I've never introduced myself + a unique proposal if anyone is interested...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I enjoyed CRVL as a "guest" for a very long time, then became a member  sometime ago, but never have officially introduced myself here in the Newcomer's Corner...

I'm Lori.  I've called the Syracuse New York area home, for most of my adult life... although I have been lucky to be able to travel and also live on the opposite side of the world for a short time, as well. I have always loved to travel, and looked forward to the time when I could do more.  Back a few years ago some health issues brought all of my future travel plans to a halt, but during that time my desire to travel again grew. While waiting and hoping to be able to travel again, I knew that I wanted to explore more of this country and this continent so had begun to think of different vehicles in which to do that.   Online research led me to YouTube where Bob, and countless others like him, proved to be an absolutely invaluable source of information regarding traveling/living in your vehicle.  After what seemed like an eternity, I am now ready to travel again!  

After many months of contemplating which vehicle would be best for me to travel in...and occasionally getting carried away with fantastic ideas about all sorts of vehicles and conversion ideas… I finally decided to go with a vehicle that I was exceptionally familiar with.   This might sound a little unique, but as an adult I have only owned Volvo 240 wagons(5!)and Saab 900s(2).  (Hello. My name is Lori and I am a Volvo addict.). After months of vehicle analysis paralysis I finally decided not to reinvent the wheel, but instead to go to a very familiar old friend… a Volvo wagon.

Having spent a great deal of time traveling within New York State, I intended to begin my travels in the Adirondack Mountains (which I absolutely love!!) and then wander about in New England and up into eastern Canada. I had hoped, if all went well to go further west later this year or beginning of next.    But, you know the line..." The best laid plans of mice and men,… " ?  Yes, an opportunity presented itself which threw all of my intended plans up in the air…and I took it.  A friend of a friend had an old Volvo station wagon for sale. And would sell it to me for an exceptionally reasonable price. The catch? It was in Tucson.  I would have to go get the car and drive it back across the country. It sounded like an amazing opportunity.  Yes, Tucson is a bit further beyond the Adirondacks than I had intended to go anytime in the next few months. But, I decided to do exactly that. Go!

After several years of health issues that prevented me from traveling(and eventually left me disabled), I decided that a unexpected trip(and unexpected costs!) was something I could splurge on. I booked plane tickets to Tucson…and my travels began.  

And hopefully there will be many travels to come, but I won't get into the details of the trip itself… but will skip ahead now to the proposal/challenge that I am now faced with. And that perhaps a member here and maybe interested in…

To make a very long story short(er), when I picked up the car in Tucson it was not quite in the condition I had been led to believe that it was in. Surprise, surprise.   It needed...a bit of work to be road ready, let alone roadtrip ready. (The line  that I mentioned earlier… The best made plans of mice and men…Often go awry." For me, so true!!)   I had paid very little for it, repairs were to be expected, but after having been assured that it was an absolutely perfect mechanical condition, I just didn't expect repairs to be needed before it even went a couple of miles down the road.    But,i have had numerous older cars and know that they need occasional work and maintenance…so I quickly found a well respected mechanic in Tucson who specializes in old Volvos.   He immediately diagnosed the couple of issues with the car, gave exceptionally reasonable repair estimates and ordered the parts. Only problem, he was about to go on vacation. Which left me with a car that was not able to make it out of Tuscon, but in the hands of a very capable and decent mechanic who is about to take a well-deserved vacation. My options were to find another mechanic($$), stay in Tucson until he got back from his vacation  and was able to repair the car ($$$$)…or find a way home, and come back for the car after it was repaired($$).Having already spent several days in Tucson trying to get the car repaired, and having a health issue come up... I chose to go home(how that happened is another story!)

And this is where the challenge/proposal/possible-opportunity-for-a-nomad comes into this very long winded post…

The mechanic is back from his vacation. And will be making the repairs to the car the end of this week or the beginning of next. It should then be roadworthy for a nice cross country road trip.  Unfortunately,  after returning back to New York state/home , I've run into a little bump in my health, that I must attend to…and cannot travel for the next couple of weeks.  So, I've been anxiously trying to figure out how to get the car home.  Then, I realized that I belong to a large community of adventurous and nomadic people…

My proposal… I can offer a very responsible and trustworthy person, with a with a drivers license and a good driving record, an older Volvo 240 Wagon to drive on an awesome roadtrip from Arizona to New York State.  Seats fold down flat for a large amount of space for gear/sleeping/camping along the way.  You can drive straight through(about 38 hours) or take a more leisurely trip.  Perfect for one or two people.  Pets welcome.   I will reimburse for 2300 miles of fuel costs!! 

This is an older car, and not perfect by any means.   It is "new to me", and I am not familiar with all of its quirks and eccentricities…therefore I cannot absolutely guarantee that the trip will be without mechanical challenges, but, I have done my best to prepare it for the road with all of the recent repairs.     

