Leather Tramping

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seajatt

Reaction score
Hi all,
I just finished what I'm doing here in FL, and am setting off in a few days for Nebraska. I will be walking the cowboy trail. I've been wrestling with an impending sense of mortality, and done with putting off my aspirations for tomorrow. Always tomorrow. But I mean it this time.

For those interested, I'll post pictures. It'll be about 200 miles.

Last edited:
Hopefully getting out on the road will remove that depressing sense of pending mortality.

Have a fun filled journey, that is the best cure for it.

Well, made it to omaha. I love this city already. I got a few hours before I head to norfolk where I'm gonna rest for a few days before I begin. I'll write complete post tomorrow on some of the characters I've met

I'm not the smartest man, but I have learned a few things: 1, the more you think you know, the less you really do. 2, time goes faster than you think.

You always think you have a tomorrow, when maybe you don't. I have lost three friends in my twenties. If you had asked them if they expected to die the next year, they all would have told you 'no.'

So time matters. Those tomorrows turn into weeks that turn into months that eventually rot and turn to regrets. I know about this very well.

And then there is the topic of decision-making. I've always tried to at least be prudent and smart with my decision-making. But when I examined the state of my life, how good were those decisions? They weren't very good at all, I decided.

So what was a good decision?

It's trickier than the surface would suggest because I could go turn wrenches or weld and be paid well. But what would I do with the money? My marriage had failed years prior and her pcos ensured that we no kids. But still, using my time to make money is always smart.

But it's also plum foolish at my age and state of life. If time is the premier currency, of what use is money when my time and wants are limited.

I was raised by a single father who's identity was bound up in their work, so I struggle with this. But I think I'm starting to let it go. It's why I'm here now, that is, the letting go of.

I'm saying all this to lay the groundwork for why I've decided to do what I am doing. I'll make a separate thread for that.

For me there have always been limits of what is acceptable. Enough money or resources to meet the basic need to survive was always primary. Work always seemed to provide that. I wanted to see new places and I found nomadic seasonal work provided that. I wanted to do different types of work and again I found many different seasonal jobs. I enjoyed most of my work but time became an issue as well as physical ability. My ability to enjoy activities and buy the toys to do so had to be balanced so compromise was required. For example I wanted a boat to explore in so I got a job as an on the water National Park Ranger. Several days a week I took out a 26’ patrol boat and checked on ruins in the area. I learned to plastic weld so I could repair a discarded kayak. I worked on other people’s boats in exchange for their use. Do I regret not owning a boat? A little but still have some great memories. Much better than a two week vacation and a boat payment the rest of the year! Biggest problem is staying physically healthy long enough to achieve your goals. I always wanted to race Pike’s Peak without concerns of going over the edge but lost my reflexes with age so that has become an unrealistic goal. Because I never was financially able to insure my family would be taken care of I enjoyed watching and working in the pits. Regrets, not really. Life and adventure opportunities go by quickly so choose wisely how you use your time!

Last edited:
You always think you have a tomorrow, when maybe you don't. I have lost three friends in my twenties. If you had asked them if they expected to die the next
Lyrics

… The curtains are drawn
Now the fire warms the room
Meanwhile outside
Wind from the north-east chills the air
It will soon be snowing out there
… And some there are
Cold, they prepare for a sleepless night
Maybe this will be their last fight
… But we're safe in each other's embrace
All fears go as I look on your face
… Better think awhile
Or I may never think again
If this were the last day of your life, m friend
Tell me, what do you think you would do then?
… Stand up to the blow that fate has struck upon you
Make the most of all you still have coming to you
Lay down on the ground and let the tears run from you
Crying to the grass and trees and heaven finally on your knees
… Let me live again, let life come find me wanting
Spring must strike again against the shield of winter
Let me feel once more the arms of love surround me
Telling me the danger's past, I need not fear the icy blast again
… Laughter and music and perfume linger here
And there, and there
Wine flows from flask to glass and mouth
As it soothes, confusing our doubts
… And soon we feel
Why do a single thing today
There's tomorrow sure as I'm here
… So the days they turn into years
And, still no tomorrow appears
… Better think awhile, ...

