FALCON'S ODYSSEY

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I've been hanging out in Southern California the last two months (sans the week in Toronto). I've been having a great time. I've spent most of my time in Santa Barbara, Encinitas, and now I'm in San Diego.

NEW BLOG POSTS:

I’d been testing out having a Patreon account and making some content for people that join up there (and give me some money).. The rewards there are a map showing all the places I’ve camped, plus some really detailed blog posts about the ins and outs of living and traveling in a van. Well, I didn’t feel like keeping on writing those detailed posts, particularly for a very small audience. I also didn’t feel like regularly promoting the pattern account. I’m in the process of moving the how-to posts over to my blog, and I may shut down the Patreon account altogether. Not certain yet..  

Here are the posts I’ve moved so far:

VANLIFE HOW-TO: WHERE TO PARK AND SLEEP IN CITIES

HOW TO FIND FREE CAMPSITES (WONDERFUL ONES!)

I’ve also been wanting to do some different types of photography. The van and landscape pictures have gotten to feel a bit repetitive (particularly van pictures), so I’ve been spicing things up by shooting other stuff. I’ve started doing what I guess could call personal photography projects. My thinking is to shoot stuff that I’ll have a lot of fun with, and to shoot in ways that will help me improve my photography. I wrote about this a bit in my travels update post for September and October: California Dreamin’.

24289432058_9a2b130fec_c.jpg

Here’s the results of the first project I did, HAPPY AS A DOG AT THE BEACH

26365350619_4382f90f6e_c.jpg

PREPARATIONS FOR BAJA

This is my list of things I've wanted to sort out - at least to some extent - before going into Mexico, with some updates. I'm planning to head down in maybe 3 or 4 weeks, and stay down for as long as I'm enjoying it (at the longest until April of May)

PREP FOR MEXICO
— Start learning Spanish (on 9/1) - (Started ~9/20. Making decent progress now… 11/3- Have stagnated because I don’t really care about it. Expecting/hoping I’ll focus on it hard in the last couple weeks before entering Mexico)
— Get to very basic communication in Spanish (by 11/1) (total fail. Just haven’t cared to)
— Learn about laws, camping rules, and safety  (I need to find resources/info from people like me who don’t ever pay to camp)
— Research logistics (WIFI, cel service, mail, water, money, laundry)  (some progress here from talking to a guy from a different forum)
— Start deciding where to go (Some progress. Got some great input from Ego, but now he’s making me consider going into the mainland instead of only Baja…. )

Does anyone know good resources on going to Mexico (specifically Baja), that cover how to find good places to camp for free? And what the rules/laws/actual practices are related to camping?

FYI . Baja was nice :)

Also, my van is for sale now. I'm moving to Asia for an indefinite amount of time, and when I come back, expect to live in a normal house, so,.. not much use for the van any more.

It's currently in Portland, but mainly available for sale in Denver or Phoenix (or somewhere in between). I think I will only have it in Denver for about a week before heading down to Phoenix with it.

https://denver.craigslist.org/cto/d/littleton-campervan-dodge-2500-van/6972366009.html

many more pictures here: