Education & Skills needed to work online from your Rig

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great thread! Found a lot of useful info here and will send a link to my wife. She is an ex yacht chief stewardess and after giving a birth to our baby daughter has troubles to find a job which she would love to do.

If your wife uses Facebook,  have her look up "Yacht Industry JOBS Group"(private group-you have to join) ,  "Yacht Chef"(public group), and "Yacht Chef Wanted"(private group-you have to join).  Lots of listings and many of them for "female" Chefs & Deck Hands.  Jobs world wide and USA/Caribbean/west coast.

With her experience she could find any number of short trips to crew as a substitute etc. (and have time for home life)

Dec 22 21 Today Show "3rd Hour" broadcast an interview focused on Digital Nomads. They looked spoke with a Denver, Co family with a young son who were set out to travel world wide. I was interested to see their rig except they didn't show that, but instead explained how they would base themselves for periods of time in Air B&B or Vrbo (USA) to find various temporary sticks & bricks lodging. A unique idea to me. They were finding time shares, vacation villa's in the off seasons etc as this form of temporary lodging is beginning to become as much of a "thing" as being a Van Nomad. (one would only need a car or simple build rig for doing this) This couple interviewed showed video footage of their life and place they have been living while providing their son with great quality of experience & exposure. They mentioned that the Digital Nomad lifestyle has grown and is up 49% since 2019 but didn't explain the growth of such places as Air B&B or other sites like it.

If one was working in the maritime trade this could be great. If on the rivers or water for 28 days and 14 off, they could be houseless and find lodging in this manner. Then find a large city to explore using a rental car during each off duty time. They could possible be car or rigless the same way. But if doing a 28 on 28 off they may only have to get back to where their rig is stored and travel from there.

You can see this at the NBC Today 3rd Hour Podcast in the link below.

Today Show 3rd Hour 12/22/21 Podcast

Best Sites like Air B&B for 2022

Last edited:
If you have been thinking of working remotely as a virtual assistant or "Digital Nomad" but have been wondering how to get started or learn more about it, this site may hold some valuable answers. "DNW" . (Digital Nomad Week, the world's largest meeting of Digital Nomads)

Digital Nomads or Virtual Assistants (as they were called in the late 90's) are a growing trend in the USA and world wide. There are many types of work they can do online. Just about any office job from accounting, billing, secretarial, inside sales, to real estate, database/logistics and so forth can be done remotely with a broadband/WIFI connection.

• Companies save up to 78% of costs by hiring virtual assistants.
  • Freelancers in the US are expected to reach over 86.5 million by 2027.
  • More than 80% of companies want to use a more flexible workforce in the future.
  • Permanent remote workers are expected to rise to 34.4% in 2021.
  • In 2019, there were 3.6 million secretaries and administrative assistants in the US.
  • Virtual assistants in the US make $32/hour on average.
  • Virtual assistants see flexibility as the most significant advantage of their job.
If there is a downside to being a VA or Digital Nomad it may be in loneliness while working without people around you. But the flexibility it offers may make it so one can still have some time around people if that choice is made. Still some prefer to be off to themselves. You just have to know yourself well enough to know. Many office jobs are giving their employees a couple of days to work remotely to satisfy their needs for alone time and office time to find that happy medium.

Digital Nomad Week is a celebration bringing together 10,000 people from around the world live and online to learn from the worlds foremost experts on remote work & travel.

Digital Nomad Week

Working from home can be a challenge but I would say most people can get the hang of it pretty quickly. I don’t think that a specific education is necessary to work remotely as the most important skills are your soft skills. You develop those skills through life experience and it can’t really be taught.

To stand out while working from home, those soft skills are much appreciated:

• Organisation
  • Flexibility
  • Adaptability
  • Discipline
  • Autonomy
  • Communication

You’ll also need to have a good internet connection and know how to use different online tools such as Zoom, Skype, Microsoft Teams, Slack, Google Drive, Asana or Jira, for example.

Other tips to work efficiently from home include communicating frequently and clearly, understanding your company’s expectations and hitting your targets. I hope this answered the question.

I was just watching a news feature on "Newsy" (a news channel) where they covered a story about small towns across America now trying to attract Digital Nomads. They are realizing that so many people are now working remotely from home.......but.....they don't necessarily have to be close to their employer's facility to do their job. If they would like to be in the sticks and bricks elsewhere, OK. Even if they wish to live in a rig in a place for parking or storing their rig where they could live in a sticks & bricks if they would like, they would have that option. A kind of "hybrid" way of staying in sticks & bricks and having the rig if they wish to travel in their work too. (example of wife and children living in sticks & bricks while dad travels & lives in his rig as a VA or Construction Worker etc. I spoke to a construction worker the other day who was telling me he could make $1500 a week (before Covid) but now does Door Dash from home.

