Well dang...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solari

Reaction score
...just realized even though I registered here back in 2015 I never introduced myself. That's what I get for lurking.

I've been full-timing since 2016 in a 13' Scamp and very much enjoying it. I'd be happy to share any advice on tiny camping (off the grid too) -- it's so worth it.

If you're familiar with other camping forums, esp. those catering to tiny/small campers or boondocking, etc. (and if the hosts here don't mind), please point the way.

Am currently in Florida visiting family; will be headed out west (primarily Arizona) shortly for winter season, maybe I'll run into some of you?

Forever wandering,
Ray

Nice looking well thought out rig you have there! What size engine and what transmission is in you tow vehicle and how does the trailer affect mileage and reliability?

Nice looking well thought out rig you have there! What size engine and what transmission is in you tow vehicle and how does the trailer affect mileage and reliability?

Thanks, Bullfrog!

The first few years I started with my trusty 2006 RAV4 (with 130k miles!) 4 cylinder automatic and it did great hauling the Scamp over and around everything including some steep mountains. The mileage dropped to low teens on average.

The last couple years I upgraded to a 2013 Nissan Xterra 6 cylinder automatic for its hi/lo 4WD capability and high clearance for off-roading adventures when I wander away from the camper. The Xterra has also been excellent and when I am not towing across mountains the mileage is not affected at all.

Here's a write up I did about the camper and things I use: https://alongtheray.com/scamp-camper

Down the road I am looking into lifting the camper and larger wheels so it can follow me a bit further on these off-road adventures.

Wander on,
Ray

Last edited:
The fiberglass rv forum has some members such as myself who do travel full time in our fiberglass trailers. There are plenty of Scamp owners in that group. I have a different vintage fiberglass trailer brand, a Trails West Campster. Mine is a 1971. Going on my 4th year full time so not actually in need of any beginners advice. Do not need advice on my trailer either as I have already done a complete renovation and upgrading of it.

Bull, I replied to your message but it's not showing here. I'm guessing it's in a moderator queue since I included a link to my set-up. Hopefully it'll show up soon.

The fiberglass rv forum has some members such as myself who do travel full time in our fiberglass trailers. There are plenty of Scamp owners in that group. I have a different vintage fiberglass trailer brand, a Trails West Campster. Mine is a 1971. Going on my 4th year full time so not actually in need of any beginners advice. Do not need advice on my trailer either as I have already done a complete renovation and upgrading of it.

Thanks for the heads up on the Fiberglass RV forum -- forgot about that one. Those Trails Wests look great, nice and roomy. Enjoy!

Ray

…Thanks for the heads up on the Fiberglass RV forum -- forgot about that one. Those Trails Wests look great, nice and roomy. Enjoy!

Ray
Roomy, now that is pretty funny. You must be thinking of a different fiberglass travel. It is under10’ long and a bit less than 6’ wide inside. Without the popup top open, even at my height of just under 5’5” I lack a couple of inches of being able to stand upright where the lowered popup gives me an extra 3” of headroom. The advantage of it and why I chose it is that is is lightweight and 600lbs under my Honda Element’s tow rating. It actually weighs less than the average tear drop trailers. 🙂IMG_0442.jpeg

Last edited:
Roomy, now that is pretty funny. You must be thinking of a different fiberglass travel. It is under10’ long and a bit less than 6’ wide inside. Without the popup top open, even at my height of just under 5’5” I lack a couple of inches of being able to stand upright where the lowered popup gives me an extra 3” of headroom. The advantage of it and why I chose it is that is is lightweight and 600lbs under my Honda Element’s tow rating. It actually weighs less than the average tear drop trailers. 🙂

Okay now that is tiny LOL! I was going by what came up on Google search:

f1969_Trailswest_Campster__8000_White_Sal_5b25923134139.jpg

That's what I get for assuming, of course.

