Essential Attire

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LowTech said:
  Do you have a better source than Winter Silks?
Best price I found online for new silk was about $50, with REI sale price less. Spring sales are the time to buy for next year. I have found some items at resale shops, but a rare find.  -crofter

Living in Australia, essential attire is shorts and T shirts most of the year round, if it gets cold maybe a Westie shirt. (flannelette shirt) over the T.

I'm sure there are parts of that big continent where that doesn't apply. [emoji6]

Silk knit fabric that is used for underwear is very expensive to produce. I am sure you learned way back when you were in elementary school how difficult it is to produce because it is created by silk worms rather than being a mass produced chemical product. If you want something that is such a special item you just have to put out the cash for it. Luxury comes at a cost.

Q - whats the difference between a business executive on an expensive bicycle and a beach bum on a unicycle?

A - attire (a tire)

arhly said:
Does L.L. Bean still have their massive summer sale of seconds?  Often their seconds are items that were ordered and returned because they didn't fit, etc., and are not defective. Those wash just fine.
Don't know, hope so.   Gotta be at least half off full price to get me to consider it, cheapskate that I am.

LowTech said:
I'm sure there are parts of that big continent where that doesn't apply.  [emoji6]
Being at this latitude, not really unless you go looking for cold.

The rain poncho was worth reading the whole thread. Thanks I had no idea . Now I do!!!

wow Ocean Pacific is still in business. I haven't heard that name in a ages. highdesertranger

I wear heavy-ish cotton socks a lot, but when I was on my feet all day, either hiking in the mountains or working construction/carpentry, Id wear wool socks regardless of the temps. They cushion the feet better. I used to get my dads leftover heavy (Wilson?) wool athletic socks, then started buying the merino wool socks at costco. They were brownish and greyish, with whatever the costco brand name was. They are very good socks and hold up well. The Spenco impact insoles also help, the ones with the gel in the heal area being best. Quality boots far outlast cheap ones and are generally more comfortable once broken in. The Hathron smoke jumper, a logger type have been the best boots ive ever owned and m able to wear them all day on my feet and my feet done hurt at the end of the day. I even wear them with shorts (Carhartt of course) to protect my feet in the thorny country I live in.

I mostly wear Carhartt pants, they wear like iron, vastly longer than jeans, and have extra pockets on the legs I use a lot. I keep a small flashlight in the left leg pocket, and ive never lost a light so carried, which is nice when you like high quality lights like Surefires. The right leg pocket gets pens, clip knife (detest carrying a clip knife in a regular pocket) and various odds and ends that fit when needed.

A good quality oilskin jacket makes very good rain gear, I have one by Australian Outback that Ive had over 30 years and its not been an easy 30 years. Its finally getting to the point that repairing it isnt helping, the fabric is starting to wear through in too many places. A good quality beaver felt hat (mine is a Stetson, but theres other good makers) is good rain and snow protection. I dont like wearing it in the sun, they are hot, and I generally just dont like wearing hats unless Im getting rained or snowed on.

I use the edge safety/sunglasses. Very reasonable price, good clarity and very good protection, they meet the ballistics protection req of the .mil. They didnt meet some other part of the testing, but Im OK with that for the price point and overall quality. Blue or red mirror, depending on mood and whats handy at the moment. Clear ones are good for grinding and saw use, and riding the motorcycle at night.

rokguy said:
Yeah. Southern California too. Except in winter when I add a fleece jacket to my $2.99 100% cotton Goodwill t-shirts and leggings. Or a flannel shirt.
You can tell the tourists because they’re wearing tank tops and shorts. Proving that summer is psychological for some.

Living in Australia, essential attire is shorts and T shirts most of the year round, if it gets cold maybe a Westie shirt. (flannelette shirt) over the T.

Googeling westie shirts comes up with dog t-shirts. A flannelette shirt just comes up as a flannel shirt in different weights. What am I missing or is that a slang term there?

Only been on the road for 3 weeks, but I have been wearing long sleeve polyester shirts to keep the mosquitoes at bay. Long pants as well - polyester. Polyester dried fast and breaths cool. 

Mornings in Leadville are 40 degrees, so a light jacket is required. A good rain coat never hurts. Shoes that are easy to take on/off. A hat for sun protection.