos. A goldmine!! Hope to see you on the road. Peace, Don

you could always tow the Fit behind a camper

Welcome to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.