Digital Nomad

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 37921

Reaction score
Hey folks

My lease was over at the end of August and that's when I went full time into my van. I work a full time tech job out of the van and I have side gig tech job too. I built out a 2013 Ford E350 with a hightop and big Victron-based power system. I plan on having a 4WD conversion done this November. I really like getting as far up into the Mountains as I can and the 4WD isn't always needed, but it gives me peace of mind. I have the Flat HP Starlink dish, a 12V Air Conditioner from Dometic and 12V ICECO fridge. I run a couple monitors and laptops for my work. I have 800aH of batteries and n840 Watts of ground-deployed solar to juice it all up.

I don't have a lot of solid plans except to get out in the woods and in the Mountains as much as I can to hike and wander and mountain bike. I will be chasing 70 degrees for the most part but I may do a few ski trips after I get my insulation and heat sorted out.

I got wind of this forum on the r/vanlife sub on Reddit. Looking forward to a more focused and maybe less toxic place to connect to other nomads.

Here's my current camp in Superior National Forest (the one downside of the Starlink is that I have to find tree-less spots for connectivity):

PXL_20230911_154040794.jpg

Nice location and the set up sounds good.

Is it okay to ask what you do? I'm always interested in how to manage a full time job as a nomad...

Is it okay to ask what you do?
I am a cloud software administrator for a global company. Most of the work I do is with people all over the world so "worksite" and "location" mean less for my job than it does for most people. Part of what helped me decide to take the plunge into van living was how blessed I am to have a job where this is even being something I could consider.

Greetings mxstone. I'm with Sturgis and would like to see more remote working tech types come here and be part of this site. I'm not sure of the exact census of remote/tech types we have here but I'm sure they would benefit from the brain trust of retired full time RV'ers, general Nomads, and those in other types of vehicles. So please mention us to others like yourself.

Something you might consider is a rear air or electric locker you can disengage when not needed. They can be problematic but a lot cheaper and less problematic than a 4 wheel drive conversion. Since I started using a rear locker I very seldom need 4 wheel drive almost never on established roads/trails ( see Burr Trail, Moki Dugway and even most of Poison Springs Loop and Blue Notch road in Southern Utah ) in good weather. A front and rear receiver hitch and a hitch mounted winch with new tech rope line/pull pal anchor would only be needed for extreme off road. Go anywhere almost with 4 wheel drive and locked differentials but power steering and stronger driveline are a must. On pavement being able to disengage the lockers is a must in my opinion to avoid wear on driveline and tires. Ideally 4 wheel drive with electric/air rear locker, spool and stronger axles in the front ( with power hydraulic steering ) and manual locking hubs gives you all the off road capability you will never need if you just scout ahead and avoid problems in the first place. Before spending big bucks on 4 wheel conversion go ahead and get the rear air/electric locker and try it out would be my advice, even with 4 wheel drive you will want a locker eventually. For light use a posi-traction differential can be a good option but because it uses clutches can wear out.

Last edited:
Something you might consider is a rear air or electric locker you can disengage when not needed. They can be problematic but a lot cheaper and less problematic than a 4 wheel drive conversion. Since I started using a rear locker I very seldom need 4 wheel drive almost never on established roads/trails ( see Burr Trail, Moki Dugway and even most of Poison Springs Loop and Blue Notch road in Southern Utah ) in good weather. A front and rear receiver hitch and a hitch mounted winch with new tech rope line/pull pal anchor would only be needed for extreme off road. Go anywhere almost with 4 wheel drive and locked differentials but power steering and stronger driveline are a must. On pavement being able to disengage the lockers is a must in my opinion to avoid wear on driveline and tires. Ideally 4 wheel drive with electric/air rear locker, spool and stronger axles in the front ( with power hydraulic steering ) and manual locking hubs gives you all the off road capability you will never need if you just scout ahead and avoid problems in the first place. Before spending big bucks on 4 wheel conversion go ahead and get the rear air/electric locker and try it out would be my advice, even with 4 wheel drive you will want a locker eventually. For light use a posi-traction differential can be a good option but because it uses clutches can wear out.
I appreciate the advice - others have suggested the same thing.

I didn't get into in my intro but way before I was nomad or a tech guy, I was a car and motorcycle guy. I've been wrenching on vehicles since I was a kid to make them go faster and to do increasingly more non-practical and expensive things. The 4WD is more of a fun, vanity thing that will just make me smile a lot. Sorta like my Ducati Monster motorcycle. Like a 4WD Overlanding Campervan, there is nothing practical at all about owning a bike that will go from 0 to 60 in about 2.6 seconds, but I giggle like a little kid every time I do it. It's all about the joy it sparks when I hit the go button. I won't seek out ALL of the sketchy roads to go find a place to camp, but I will for sure find some of them and that inner little kid will giggle.

I'm having these folks do the conversion and they will definitely be putting lockers in the diff. (and changing the gear ratios and installing springs customized to match the weight of the build and adding 6 inches of lift and all kinds of other fun things that cost too much): https://www.ujointoffroad.com/

I am a cloud software administrator for a global company. Most of the work I do is with people all over the world so "worksite" and "location" mean less for my job than it does for most people. Part of what helped me decide to take the plunge into van living was how blessed I am to have a job where this is even being something I could consider.
How did you get involved in that? Background (so I know what to study) and if I'm being intrusive please don't hesitate to just tell me to shove off... ;P

How did you get involved in that? Background (so I know what to study) and if I'm being intrusive please don't hesitate to just tell me to shove off... ;P

No worries

Nobody sets out on a course of study to get a job like this. My path was very circuitous and involved some random leaps (my degree is in psychology of all things!). My most recent main avenue into this role was being a recruiter who was also a nerd. I started managing the cloud software for the recruiting agency I was working for because I understood the technical side of things and I also understood the the operational, recruiting things. Then I was on the path to doing the same things - just on a larger stage. The cloud software I manage is the software used by the global recruiting teams to post jobs and screen candidates and hire people. I'm self-taught on the technical side of things. I just have an affinity for that kind of stuff. It's really hard to teach that affinity.

edit: spelling typo

I agree with Bullfrog about the locker & use to hunt right about where you're at. If you want to see real beauty go to the west side of the U.P. better yet go to Copper Harbor at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula. I'm SW of Kalamazoo.

No worries

Nobody sets out on a course of study to get a job like this. My path was very circuitous and involved some random leaps (my degree is in psychology of all things!).
Hey, me too! I've been an IT geek for 30+ years, but my degree is in "Human Development" (what they called Psychology at the state univ campus I attended). Unix & network administration at first, and cybersecurity for the last 12-13 years.

I agree with Bullfrog about the locker & use to hunt right about where you're at. If you want to see real beauty go to the west side of the U.P. better yet go to Copper Harbor at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula. I'm SW of Kalamazoo.
There u go again! The UP is a horrible place, u won't like it. Especially Copper Harbor:). (I hope to be there next week just to punish myself).