Essential Attire

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
White bath robe.WarnerBros_NLChristmasVacation_CousinEddieShitter.jpg

Attachments

• WarnerBros_NLChristmasVacation_CousinEddieShitter.jpg
    WarnerBros_NLChristmasVacation_CousinEddieShitter.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 32
But you look cold. If I was wearing that I would turn to mush. What's with all those reindeer?   ~crofter

Why not just put the jeans over the fleece? For fly fishing I have fleece pants with stirrups to hold the legs down while I put on the waders Two pair of wool socks. You could put a sweat suit on also in lew of jeans.

while fleece is great for warmth and I myself own some. it's a terrible choice if you are going to bust brush. everything and it's brother sticks to it and is almost impossible to remove. I had to throw out a fleece top for this reason. now I consider fleece a around camp type of garment. highdesertranger

You people are so well dressed! I just wear jeans and mostly black shirts... and in cold weather, sweaters or some kind of jacket. Keep it simple kind of dressing. No jewelry ever. That's my version of essential attire. I may someday evolve... but at my age it is unlikely. Oh, I do have shorts for summer and exercise pants for Anytime Fitness.

Speaking of the sun, do you wear standard sunglasses or wraparounds? Too much solar radiation (that UV, sunshine that we love) is bad for your eyes according to my eye doctor.  These stylin shades from Home Depot are my go to for sports, link gets them online at Amazon about $7:

https://www.amazon.com/Peltor-Sport...9MQ&keywords=3m+z87+safety+glasses+tinted&qid

And don't forget this stuff, lubricant eye drops available at wal mart, about $15 and lasts forever.    ~crofter

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Refresh-...d=17559&adid=22222222227000000000&wl0=&wl1=g&

No need for eye drops and yes to wrap around safety glasses. I have the dark ones and the yellow ones.

travelaround said:
You people are so well dressed! I just wear jeans and mostly black shirts... and in cold weather, sweaters or some kind of jacket. Keep it simple kind of dressing. No jewelry ever. <Snip>
Uh oh, I always wear jewellery. I'll probably never get aYARC badge now :s
Of course, I break a lot of it out here too, but it makes me happy :angel:

The black shirts and jeans sound like sensible layers, nothing wrong with that!  Easy to add to as conditions warrant.

Anyone know where to buy those blue fleece booties? I could use a pair.
All I have are fleece jackets. I dont even own a coat. I have no warm clothes. I want to buy snow boots that are non- slip but I have no idea what or where to buy them.

I have an old raggedy fleece vest I use at home, so don't need to run the furnace. Very comfortable. And just bought a new one to take to the desert this winter. Don't want to look like a desert bumm.

"Don't want to look like a desert bumm. "

Hey Hey Hey, what's wrong with looking like a desert bum. I resemble that remark.

highdesertranger

When you "both" live in a van and also look like a bumm, well .... I'm even scared of people like that.

Qxxx said:
Don't want to look like a desert bumm.

Too late for me... if I don’t have my niece around to tell me what to wear I’m screwed. Just bought a pair of glasses without her. The family is in an uproar and said that they look like something Dad would wear in the 80s. Oh well....

Guess that’s why I had to buy an RV instead of a van [emoji16]

Qxxx said:
I'm going to try something new this winter in the (unheated) van. I've found that typical night time temperatures in the Quartzsite area are in the low 30s in January and February.

First, fleece sheets. I have these at home for winter use, but don't have a set for the van.

Years ago, I found fleece sleeping bag liners someplace for $15 each, and got several for my grands who were always losing their covers during overnights at our house.

They zip along the bottom and one side, just like a sleeping bag, and are amazingly warm.

I used one of these last summer at high elevations when temps dropped into the low 30’s at night, under an all season down comforter.

Toasty warm, washable, roll up, squish and stow when not in use.

This one is similar, on sale for $10 at Kohl’s.

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2...MIip-Xs9bp5QIVmJOzCh3qZA3yEAQYAiABEgK-pfD_BwE

Cammalu said:
"Don't want to look like a desert bumm".

Too late for me... if I don’t have my niece around to tell me what to wear I’m screwed. Just bought a pair of glasses without her. The family is in an uproar and said that they look like something Dad would wear in the 80s.  Oh well....

Guess that’s why I had to buy an RV instead of a van [emoji16]
Sure, Cammalu. 

You: sweetie pooh girl living in a Class-A Leviathan.

Me: old grey beard codger living in a plain white nondescript van. At least they can say "Well, he is wearing a beautiful new fleece vest, and not some old moth-bitten raggedy anne vest. Maybe he's ok".

Nobody sees me getting out of the RV. They just see a fat disheveled old lady with yucky clothes limping around.

I’m just a step up from what they call, “the dirties” in Q. I’m not dirty but certainly frumpy at least.

I haven't read the entire thread yet so pardon if I repeat.

Icebreakers Merino wool is the best I have ever owned and I have been a skier for 40+ years. Merino wool is worth the cost. It's very warm and doesn't hold funky smells. It's not itchy. It doesn't wear easily and lasts a very long time. Look for used on Ebay.

Ace Hardware is a great place to buy gloves. Look for the winter work gloves. If your hands get cold easily mittens are a better choice.

Latest posts