For me there have always been limits of what is acceptable. Enough money or resources to meet the basic need to survive was always primary. Work always seemed to provide that. I wanted to see new places and I found nomadic seasonal work provided that. I wanted to do different types of work and again I found many different seasonal jobs. I enjoyed most of my work but time became an issue as well as physical ability. My ability to enjoy activities and buy the toys to do so had to be balanced so compromise was required. For example I wanted a boat to explore in so I got a job as an on the water National Park Ranger. Several days a week I took out a 26’ patrol boat and checked on ruins in the area. I learned to plastic weld so I could repair a discarded kayak. I worked on other people’s boats in exchange for their use. Do I regret not owning a boat? A little but still have some great memories. Much better than a two week vacation and a boat payment the rest of the year! Biggest problem is staying physically healthy long enough to achieve your goals. I always wanted to race Pike’s Peak without concerns of going over the edge but lost my reflexes with age so that has become an unrealistic goal. Because I never was financially able to insure my family would be taken care of I enjoyed watching and working in the pits. Regrets, not really. Life and adventure opportunities go by quickly so choose wisely how you use your time!
That's kind of what I'm shooting for now, and why joining the merchant marines is my goal. It will mean I will only work half the year, and the work will be stuff I enjoy doing like welding and fixing machinery.

If you wouldn't mind, you got any stories or experiences you want to share about your time as a park ranger??

I enjoyed reading your post.

Lyrics

… The curtains are drawn
Now the fire warms the room
Meanwhile outside
Wind from the north-east chills the air
It will soon be snowing out there
… And some there are
Cold, they prepare for a sleepless night
Maybe this will be their last fight
… But we're safe in each other's embrace
All fears go as I look on your face
… Better think awhile
Or I may never think again
If this were the last day of your life, m friend
Tell me, what do you think you would do then?
… Stand up to the blow that fate has struck upon you
Make the most of all you still have coming to you
Lay down on the ground and let the tears run from you
Crying to the grass and trees and heaven finally on your knees
… Let me live again, let life come find me wanting
Spring must strike again against the shield of winter
Let me feel once more the arms of love surround me
Telling me the danger's past, I need not fear the icy blast again
… Laughter and music and perfume linger here
And there, and there
Wine flows from flask to glass and mouth
As it soothes, confusing our doubts
… And soon we feel
Why do a single thing today
There's tomorrow sure as I'm here
… So the days they turn into years
And, still no tomorrow appears
… Better think awhile, ...
Not sure from where this comes, but it resonates

I had always wanted to work outdoors. I didn’t get the opportunity until I started volunteering and working seasonally in National Parks after I retired from a combination of many different occupations. Teaching was one of them so educating the public as a Ranger came easy. After that opportunities through acquaintances and made finding jobs easy. Currently I’m working 9 months of the year for Utah Department of Natural Resources in their Aquatic Invasive Species division as a boat inspector. I work four ten hour shifts a week at $17.85 an hour ( higher pay due to remote location ) no benefits except free housing which I don’t use as my wife’s job provides us housing as she is a National Park Ranger still. We still travel to southern Arizona in the winter. Merchant Marines sounds like a good deal for a single person.

Sounds like you have a nice setup paywise and with the fringe benefits. Coincidentally, and speaking of boats, I'm thinking my next adventure is likely to be rafting down the Mississippi River Huck Finn style

You might look at working the tug boats on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. We have van dwellers here doing that quite successfully with lots of time off to travel.

Sounds like you have a nice setup paywise and with the fringe benefits. Coincidentally, and speaking of boats, I'm thinking my next adventure is likely to be rafting down the Mississippi River Huck Finn style
Working on a tug boat, or a barge, is a good idea. Consolidated Grain and Barge is often hiring. See Seasonal Barge Facility Laborer.

If you do raft down the Mississippi River, when you read stories about those who have done it, take note of how they handled passing the confluence. Where the Mississippi and Ohio meet. It can be dangerous.

You might be interested in checking out trailerable houseboats. Small enough to tow them cross country, yet big enough to live aboard. There is a Facebook page about them: Legally Trailerable Houseboats, Buy, Sell, Trade and Discussion. You could get a slip at a marina on the river, or on a lake. Usually cheaper than renting a house or apartment.

You might look at working the tug boats on the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. We have van dwellers here doing that quite successfully with lots of time off to travel.
Yep, I brag the towboater life up every chance I get. It isn’t for everybody. If u r lazy don’t apply.