In Newsy's story they visited Greenburg, Indiana and explained how a site "makemymove com" was bringing people to their town or at least exploring the possibility. What is significant about this story is that small towns are now offering money to remote workers to relocate to their town. Greenburg was shown offering $5000 to move there plus they paid moving expenses. These towns like Greenburg are posting ads in "makemymove com" now as they are realizing the growing trends with remote working. Many small towns which have relaxed, safe, environments that are attractive to "people". At one time they tried to lure "Big Business" to come to their areas and build Plants & Factories. Now......it is the opposite, as they want the people who can work remotely.

Give the Make My Move website a look.

Make My Move com

Newsy app

Last edited:
New opportunity for Digital Nomads who would like to work in Agriculture will be emerging as John Deer is introducing Autonomous Farm Equipment that can be remotely operated with a Cell Phone. This will free farm workers from 18 hour days of riding in this equipment, and the equipment could be operated by a crew of remote worker on a 24/7 basis. A major break thru for farmers. This could be a great job for the Van Nomads who would work remotely and not have to have a lot of expensive specialized computer equipment in their rigs. And the remote operators won't have to have experience behind the wheel of such vehicles. Just a good up to date Cell. How about that ?

If you would like to watch AgDay's broadcast here is a link to the site. Just look for the 1/6/22 broadcast.

AgDay John Deer Introduces Autonomous Farm Tractor

Contact John Deer for training information availability

John Deer FAQ

Hi. I am interested in learning skills on how to work remotely. I do not know how to do this. I am a GenX introvert in the United States and formerly worked in the social services field but left due to burn out. Now with the pandemic, I am glad I did. What are some bare necessity types of skills I would need to learn and research to work remotely? How does one find these positions?? Where and how can I train? My goal is to have a small income so we can go wherever we want, whenever we want. I appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Working remotely will require two (or more) sets of skills. One will draw from your real world work experience. which in your case has been social services (and any other work)....which could carry over into many more fields of endeavor. I understand burn out as that is what brings so many into remote working today. The second set of skills will be your ability with the use of computers, cell phones, and apps. Today a lot of companies are setting up apps for their remote workers to use to produce the work functions they need. (more about that below) It is a lot of learning by doing and if you are comfortable with that you don't need much schooling.

As for the computer you would need and additional equipment that would depend on the job you apply for in which case that employer would explain it to you. Or you could make sure you have an up to date computer(with web cam) with current browsers, office software (preferably MS Office) a printer/scanner/copier/fax machine, A Google account, Skype, Zoom, and a Cell which could serve as a WIFI hot spot. Then set yourself up a simple website with your resume, photos of your computer equipment, and a statement of certifications you may have. (I wouldn't post certificates in a website). Rather, if an employer requested them then send them in an email as an attachment.

Remote workers are known by several names such as "VA's" (or virtual assistants) or Digital Nomads as they travel while working to more suitable climates during the year or looking for a City they would like to settle in that has work for remote workers who could come into the office if and when needed. There are growing numbers of message boards including Facebook with "Remote Workers" pages. There you can meet others actively doing this kind of work and find possibilities that would interest you. Possibly you could find leads to jobs thru others you affiliate with.

You may want to set up a Pay Pal account if you don't already have one. Have a bank account with a bank that does business in many states....such as Wells Fargo. Pay Pal payments can transfer into your Wells Fargo bank account. I mention Wells Fargo as they are in almost every state now. Pay Pal can link to your bank account to transfer money into it. But in a lot of instances people you need to deal with may require a local Bank account.

As for App's or applications for mobile devices such as cell phones or tablets, these are small pieces of software designed for specific task and may even work with a larger app a group may use together. Thus a larger app with a few smaller satellite app working with it. New Virtual Assistants may learn to use these smaller apps rather quickly and rotate thru the smaller ones learning them before working directly in the main one. In the past people worked thru websites and then web apps came about. Then mobile apps were developed. But today's mobile apps can do things the others cannot do and use different levels of users to work with them. I mentioned John Deer farm equipment introducing "autonomous tractors" in my last post and their being operated by remote workers using Cell phones. This would be done with an app on that Cell the worker uses. (app's like John Deers may be built specifically for the operating system of the Cell so it can operate with the Cell's GPS (global positioning system and camera display) Other apps may work thru the phone's browser. While this may sound complicated, it isn't. With a few hours of training a worker could learn to use such apps and earn money. Learning to use your Cell's operating system and it's many app's will be of great benefit to you in the future.

If you check employment websites (of which there are many) you may find lots of job offers. Also the websites of large companies & corporations. These will often have "work for us" links in the navigation bars of their sites. Finding work has been done like this in the last 20 years and in the future will likely be done similarly. It may be worth your time to read all thru the post of this sites as there has been much discussion of the things you are curious about.

