Well dang...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a standard height Econoline and would love to be able to stand up occasionally. The cost of a new high-top is more than I paid for the van! I see articles recommending scrounging tops from wrecking yards. Maybe when I was younger, but right now that is not very high on my list of things I want to do. I have considered a DIY option using a hard truck bed cover, canvas, and hydraulic struts. But, I can help but believe some enterprising individual wouldn't see this as an opportunity and fill the gap between the too expensive and the totally DIY project.
Did you check coloradocampervans? They are mentioned here: http://www.camperize.com/poptops/

Did you check coloradocampervans? They are mentioned here: http://www.camperize.com/poptops/
Carla, Thanks for the link. But everything there reinforces what I was talking about. They are not just more expensive than my entire van, they are 2X or 3x more than I paid for my entire van. That is for what is basically a fiberglass top, some hydraulic lifters, and canvas and zip in screens. I also followed the link I saw there to: DIY poptop installation projects and the first line included: "found an old VW pop-top mechanism at the junk yard." Again, not something I really want to do. I'm still shaking my head.

^^^I always liked the one that had an inverted fiberglass boat that covered the hole in the roof and a screen or canvas cover for when the boat was in the water. If you want something cheap you can build a small Jon boat out of a single sheet of plywood, mount it on the top, cut a hole! Lol!!!

^^^I always liked the one that had an inverted fiberglass boat that covered the hole in the roof and a screen or canvas cover for when the boat was in the water. If you want something cheap you can build a small Jon boat out of a single sheet of plywood, mount it on the top, cut a hole! Lol!!!
You laugh, but I considered something like that! I also looked at several wood frame DIY projects. Still looking...

A few years ago someone in Oregon started up once again making those retro trailers with the fiberglass boat on top. I think they found the original molds or else just found the original vintage one and did a takeoff on it.
The trailer was essentially the size of a teardrop trailer but with a unique shape. I do not think the company is still in business but here is a YouTube video of their sales pitch for that special trailer and the boat that were designed to fit together as a unit. You might even someday find a used one for sale in the state of Oregon or Washington.

Last edited:
That boat top makes an excellent aero roof, and I'm sure a great boat as well!

I've seen those!

A few years ago someone in Oregon started up once again making those retro trailers with the fiberglass boat on top. I think they found the original molds or else just found the original vintage one and did a takeoff on it.
The trailer was essentially the size of a teardrop trailer but with a unique shape. I do not think the company is still in business but here is a YouTube video of their sales pitch for that special trailer and the boat that were designed to fit together as a unit. You might even someday find a used one for sale in the state of Oregon or Washington.

Wowsers! Love that idea, reminds me of another camper that doubles as a boat in the water. Can't remember the name of it...

Ray

I now own 1 PU that was my tow vehicle, 1 standard-height camper van, and now a camper van with standing room inside. That's too many rigs for a single guy. So I'll be selling the PU and std van as soon as I can move what I want to keep and I will no longer be looking for a popup. But I'll bet there may be some others out there who still might be interested in a low-cost stand-up option if anyone comes up with a good solution.