2003 E350 7.3l Ambulance

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AustrianKangaroo

Reaction score
AHHHH! I posted in the wrong section; I knew I would mess something up! Mods, could you please move this to misc vehicles, pretty please? XD

I spent a few hours writing an essay then realised the TL;DR was perfectly good enough, oy. 

I hope I have covered all of the bases.

1. I live outside of the city where I work and want a place I can stay during my workdays so I am not traveling back and forth.

2. Found a pristine 2003 7.3l E350 Ambulance with 580,000KM for 3500 CAD.

3. What questions should I ask the seller regarding both the ambulance and its eccentric electrical systems (which tend to be sloppily stripped). Is the mileage really pushing it despite having seen such engines with over a million KM? How much work is generally needed to co-opt an ambulances electrical systems for my own use if they are left intact?

4. Besides a diesel heater, fridge, and lights I also need enough batteries to power my moonlight job as a 3D artist. 220w for the laptop, up to 300w for the external GPU enclosure, and 35 watts for the Cintiq. Since I will be running the diesel heater nonstop during the winter and will being using my laptop for 3-5 hours per day will 300AH worth of Lithium Ion batteries and 300 watts of solar power be enough? Mind you I will be running the GPU enclosure minimally and the laptop at only 50% most of the time.

5. Without breaking the bank, which diesel heaters can be run 24/7, especially in -40 degree weather?

6. What are the best tutorials for wiring your have personally found on the internet; Especially in regards to trickle charging and using the battery banks to start the engine in the cold.

My current wishlist: [font=Tahoma,Verdana,Arial,Sans-Serif]https://www.amazon.ca/hz/wishlist/ls/35TLHA762Z5KZ?ref_=wl_share[/font][/SIZE]

What else should be a priority add? Mind you, I am focused on making it "liveable" first. Comforts like kitchen, sink, flooring, lighting, etc will come much later as my place of work and the 24hour gym I go to have all my other needs covered. The bed is a simple 6in memory foam mattress I can easily build a frame for at home. A propane stove with a ceiling fan will probably cover all of my needs for the forseeable future. I have no interest in an AC as the ceiling fan should work just fine but a slow cooker is looking mighty appealing. 

Thanks!

Welcome to the CRVL forums AustrailianKangaroo! I moved your thread. :) Have you checked out Bob's videos? My search brought up a bunch of unrelated videos but the first five are all ambulances - https://www.youtube.com/c/CheapRVliving/search?query=living+in+a+ambulance

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

to many questions for one post. try breaking the questions up you will get better responses. but I will try,

that works out to 360k miles. that's a lot of miles not to mention all the time it sat idling. there's a lot more to a vehicle than just the engine. the transmission is at the end of it's life and they are not cheap. not to mention all the other wear components.

please define your abbreviations> I have no idea what you are talking about. what is a,

XD
TL;DR
oy
GPU
Cintiq

I have no idea what the electrical will involve because I have no idea what's there. the battery will have to be heated at those temps.

also I would use one of the heaters that also heat the engine coolant.

highdesertranger

What is an Austrian kangaroo?

A 'roo that follows the Austrian School of Economics?

Too many miles in my opinion especially if you are going to be putting money and effort into it unless they are giving it away.