So... if any good soul has been wanting to travel across the country, but perhaps is lacking the vehicle to do it… please contact me. We can discuss all the details and figure out what works best for both of us!  

Lori

Welcome Lori to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

I suppose the trick will be finding someone near Tucson who also has a way back from NY, or who wants to end up in NY at least for a while.

Thank you Highdesertranger.

MrNoodly, I hope this is what someone is looking for. Can't beat a free trip, even if one-way! :)

Welcome, Lori! I too am from New York...Watkins Glen, to be specific. I will be heading back to NY in August. Unfortunately, I am in Idaho currently and have a rig and trailer or I may have taken you up on your offer, since I do have plans to be there. If I can think of anyone who can help you I will send them your way. I have family in Texas. Not sure if any of them could do what you're proposing though. My family isn't very nomadic, with the exception of myself and this is new for me.

P.S. - The logo on your Instagram page...did you draw that yourself?

Hi Lori,
If you can’t find someone here, there are car delivery websites that match up people who do this.

I live in Tucson and am interested, but can’t do it until the fall and I would need a plane ticket home, plus fuel reimbursement to make it viable. PM me, if you wish to discuss!

I just delivered my Mom’s older car to Iowa as a gift for my niece. Will be back in Tucson on Tuesday, but we are hitting the road in our Sprinter for the summer.

Maybe you could find someone who is making that trip, or will make that trip, using a tow-dolly to drag it all the way, or maybe part of the way, and have someone drive it either part of the way from Tucson to the hauler, or from the hauler drop-off point to NY. 

In other words, relay it up there. 

I believe most Volvo cars are front wheel drive so a tow-dolly would be a good way to get it there.

. A Savage AdventureVanMan said:
Welcome, Lori! I too am from New York...Watkins Glen, to be specific. I will be heading back to NY in August. Unfortunately, I am in Idaho currently and have a rig and trailer or I may have taken you up on your offer, since I do have plans to be there. If I can think of anyone who can help you I will send them your way. I have family in Texas. Not sure if any of them could do what you're proposing though. My family isn't very nomadic, with the exception of myself and this is new for me.

P.S. - The logo on your Instagram page...did you draw that yourself?

Watkins Glen is a beautiful area. I've spent a lot of time down in Ithaca,  so am very familiar with the area.

I designed the logo, but my artistic skills are sadly lacking(!)...So,my daughter has a friend who is quite artistic, I told her exactly what I wanted and she easily drew it up for me

:)

I designed the logo, but my artistic skills are sadly lacking(!)...So,my daughter has a friend who is quite artistic, I told her exactly what I wanted and she easily drew it up for me

After seeing your logo, I was finally inspired to finish mine. So I created this last night (or was it this morning?!?). I was up all night, but finally got something I liked! 

http://www.asavageadventure.com/

P.S. - My website is just barely being constructed. I used to have an engineering website and so basically I am starting over from scratch.

A Savage Adventure said:
After seeing your logo, I was finally inspired to finish mine. So I created this last night (or was it this morning?!?). I was up all night, but finally got something I liked! 

http://www.asavageadventure.com/

P.S. - My website is just barely being constructed. I used to have an engineering website and so basically I am starting over from scratch.
Lori some things are just fate but I have a proposal! I live in Tucson (currently on vacation in SD) I will be back the 14th and am willing to drive the car for you! I am a mechanic( self0-taught) and I am currently building my 98 dodge ram van to live in for awhile. I think this trip would be a fun way to drive to NY and potentially find a way back? I don't think I am your 100% ideal individual as I don't want to stay in NY, but I can still get the car there.

Hi
Lori
Justlilole rose here I am new
Did you find a driver ? I live in NE Az Show low area
I can help ..but I need to get back here .
I am a slow driver ...can't drive nights

being new is really hard for me ..it takes time to get to know someone and trust etc
I am planning on Quartzite this fall do I hope to meet new people and make friends

Again if you Have not found some one
I might be able to help
Um I am still learning how this site works and I have to learn the language
Hope younger this reply

Peace everyone

Their post was on 06/06/18 so they may not respond as that is going on two months ago.
I have responded to old posts as well, so this is how I know. Welcome to the forum.

Hi Lori,

Do you have a desirable, or a has to be done by, time frame?

I have a clean DL, and many, many cross country trips in my past. Buses, RVs, cars, trucks, and vans. Co-drove a Volvo wagon from New Jersey to Seattle in 2015. I have a son who works for Delta, who can get me to Tuscon, and home from NY veddy cheaply.

I am very comfortable with driving from point A to point B. There are some stops I could make a long the way, depending on the routing.

I would drive the vehicle as you would prefer it to be driven. Slower than the posted speed limit, no problem. Easy Does It.

Someone else may have a real need to get from AZ to NY and you should give them first look.

-Wayne