Still, your camper looks to be bigger than quite a few tear drops I've seen. Love the weight -- it makes it so much easier to haul around. My Scamp's dry weight is 1,200 which was perfect for my prior vehicle's tow rating (RAV4 @ 1,500).

Is there a tiny stove in yours or do you cook outside?

Ray

Welcome to the Van Living Forum Ray :)

Lovely website and information covering your way of life.

I particularly noticed this comment left 2 years ago. Yes, more and more people of all ages are learning about this way of living and even working remotely. (y)

This is a very interesting way to live. I'm going poke around your blog to see if I can find out how you even chose this way of life.

Roomy, now that is pretty funny. You must be thinking of a different fiberglass travel. It is under10’ long and a bit less than 6’ wide inside. Without the popup top open, even at my height of just under 5’5” I lack a couple of inches of being able to stand upright where the lowered popup gives me an extra 3” of headroom. The advantage of it and why I chose it is that is is lightweight and 600lbs under my Honda Element’s tow rating. It actually weighs less than the average tear drop trailers. 🙂View attachment 34534
Maki2, I am wondering if the popup I see on the trailer might be available as a separate unit? Maybe from whoever built it?

There used to be companies that sold pop tops but they were expensive. Many an old VW camper bus had them. The last conversion kit I saw was on a Honda Element I believe.

Of course Sportsmobile.........................

There's a business in Pahrump.......on Mesquite......with 12 or more Wesfalia vans just sitting in the desert sun

There used to be companies that sold pop tops but they were expensive. Many an old VW camper bus had them. The last conversion kit I saw was on a Honda Element I believe.
In the USA the original 60s and 70s VW camper bus pop up tops mechanisms were designed and made in Oregon by the company that produced my vintage popup top travel trailer. They also worked to get the fiberglass roof properly contoured and the canvas made to fit the unit. I have a copy of the newspaper article from the 70s that talks about that but it is not a file I have on this cell phone I am posting the response on. If I needed to I can still get replacement parts for the tracks and rollers from a company in Australia. It is spring loaded, very easy to raise and lower. I had to rehabilitate it with fabricating a few small metal parts and of course all new fasteners and new nylon bushings so there was no friction on the intersection at the center or ends of the cross bars. I also sewed new canvas for it. Fortunately I did not need to replace the fiberglass top, but if I had needed to I could have made a mold and layed up the fiberglass to recreate it. Where there is a need if you have a good skill set and patience as well as mechanical aptitude you can make your own popup roof section.
IMG_0133.jpeg

Last edited:
Really enjoyed reading your blog this evening. Inspiring, thanks

Happy to hear you enjoyed it! Thank you : )
Welcome to the Van Living Forum Ray :)

Lovely website and information covering your way of life.

I particularly noticed this comment left 2 years ago. Yes, more and more people of all ages are learning about this way of living and even working remotely. (y)

Ayup, even today some folk are still learning about this sort of lifestyle and are often shocked when I tell them I live in my camper by choice.

Thanks for the welcome! : )
Ray

I have a made in Ohio Pop Top conversion on a 1994 Econoline as shown in the link to a Corvair van below.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/161066/1962-chevrolet-corvair-greenbrier-camper-van/
The lifting is completely manual and not very heavy. One end at the time, and only one end if so desired The tent material is thin rubberized cloth, and seems to match today's rubberized paint drop cloth. No heavy canvas mold or mildew, but no overhead bed.

This link shows a vintage advertisement:

https://books.google.com/books?id=V...gEwCQ#v=onepage&q=pop top mentor ohio&f=false
I've often wondered if a reverse-engineered copy would sell.

I have a standard height Econoline and would love to be able to stand up occasionally. The cost of a new high-top is more than I paid for the van! I see articles recommending scrounging tops from wrecking yards. Maybe when I was younger, but right now that is not very high on my list of things I want to do. I have considered a DIY option using a hard truck bed cover, canvas, and hydraulic struts. But, I can help but believe some enterprising individual wouldn't see this as an opportunity and fill the gap between the too expensive and the totally DIY project.