Face Book/Remote Workers

Top 20 Companies for Remote Workers in 2021

Digital Nomad Hub - Face Book

Purdue University: Free Course on Remote Work

If you speak other languages there is remote work for Translators.

Some places to look for work: FlexJobs, Angies List, Cloud Peeps, Freelancer, Hubstaff Talent,

100+ Companies that offer full and part time remote jobs

Last edited by a moderator:
As I looked thru my regular internet sites this morning, I noticed an ad for free education for those wishing to learn about "copywriting". (producing copy for advertisements, web projects, and product reviews etc) I see offers for free courses all of the time which cater to those wishing to learn to work remotely.

Anytime I've signed up for an offer like this I set up a Gmail account to use exclusively with it. If it is worthwhile, then I can keep all of the activity with that venture in that one dedicated account. If for some reason it doesn't meet my expectations I delete that account. During this Chrona Pandemic many of the Universities have been offering free courses addressing the needs of remote workers.

I'm posting this just as an example with the understanding that it is "free".

Free Copywriting Masterclass: Work from Anywhere

Working remotely will require two (or more) sets of skills. One will draw from your real world work experience. which in your case has been social services (and any other work)....which could carry over into many more fields of endeavor. I understand burn out as that is what brings so many into remote working today. The second set of skills will be your ability with the use of computers, cell phones, and apps. Today a lot of companies are setting up apps for their remote workers to use to produce the work functions they need. (more about that below) It is a lot of learning by doing and if you are comfortable with that you don't need much schooling.

As for the computer you would need and additional equipment that would depend on the job you apply for in which case that employer would explain it to you. Or you could make sure you have an up to date computer(with web cam) with current browsers, office software (preferably MS Office) a printer/scanner/copier/fax machine, A Google account, Skype, Zoom, and a Cell which could serve as a WIFI hot spot. Then set yourself up a simple website with your resume, photos of your computer equipment, and a statement of certifications you may have. (I wouldn't post certificates in a website). Rather, if an employer requested them then send them in an email as an attachment.

Remote workers are known by several names such as "VA's" (or virtual assistants) or Digital Nomads as they travel while working to more suitable climates during the year or looking for a City they would like to settle in that has work for remote workers who could come into the office if and when needed. There are growing numbers of message boards including Facebook with "Remote Workers" pages. There you can meet others actively doing this kind of work and find possibilities that would interest you. Possibly you could find leads to jobs thru others you affiliate with.

You may want to set up a Pay Pal account if you don't already have one. Have a bank account with a bank that does business in many states....such as Wells Fargo. Pay Pal payments can transfer into your Wells Fargo bank account. I mention Wells Fargo as they are in almost every state now. Pay Pal can link to your bank account to transfer money into it. But in a lot of instances people you need to deal with may require a local Bank account.

As for App's or applications for mobile devices such as cell phones or tablets, these are small pieces of software designed for specific task and may even work with a larger app a group may use together. Thus a larger app with a few smaller satellite app working with it. New Virtual Assistants may learn to use these smaller apps rather quickly and rotate thru the smaller ones learning them before working directly in the main one. In the past people worked thru websites and then web apps came about. Then mobile apps were developed. But today's mobile apps can do things the others cannot do and use different levels of users to work with them. I mentioned John Deer farm equipment introducing "autonomous tractors" in my last post and their being operated by remote workers using Cell phones. This would be done with an app on that Cell the worker uses. (app's like John Deers may be built specifically for the operating system of the Cell so it can operate with the Cell's GPS (global positioning system and camera display) Other apps may work thru the phone's browser. While this may sound complicated, it isn't. With a few hours of training a worker could learn to use such apps and earn money. Learning to use your Cell's operating system and it's many app's will be of great benefit to you in the future.

If you check employment websites (of which there are many) you may find lots of job offers. Also the websites of large companies & corporations. These will often have "work for us" links in the navigation bars of their sites. Finding work has been done like this in the last 20 years and in the future will likely be done similarly. It may be worth your time to read all thru the post of this sites as there has been much discussion of the things you are curious about.

Face Book/Remote Workers

Top 20 Companies for Remote Workers in 2021

Digital Nomad Hub - Face Book

Purdue University: Free Course on Remote Work

If you speak other languages there is remote work for Translators.

Some places to look for work: FlexJobs, Angies List, Cloud Peeps, Freelancer, Hubstaff Talent,

100+ Companies that offer full and part time remote jobs
GREAT Article and response Wow! Lots of very useful information

C|net has a follow on article on the John Deer fully autonomous Farm Tractor making a lot of news right now. One of these is on display at the Los Vegas Tech Show presently. If you have a good broadband connection there is a video in the c}net article below. They give a glimpse of the Cell Phone app(s) used to operate this tractor from the smart phone.

