Pressure Cooker

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarah’s Travels

Reaction score
I just purchased a stainless steel 3 quart pressure cooker. So I need a little advice.

Has anyone used a old fashioned pressure cooker over a camp fire? I was wondering if it’s possible? I could use my single burner camp stove, but I was wondering if the camp fire method would save on propane?

And 2nd, what’s your favorite one pot meal using a pressure cooker? I got it because dry beans are cheaper than canned beans, plus not as much sodium.

Thanks!

I'd be worried the campfire would melt the handle or gasket. If you are canning there are other concerns, but I assume you are only cooking in it.

I got it because dry beans are cheaper than canned beans, plus not as much sodium.

I carry a 4qt pressure cooker that I've used for beans, potatoes etc. When there's excess solar power I do most of that (and other things) in a crockpot. I use the pressure cooker on cloudy days or as a pasta boiling pot. :)

I use a pressure cooker a lot while traveling; I think it is the best energy conserving solution for off-grid cooking. A few things I have learned:
I have used one over a campfire (make sure the handle(s) won't burn or melt). I took the handles off of mine.​
It will get sooty; the old tried and true method of covering the outside with dish soap works most of the time.​
I now carry a steel plate to put under the cooker to keep it clean, although I don't do fires much anymore.​
Buy or make an insulated cover (also called a cozy). I can put dinner in the cooker the morning, bring it up to pressure, put it in the cozy, and dinner will cook and still be warm in the evening.​
Buy a small metal pot that fits inside to cook your foods. Float it in water in the pressure cooker. You only need to clean the small pot not the cooker (and you have warm dish water in the cooker!).​
Mine came with 3 triangular pots that fit inside so I could cook multiple things at once. I like one pot meals so I don't carry them with me.​

I like goulash, although I am not a purist. I make it with all kinds of mixtures: beef, chicken, pork, tuna, beans, dried peas, lentils, potato, rice, noodles, canned veggies, whatever; use your imagination. I sized my inside pot to easily make one filling meal. I have even made a cherry pie.

Great tips Spiff. I'll look into getting one of those for sure.

Pressure cookers need a controlled heat source so they can be kept at the just right pressure point. Too low and there is pressure to do its magic. Too hot and they can explode. Pressure cooking on a bed of coals could work but that is a specialized subset of cooking with wood. So if you want to master that type of cooking it will be a start. But first master that subset with things like Dutch oven cooking and baking to learn how to control the heat of the coals. Be well experienced before you try it with a pressure cooker. Just remember it takes time to create the coals which means that overall it is not going to be fast.

Stick to cooking with a butane or propane stove or an electric instapot type if fast pressure cooking is your goal.

That is not the way I was taught or use a pressure cooker. One brings the pressure cooker up to pressure (high heat or low heat, doesn't make a difference) and then stop heating it either by removing it from heat or throttling the heat back to reduce pressure. You need to monitor the pressure cooker the few minutes it takes to get to pressure. Keep heating long after it gets to pressure is what causes explosions (as does overfilling); doesn't make any difference what heat source you are using.

The advantage of this type of cooking is you do not need to continually add heat through the cooking process.

Dutch ovens are great and cooking over coals is great, if you have enough wood to make a good bed. But I only have room for so much stuff. For my type of cooking a pressure cooker is more efficient.

Are there smaller versions of pressure cookers that would be best for mobile use?

Last edited:
Never mind. I did some googling and see that a 2qt. size is about the smallest.

If cooking beans....definitely soak them overnight. It reduces the cooking time greatly...ie pre-soaked pinto beans cook in 6 minutes, garbanzos on 8 1/2.

Please use caution with campfires. The news & weather reports indicate that 70% of the USA is in drought now.

If cooking over a camp fire your utensils can become soot stained. One way to avoid that is to take laundry soap powder and make a paste to coat the bottom and outer sides. Make sure not to get this near where food will be cooking. Allow it to dry before setting it over the fire. Once you are finished you can wash the utensil and any smoke/soot will wash off with the soap.

If you have a small shovel (perhaps a used Army folding Foxhole shovel) you could rake up a pile of coals and use your hand to test the temperature by holding your hand about five inches above the fire and counting. The number of seconds you can hold it there will give you an approximation of the temperature. I would suggest having a grate of some kind to put the pressure cooker on over the top of the coals. Metal scrap yards may have a piece of expanded metal you could buy for a couple bucks and use as a grate.

Another common cooking utensil used in campfires is a "Camp Dutch Oven". (these have legs under them and a rim on the lid to help hold coals on top. But again with drought open fires may be discouraged.

