Essential Attire

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crofter

Reaction score
What attire is a must have, and you are wearing or using it often, especially in the van? As an essential, will enable retaining or shedding heat, or meet another need you have when dwelling.    ~crofter

These are for heat retention and modesty, and help me make a quick entrance from the van when someone catches me napping. Am I the only one who still needs their puffer vest in AZ? I usually sleep in mine, instead of using a heater. The booties have replaced wool sox for sleeping.     ~crofter

View attachment 24849

I love the softness of fleece also against my skin, compared to wool or cotton. Excellent choice to bring along! Can you share a pic or the brand you prefer?    ~crofter

WanderingRose said:
 CuddlDuds is inexpensive and most of my pieces are of this brand.
And can be found at Walmart! Thank you Wandering Rose.    ~crofter

A rain poncho so I can sneak a shower when it rains (no, not the clear kind!).

gsfish said:
My hands get cold easily and it is pretty miserable so in winter weather warm gloves are a must for me. I have a full spectrum from thin wool (with and without fingers) to insulated leather work gloves.

Guy
I carry the nitrile barrier gloves, and leather utility gloves in the van. Got a favorite brand or source that you use?   ~crofter

GypsyJan said:
A rain poncho so I can sneak a shower when it rains (no, not the clear kind!).
Showering inside the poncho is a new one on me! Got a fave brand that performs well? My poncho is breathable enough to also leak in a downpour and I get wet, so the poncho was jettisoned from the van. Good performing rain gear is important to include in the essentials, so tell tell about the good ones.    ~crofter

SheketEchad said:
I carry my Icebreakers everywhere. Made of Merino wool, they keep me warm if it's cold and moderate heat if it's below 85.  They are really thin and can be worn a very long time without washing without getting funky.  They are my favorite hiking apparel. 

I've used my full length leather duster as a bathrobe and a blanket, so I won't be traveling without it any place that has a chance of dropping before 40 any more since I have no heat in the van. It's been awesome since it's lined with fake fur inside.

Also a beanie hat for daytime cold and wind, or really cold nights, and real wool socks

Awesome hack on the long johns! Icebreakers are the wool version, and to quote SheketEchad: "can be worn a very long time without washing without getting funky." Stays warm and solves a laundry and air freshener dilemma!   

You can also use the duster to blend in in places like Wyoming, they will think you are a local.
https://www.amazon.com/Leather-Duster-Zipout-Leg-Straps-Removable/dp/B004LPNCKK
Do many of us carry a long coat? My way is insulated pants and even insulated bibbs if I will be travelling in the mountains. I want to be comfortable when I am putting on chains in that blizzard.

"Also a beanie hat for daytime cold and wind, or really cold nights, and real wool socks" Also great choices for essentials. Do you have a brand or a link for a good wind proof hat? Here's one for wool sox, Walmart again 45% wool is pretty good for $10. ~crofter

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GMI-Mens...MIuqKKzffW5QIVih-tBh0Dxgq3EAQYFSABEgLk6vD_BwE

Icebreaker beanie is pricey, but should last forever if you don't misplace it

https://www.amazon.com/Icebreaker-Breathable-Moisture-Wicking-Merino/dp/B07D11YXSS

I use Darn Tough wool socks as they replace them for free if you wear them out ?

Many of the expensive gear pieces I have I spent hours searching for in Goodwill or hunted them down at season end sales. I always prefer to buy once in high quality goods. My hand pieced leather duster came from Goodwill for 19.00. I love me a bargain!

Last winter at the workshop my feet were freezing so I borrowed a pair of wool socks that belong to my friend. I am a wood sensitive person, it drives me crazy to wear wool clothing next to my skin. But this pair of socks were the brand "Smartwool" and they did not make me itch even one tiny little bit. Plus they were very warm but not overly thick. They are not inexpensive so I have them on my wish list for Christmas.

The company makes lots of great lightweight wool clothing for men and women. Plus they have some very fun, artistic patterns and styles which will appeal to those who get tired of everything being grey, beige or plaid for warm winter layering pieces. Of course they do have those colors for those who like to go incognito :) Something special to note they even have merino wool blend women's bikini style undies and sports bras. That is not something you are going to find at Walmart!
https://www.smartwool.com/homepage.html

If there are any secret Santa's around these fingerless hand warmers are on my wish list. I had to buy some fleece gloves and cut out the finger tips so I could work on projects last winter in the barely heated workshop space.
https://www.smartwool.com/shop/wome...o-hand-warmer-sw000132?variationId=C51#hero=0

Jeans and t-shirts (mix of short and long sleeves), a flannel shirt, a couple of Hawaiian style shirts, some shorts, underwear, sweats, some socks, a fleece pullover, a down vest, knit cap, fleece gloves, work gloves, baseball hat, straw fedora, hiking shoes, sneakers, sandals.

I stay away from places that require serious cold or wet weather gear. That's why I'm a nomad.

maki2 said:
I had to buy some fleece gloves and cut out the finger tips so I could work on projects last winter...

I don't understand fingerless gloves, because it's my fingers that get cold, not my palms.  :s I just skip the gloves if I need the dexterity.

Another wool sox aficionado! My mother sent me those smartwool sox as a gift and they are soft and warm.  Looking at the link you sent, we may have to hit up the Goodwill for the sweaters though. Beautiful stuff.    ~crofter