This would be ideal for Digital Nomads as it would free farmers to be farmers and tech people to take a load off them and extend the range of their productivity.

John Deere breaks new ground with self-driving tractors you can control from a phone

Last edited:
For those desiring to learn more about working remotely, here are some articles about working as a VA or Digital Nomad.

Some remote workers will work as an employee for a company or corporation. Often called Telecommters they work from home (or a rig) and are like any other employee. There are those who work as "free agents" or freelancers who may license themselves as a small business and contract to work, be retained (like you would retain a Lawyer), or work assignments (Gig's) for whatever they can get or what best suits them and the work they do.

Understand the Remote Worker concept began in the later 90's but only a decade ago did it really begin to take off. Since Covid it has grown at a fantastic rate. This has led to some issues with old school managers and companies who just aren't up to the task of using remote workers and there is push back from them. Before long this circumstance will pass as they retire and more up to date and more experienced personnel replace them.

One of the things that is likely to happen is the expansion of online Entrepreneurship.
As people work online they will build their skills to where they can begin to consider being an entrepreneur. In the meanwhile they can continue working as a virtual assistant, Telecommuter, or Gig freelancer. If their attempt at a business fails, then they can always continue working as they always had.

So here are some articles for those who would like to learn more.

Expect ‘huge battles’ over working from home between employees and bosses soon, says Stanford professor who’s studied remote work for 20 years

27 Newest Remote Work Statistics for Ambitious People

4 gig economy trends that are radically transforming the US job market

Does the Gig Economy Promote Entrepreneurship?

Last edited:
Working with Technology in Agriculture is growing. Not all the jobs are necessarily for remote workers. One could still live and travel in their rig but physically work on the farm if that appeals to them. And a lot of people would enjoy a tech job on a farm.

Back in the 1950's some Dairy Farmers began experimenting with playing soft music on the radio in the barns where the cows were housed, fed, and milked. They found the cattle responded quite well to the soothing music and production increased. Something new was experimented with lately. Placing VR hoods on cattle kept in the barn thru the winter where the VR display was of the summer pasture fields. Making the cows think they were outside enjoying nice weather.

The cows in this experiment were giving two gallons more milk a day. Again, even low tech people could do this type of work and free the Farmers to do more important things that would increase their productivity & profits.

https%3A%2F%2Fs3-images.ladbible.com%2Fs3%2Fcontent%2Ff54971a761d83741ca9e388bd977bd53.jpg

Youtube video

Dairy Cows wearing Virtual Reality goggles

Hi I wanted to offer another opportunity although I'm not sure it's been mentioned already. If you have a Bachelor's degree, and like kids (and have a little relevant experience working with kids), you can teach English to Chinese kids online with programs like VIPKid. You can do this remotely and just need a strong internet connection. I did this for a little while but because you are working with Beijing time zone, I found it too difficult because of lack of sleep (I was working full time at an office at the same time I was working for VIPKid). That said, it's a really fun job and there are loads of resources on youtube for how to get hired and what the job is like. If you are fun with kids and creative, you'll probably have a blast. As far as I know, at least when I was hired, the main requirement was having Any Bachelor's degree, and showing experience working with kids. My own qualification for the experience with kids was tutoring my friend's son with his homework, so it can be as easy as that (or was, back when I was hired, which was pre-pandemic).

Another opportunity if you are creative is to use Canva and the like to create social media content calendars for clients (along with a little copy), or graphic design which you can use for all sorts of things like branding, creating book covers, designing fliers, etc. You can find work with Upwork or reach out to businesses and organizations directly. There are a lot of organizations that could use help with their social media/PR strategies, so if you know how to grow their following authentically, you can make a living because often big PR firms don't want the "little fish" of smaller or non-profit clients (think authors, professional organizations, very small businesses just starting out) - while these would be enough money for a single person working on the account, especially if you have smaller expenses as you are living out of a van. Having worked at a PR firm, I saw first hand how the big retainer clients were sought after, like insurance companies, banks, etc., while small retainer clients were not considered as much because it would be a waste of resources to service a client that could not afford to spend high enough to cover it. However one person working those "little fish" accounts could make a living, and it could be part-time work as well for them.

If you are a good artist, decent copywriter, and professional the client will retain you and that's a fun way to make a living. This is what I've been doing part time while caring for a family member. Not living in a van yet but this is the type of work that can easily be remote (well, it is remote, but you can take it with you on the road) so long as you have internet on occasion when you need it. There are some expenses to cover software programs you might use but 1 good client or 2 clients should more than cover it.