Nomad in Training

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dellaterra

Reaction score
Hello everyone!
A bit of an introduction about me…I have a 2010 Ford passenger van (tow vehicle) and a 2016 Forest River hard-side A-frame 18 ft trailer. (Similar to A-liner.) I left my job in land management in late Sept 2018. I took a 2 month ‘woofing’ job (working on an organic farm) in New Mexico. I am now doing a 2-and-a-half-month house-sit in New Mexico. I guess I could say I’m semi-retired. I have some savings but am too young to use my IRA without penalties. I plan to do seasonal work with the big land management fed agencies-Forest Service, BLM or Park Service. (Putting in summer job applications already.)

I put time and energy into woofing, and eventually housesitting, because I wanted a place to “land” after I quit my job and I wasn’t too keen on boondocking / camping in the winter (even with a trailer.). I was also desiring some structure and company of fellow farmers and I have always wanted to do farming.

I have been lurking on CRVL for 4 years or so when I began researching a way out of the ‘rat race’. A big breakthrough for me was this website: Early Retirement Extreme. It subsequently led me down a psychological path of dealing with feelings of shame and embarrassment about money-not having enough at “my age”. I saw on the forums people really honestly documenting and describing their financial status. I was living in the SF Bay area where housing costs are famously ridiculously high. I began planning my escape from the bay area when I realized I could get a tiny pension from my county job after 5 years. That 5 years was Sept 2018 and here I am! Feeling free and emancipated.

I began this lifestyle seeking peace. Peace of mind, peace with my things, peace away from cities and consumerism and peace in my own body. As I write this I am 6 days sober-no wine!- any other sober folks out there on this path?

The practicality and down-to-earthness of Bob’s writings is truly inspiring. Finding his website truly changed my life.

On a practical level I would really like to connect with folks, maybe join a caravan ( I’m a super introvert!) but I am limited right now with this (awesome!) house-sit I am doing until late Feb and hopefully a seasonal job this summer. One of the reasons I got the trailer was so I could live in it while doing summer work. I won’t be going to the RTR this year but will try to make it in 2020. Eventually I want to boondock but am hesitant with the trailer and don’t know where yet. My ideal would be to pare things down to just living out of the van, but I have too much stuff and am too attached to comforts to give it up just yet.

I would like to offer help to anyone who wants help doing a modest van-build. I have some carpentry skills and some tools. I did my own really simple van build, so I could sleep in the van if needed or go on short road trips with it. Its not that hard!! I got a passenger van (wanted windows!) and removed all the seats, put a floor, bed platform and bench seat and little table. Not sure when/how/where this could happen, but just putting it out there.

Any Italians out there? I lived in Italy for a few months when I was younger and want to keep practicing speaking Italian.
Well this is getting long, just wanted to reach out and say hello. I hope to start a blog soon to document my travels and write essays about the nomadic path. Best wishes to all!
L-

Welcome to the CRVL forums! Sounds like vandwelling will be a perfect fit for you! I think you could easily boondock with your little A-frame. Start with the ones that have good road access and branch out from there.
I eliminated the link from your introduction. New members must have at least 10 posts before including links.

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.