High (450° to 550°F): 2 to 4 seconds
Medium (350° to 450°F): 5 to 7 seconds
Low (250° to 350°F): 8 to 10 seconds

Never mind. I did some googling and see that a 2qt. size is about the smallest.
You never, ever fill a pressure cook to the top. Especially not when cooking beans and rice. They create foam and the foam can foul up the pressure release mechanisms. You have to leave them only about 2/3rds full at the most.

If you want dried legumes that cook quickly use lentils or split peas. Their small size means faster cooking times.

One bulk food section in a grocery store I used to shop in sold dehydrated refried beans. They were actually were good for taste and texture.

Last edited:
Great! When I saw the pressure cooker I never considered a Dutch oven. I think I will skip the pressure cooker on the fire. In the morning I am going to seek out a Dutch oven and find out how to season it. My big consideration was cooking with out using a lot of propane. I have a cast iron skillet so I have a bit of experience. The Dutch oven may end up being a better choice for what I want. Now I have more research lol

I got it because dry beans are cheaper than canned beans, plus not as much sodium.
I've been reading up on them, because I want one, too. Whoever posted that you fill the pot only halfway for beans is correct.

Also, it's true that you only fill it 2/3 for anything. This site lists foods that get "frothy" and can clog the vent(s) (the site has other safety tips, too):

https://www.thespruceeats.com/pressure-cooker-safety-tips-909319
Found this tidbit:

If you are going to own just one pressure cooker, we suggest you get a large one — about 6 quarts. You will only be filling it two thirds of the way at most, and only half full when cooking beans. Most recipes were developed in this size pot as it's the most versatile. Smaller pressure cookers are good for side dishes.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/quick-and-easy/articles/how-to-use-a-pressure-cooker

I wish I knew that before I purchased the 3 qt size. My thought process was cooking for 1 and maybe some leftover for the next day. We are in the same area, so I think I will return the 3 qt and get the 6qt, and get a Dutch oven. I also need to get some cook books and watch some videos. In another post I talked about finding cheap entertainment, initial cost is pricy but practicing with the pressure cooker and Dutch oven is now my new entertainment lolol

I wish I knew that before I purchased the 3 qt size. My thought process was cooking for 1 and maybe some leftover for the next day. We are in the same area, so I think I will return the 3 qt and get the 6qt, and get a Dutch oven. I also need to get some cook books and watch some videos. In another post I talked about finding cheap entertainment, initial cost is pricy but practicing with the pressure cooker and Dutch oven is now my new entertainment lolol
I want a dutch oven, too. They are so darn expensive, though ($45-$80). My daughter found them for really cheap a couple years ago at a hardware store. Menard's maybe. For $10! Christmas special. So I have that one and it works great, but it isn't made for a campfire. The lid is convex and no rim (for coals).

Pretty sure I saw a small Lodge one at Walmart that was reasonable. $24.00, I think.

If you want a utensil that uses little fuel and you can cook healthy in it, consider a Wok. (if you like Asian style food) Most of the meal is in prep while the stir fry or cooking takes little time or fuel. The Wok, Lid, and ring stand all nest together taking up little room. It can double as a mixing bowl or basin for other purposes. Great if you are trapped inside during bad weather.

I have 4 Dutch Ovens, a spider, and lifting rod. With the spider you can invert the lid and use it like a shallow skillet which works well for breakfast foods and skillet fried foods. The spider is a "+" shaped stand that sits in the coals and holds the inverted lid up above the coals about 2 or 3 inches.

Whole Wok sets can be found in yard sales all the time.

Last edited:
Mine is a 3 qt pressure cooker. I find it fine for single pot meals. Doesn't hurt if you have room for a bigger one; just takes up more space.

My camper is 56 sq.ft. I don't have room for dutch ovens and woks. And I almost never have a fire.

I never fill more than 1/2 full. And with the inside covered pot, the 'frothing' is contained inside. System has worked well for me for 40 years.

I am a solo traveler and making a big pot of anything means I would be eating it for every meal for a week as I not have a freezer. I can’t even eat a whole can of beans in a single meal.

I just bought a can of ranch style beans at Walmart yesterday for about $1.20. So 60 cents per meal and very little fuel to heat the meal.

Last edited:
One of my favorite camping meal is ranch style beans, with a cut up sausage or a hot dog. I want simple meals 80% of the time. But I wanted a way to cook a chicken or roast or even a stew. Then I could eat for 2 days lol. One thing for sure is I have completely changed my opinion on what to keep in my van pantry. I unloaded a bunch of stuff at my cousins house and then went to the store to find a more simple menu.

Cooking in the van on rainy days is ok those days will be very simple. I am trying to find my way on this official “shake down trip”.

The funny mistakes have kept my family entertained for sure lol

I need to find out more about saving fuel since I will be using a butane stove for heating.

And if a 2qt. will be big enough for a Cornish game hen.

Last edited: