Inexpensive meals and eating

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m not a big consumer of ramen noodles, but many like them because they are inexpensive, and filling.

Cook your noodles, beat a couple of eggs, and stir them into the hot broth.

A little extra heat, cover for a minute or two, eggs are cooked and add nutrition to an otherwise carb-only meal.

Kids, especially, love this.
You can up instant ramen's viability by other methods too...
I recommend only adding 1/2 of the flavor pouch to reduce some of the sodium.
The egg is excellent.
Add some veggies as well... pickled if you don't have fresh.
Mushrooms (sliced black fungus/wood ear is great, but anything you have is good)
Mustard greens, cabbage, spinach, or any leafy green. Shredded will let the ambient heat
of the broth cook it if you add it while the broth is still boiling.
I really like bamboo shoots preserved in chili oil... 1 Tbsp or so adds a good flavor and texture.
Top it with fresh sliced green onions to your preference.

If you have any ground pork that has been prepared in advance adding 3-4 Tbsp can give a nice
bonus flavor.

I have instant ramen-cubes that I've made with a mix of cooked ground pork and misc. veggies that
I froze into cubes with a silicone freezer mold I have that I add to the pot when boiling the water for instant ramen Don't need much of the flavor packet to really make a tasty meal this way.

It still keeps the total cost of the meal really low as well considering the total cost and how long the ingredients will last... if you have access to refrigeration or freezer that is. Otherwise you have to focus
on shelf-stable ingredients which can cost more.

^^^ WanderingRose

Let us know once you try it and mention any adjustments you would make to it in ingredients or cooking times. :)

I'm enjoying these beans I made today. My cat spent the better part of the day
on the steps which are just below the stove vent.......inhaling the aromas of the chicken stock and ham bone. So I have some ham scraps for her and I'll put a spoon full of the soup broth over it for her when I feed her in a few minutes.

I'll be sure to tell her that this is "Capital Hill Bean Soup", and it ain't every cat
who gets to eat like a Politician.

What I'm buying and eating in my car...

I follow the ketogenic diet, so this is my general menu...

For Breakfast: 1/4c yogurt, 1/2c berries, 8 almonds and sometimes an oz of heavy cream; instant coffee with protein powder

Lunch: a salad: cup of greens, some other veggies on hand, 2 hard boiled eggs (sometimes), 1oz cheese, 1-2 mushrooms, and a ranch dressing that I make out of yogurt and ranch seasoning mix.

Afternoon snack: beef jerky, or almonds, or pepperoni, or cheese, or veggies; coffee with heavy cream and stevia

Dinner: canned meat (salmon, tuna, sardines, vienna) with yogurt and veggies. Sometimes I combine a can of stewed tomatoes with this combo.

Around 9pm, I have a snack like yogurt/protein powder pudding or a heavy cream/protein powder fluff (or pumkin, or avocado fluff)

That's general. Tonight I'm having beef jerky and hummus. I went heavy on the veggies for lunch and satisfied my quota for today.

As my setup expands, my menu will expand... but for now, it's very bare-bones, no cooking

Last edited:
A Cream Soup Base is the foundation of several soup types as well as gravies and casserole bases. Learning to make this is a beginning skill that could be used quite often in daily cooking.

This is little more than making a gravy but depending upon the thickness & the other ingredients you add, you can make a soup, a chowder, or even a bisque. In this you may use milk or broth to create foundation components for various
uses.

The simple recipe for a cream soup base:

1 stick of butter or margarine

6 TB of flour

2 Cups of Milk

2 cubes of bouillon Favor to suit the soup (you could use "Better Than Bouillon or a low sodium variant)

Ground black pepper in a simple gravy has many uses.

In a sauce pan melt the butter on low heat and adding the flour slowly while stirring to make a paste. Then add Milk slowly while stirring to form a smooth texture. (free of lumps) When adding the ingredients for the soup add more
Milk as needed to produce the thick or thinness desired. Don't be afraid to be generous with your liquid as it will thicken more while cooking. Add too little liquid and you'll wind up with a paste.

Depending on the type of soup you want to make, Milk can be substituted with Broth, Stock, or as a combination with Milk. Canned Evaporated Milk works well with this too.

Common cream based soups :

Cream of:

Potato (precooked diced potatoes in cans and other foods to make a loaded soup)

Chicken (available in Tuna Fish sized cans for convenience)

Broccoli florets steamed until tender (with shredded cheddar cheese)

Mushroom (using mushrooms from jars diced)

Celery

Cheese

Smoked sausage (with diced potatoes, carrots, and celery)

If using fish, shellfish, or potatoes you would be making a Chowder which has a chunky texture. These can be sourced from cans too. I've even made Oyster Stew from Canned Smoked Oysters.Using diced canned clams and diced potatoes will produce a clam chowder.

