Thanks for having me..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]After 30 years of living in a place I hated (New Jersey)  and working a job that stressed me out, I sold everything last year, packed it in my Jeep and hit the road for 5 months from August-December. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] I've always been into traveling. I've taken road trips all up and down the east coast from the Canadian Maritimes to Florida. I've always wanted and planned to move west so [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I decided to drive across the country to California, Nevada, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas and hiked and camped out in a tent, mostly boondocking in BLM lands and occasionally I paid for a site. In between camping I would sleep in the front seat of my 2005 Jeep Wrangler, who is named "Dreamcatcher". It's a good thing I'm small and fit rather comfortably lying across the front seats. I only got a hotel room 3 times in 5 months. The rest of the time I camped, often "cowboy style" under the stars or slept in the Jeep. I've perfected the "art" of stealth camping and have slept just about everywhere, from church parking lots to the parking lot of a posh golf club on the California coast. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I moved with the weather and went back to New Jersey for the winter to tie up some loose ends and spend time with my 2 kids as well as look for jobs out west to begin my new life. Then I got rid of MORE stuff and came out to Colorado Rockies with my 23 year old daughter, who eventually settled down in her own place in Boulder after spending the summer working in Breckenridge with me.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Now I work seasonally, in the summer and winter and travel during the spring and fall. I just got back from a 6 week trip driving, camping and hiking all around my new home, Colorado. I was concerned that after living in a cushy apartment for the summer, that I wouldn't enjoy the nomad lifestyle but it was easier than the first time! I fell back into it naturally. [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I love the freedom of being on the road. If I could afford not to work, I would just travel but unfortunately, retirement isn't an option and at least I'm enjoying the stress free environment of my jobs and I'm working outside and in the winter I'm skiing! I've always wanted to live in the mountains and now I am being paid to do it![/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]But settling down in one place isn't my plan. I've always been a wanderer, a traveler. I've decided that in the summers I want to change things up an work in different places and this summer I hope to be in the Pacific Northwest. I'm big into being outdoors and want to work with the parks all over the west. In the winter I'm loving the snow and have scored a great job as a ski instructor here in Colorado and hope to make that my "new career". But housing is expensive here in the Rockies and I'm not into "dormitory style" living with roommates so I've decided to take the next step...[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I'm going to buy a TT, probably a T@G Max XL, because I'm limited by what my Jeep can pull (2000lbs tow limit). I want to keep it simple and after living in freezing temperatures in my tent and Jeep, I think the teardrop will be a luxury. It will also open opportunities up as I'm looking at jobs at campgrounds and I can camp for next to nothing, as compared to paying rent for dormitory living in employee housing. I like my own space and love the idea of taking my home with me and it will be far cheaper to buy a teardrop than to rent seasonally. So here I am! [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I'm loving this forum and website and want to thank you all for having me. I had an idea that there were many like me but didn't know HOW many until I hit the road and found websites like this. [/font]

I love those TABs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the CRVL forums Freak On A Leash! Sounds like you've found the perfect balance of the need for an income, the desire for an enjoyable work environment, and a longing to travel. Congratulations and keep having fun!

To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you.

I am doing similar in Telluride, also an easy summer winter employment area. Does Breckenridge have a spot for trailers in the winter months?

Hi FOAL and welcome. Great intro and hope everything goes gravy for ya!

I am doing similar in Telluride, also an easy summer winter employment area. Does Breckenridge have a spot for trailers in the winter months?
-Douglas Tooley

Telluride is a wonderful place and somewhere I could easily live myself.

As for Breckenridge...That's what I will be looking into this winter. I have employee housing but it's only for your first year so next year I need to figure it out. There is a year 'round RV park in Fairplay that I can see utilizing from time to time but that can get expensive all the time. I'll check and see if they can give me a "discount winter rate" but it's more likely that I'm going to look into seeing if someone will allow me to park on their land for a reasonable free.

The cost to SHARE a room with someone in this area are from $700-1000 per person and I just can't afford that, nor to I want to share living space with someone else. I like my independence and solitude. Since I'm all set this winter I'll be looking at options for next winter. It's a work in progress.

Cammalu said:
I love those TABs

So do I but at close to 2000lbs they are too heavy for my Jeep Wrangler to safely pull so I'm going for the T@G Max XL Outback.

Freak On A Leash said:
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]After 30 years of living in a place I hated (New Jersey)  [/font]
Awww, poor Jersey always gets a bad rep...........
(Well, OK, Trenton was not the nicest city I've ever been in......)
;)

There is a tiny home effort here in the Telluride area and the proponent, among other causes, was just elected as a County Commissioner.

You might want to look at the tear drop trailers as well.