If using Lobster, Crab, or a Tomato ingredient, you may be making a Bisque. Here you may be using a heavy cream or white wine. When camping you may not be able to make a fine textured dish like you would in a well equipped kitchen using a blender & strainer. But it's still good. You can use Lobster, or Crab substitute products found in the refrigeration case with other fish products.

Gravies with other foods added such as thin dried beef (like in the glass jars), or crumbled sausage patties, or onions can be used can be prepared with beads or biscuits and make great breakfast meals. (either diced onions or the cut up green spring onions tops). Even coarse ground black pepper for a peppered gravy, or shredded cheese can be used as a
gravy or as a dressing for steamed vegetables.

As for a Casserole, the cream base sauce will serve as one of the five components of the classic Casserole. Casseroles generally have five components as follows: a protein, a vegetable, a starch (pasta), cheese, and a sauce such as the cream sauce described here. It is simple, cheap, and easy to make. (so you won't have to spend all of your time cooking)

This basic cooking skill could serve every camper & nomad. Cook once and have enough food to eat two or three times.

My Quick Example:
Vegetables:
I aim for twelve servings daily.
Breakfast -- bone-broth simmering in a cast-iron skillet, add left-over vegetables, crack six eggs to poach (for you, probably five would do).
Sprinkle with diced seawe'd.
Cover, shut 'OFF' heat, go do chores for eight minutes, shovel in.

^^^ Carla

Yes, it could also be used as a classic white sauce. Depending on how you prepare it, it can be adapted to many dishes. What I posted is known as a "Bechamel". But the other two common varieties are the "Mornay" with cheese (Sharp Cheddar & Parmesan), and the "Beurre" (which uses water, vinegar, and lemon juice as the liquid) it also contains shallots, dry mustard, and white pepper. These can be stand alone sauces or used in other sauces as an ingredient.

Some of us may cook a bit fancier than other's but the Bechamel is probably the most common sauce.

Gr8ful is quite right about Chocolate Gravy being a southern treat.

You may find the map in this site, "The United States of Gravy" fun to look thru.

United States and Gravy

I love a good creamy chowder/ potato soup. That sounds so good right now. Another way to thicken soup is with instant potato flakes not as much fats but also not as creamy. They also will thicken stews.

Chocolate gravy? Is it sweet? I like a good sausagey gravy, but I would not be opposed to something like a chocolate sauce on a good fresh biscuit just not with sausage..

I like it semi-sweet on hot buttered biscuits but you can make it as sweet as you like it. Here's a short you tube on how to make it

A Cream Soup Base is the foundation of several soup types as well as gravies and casserole bases. Learning to make this is a beginning skill that could be used quite often in daily cooking.

This is little more than making a gravy but depending upon the thickness & the other ingredients you add, you can make a soup, a chowder, or even a bisque. In this you may use milk or broth to create foundation components for various
uses.

The simple recipe for a cream soup base:

1 stick of butter or margarine

6 TB of flour

2 Cups of Milk

2 cubes of bouillon Favor to suit the soup (you could use "Better Than Bouillon or a low sodium variant)

Ground black pepper in a simple gravy has many uses.

In a sauce pan melt the butter on low heat and adding the flour slowly while stirring to make a paste. Then add Milk slowly while stirring to form a smooth texture. (free of lumps) When adding the ingredients for the soup add more
Milk as needed to produce the thick or thinness desired. Don't be afraid to be generous with your liquid as it will thicken more while cooking. Add too little liquid and you'll wind up with a paste.

Depending on the type of soup you want to make, Milk can be substituted with Broth, Stock, or as a combination with Milk. Canned Evaporated Milk works well with this too.

Common cream based soups :

Cream of:

Potato (precooked diced potatoes in cans and other foods to make a loaded soup)

Chicken (available in Tuna Fish sized cans for convenience)

Broccoli florets steamed until tender (with shredded cheddar cheese)

Mushroom (using mushrooms from jars diced)

Celery

Cheese

Smoked sausage (with diced potatoes, carrots, and celery)

If using fish, shellfish, or potatoes you would be making a Chowder which has a chunky texture. These can be sourced from cans too. I've even made Oyster Stew from Canned Smoked Oysters.Using diced canned clams and diced potatoes will produce a clam chowder.

If using Lobster, Crab, or a Tomato ingredient, you may be making a Bisque. Here you may be using a heavy cream or white wine. When camping you may not be able to make a fine textured dish like you would in a well equipped kitchen using a blender & strainer. But it's still good. You can use Lobster, or Crab substitute products found in the refrigeration case with other fish products.

Gravies with other foods added such as thin dried beef (like in the glass jars), or crumbled sausage patties, or onions can be used can be prepared with beads or biscuits and make great breakfast meals. (either diced onions or the cut up green spring onions tops). Even coarse ground black pepper for a peppered gravy, or shredded cheese can be used as a
gravy or as a dressing for steamed vegetables.

As for a Casserole, the cream base sauce will serve as one of the five components of the classic Casserole. Casseroles generally have five components as follows: a protein, a vegetable, a starch (pasta), cheese, and a sauce such as the cream sauce described here. It is simple, cheap, and easy to make. (so you won't have to spend all of your time cooking)

This basic cooking skill could serve every camper & nomad. Cook once and have enough food to eat two or three times.
Once at the deer camp, a buddy and I were making biscuits, bacon and gravy for breakfast and for the others also. I noticed we were out of milk and everyone wanted white cream gravy on their biscuits. I noticed we had several containers of Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla ice cream (we made a lot of floats). I took the bacon grease and crumbs, browned some flour with pepper in it, and then mixed in the ice cream. Stirred until it was bubbling and thickening just right. It was the best.

I think that in general the more cooking skill and food knowledge one has, the more options for good tasting cheaper meals will become available.

Likewise, extensive cooking knowledge will let one take ingredients that may frequently be discarded and not only use them but turn them into something bordering on a delicacy.

eDJ, you are showing a real expertise with this cooking information, and I’m impressed. ☺️

I believe that everyone should know how to make a basic pan bread, in addition to main dishes.

Many simple breads can be cooked in a skillet with a lid.

Mole sauce is very much savory and a bit of chili peppers and not sweet at all
But so is "gravy":) Minus the peppers. I was joking because of the terms being used. First "cream soup base"... white sauce. Now gravy. Just found it funny.

gravy
noun
gra·vy ˈgrā-vē
pluralgravies
Synonyms of gravy
: a sauce made from the thickened and seasoned juices of cooked meat

^^^ Carla :)

It's all good Carla. Better people know the similarity so they can understand it isn't as complicated as they may have believed. Then they can settle into making some of this simple stuff and realize they can cook some good stuff for themselves. Hopefully they can have a good first experience and build on that. Even if something doesn't turn out well, white sauce, gravy, and cream soup base isn't expensive to learn on.

^^^ WanderingRose,

Thank you, I've been at it since I was a kid. A lot of women in my family I learned from and in their old age I cooked the same things for them that they made for me as a youngster. They had given me their old cook books and most of their kitchen equipment.

^^^ Frood

I certainly agree. First learning to cook 10 or 15 recipes as standards can get
a person to where they can cook for themselves and eat well. In time collecting some kitchen equipment to cook the basics with will aid in that. Then some basic learning about meal planning will help to make a shopping list to stock
their food bin. This would be real important for those living for extended periods of time in BLM locations or just Boondocking. (cause you would be buying food to last for a long stay)

^^^ bagabum

I bet that was good using melted down icecream. One of my favorite things to do is find recipe hacks and workarounds. I have friends who cook on river Towboats and they are always talking about the creative ways they have for substitutes. I got a kick out of one of them substituting fresh Kale on cheeseburgers when she was out of Lettuce....and the not even noticing. :)

^^^ vanbrat

If you like chocolate, you'd like chocolate gravy. From what I've seen when I was down south, the chocolate gravy was it's own thing. Some may want it like a breakfast confection with other breakfast foods.....but not me.

.............and I'm with you on sausage gravy. I'd rather use sausage grease than just bacon grease. But mixing them together works for me.

Easy, very fast to cook, inexpensive “breakfast” burritos. Of course they are good anytime if the day.
Add a little olive oil in a nonstick skillet, crack one egg into the skillet, give it a rustic scramble to mix yolk into the white. A “rustic scramble” is a cooking term where you are not attempting to whip up the eggs into a homogeneous frothy mixture but instead when it is cooked bits of both egg white and yolk are both visible.

Before cooking this time I added some grated habenero cheddar cheese and dabs of refried black beans. After cooking I added some drained Rotel brand diced tomatoes with green chillies. What I add for extra fillings depends on what I have on hand that day.

While my rustic omelette is cooking I top the skillet with a flour tortilla to warm
The tortilla. No need to fold the omelette, just divide it up evenly along the length of the tortilla and ant other extras such as avocado, lettuce, onion, hot sauce, etc and fold the tortilla around the ingredients.
IMG_1425.jpegIMG_1427.jpeg

Last edited:
coffee with heavy cream and stevia
While stevia is good for k-e-t-o (my past posts using the k-word were asterisked) and has no calories, long-term use might have negative consequences:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7584803/
"revealed a severe damage in liver and kidney sections" (in mice)
"artificial sweeteners, depending on dose and duration of consumption, have a pro-inflammatory effect combined with gastrointestinal disorders"

https://eatbeautiful.net/why-stevia-is-bad-for-you-liver-kidney-gut-health/
"Long term administration of stevia significantly increased cholesterol levels and significantly decreased HDL levels ("healthy cholesterol") and increased LDL levels ("lousy cholesterol")
... etc, article is more readable that the scientific article by NIH

Will not kill you, and it is better than high fructose corn syrup, but even better is to get used to non-sweetened taste of food.
IMHO, YMMV, IANAL, etc. all disclaimers apply.