Do locals not like van dwellers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony's Dream

Reaction score
I recently spent the night at a free overnight camping spot.  The local law stopped in to visit with me.  He kept asking if I would be better off staying in a hotel.  I asked if I should be concerned about staying there and he said, no not really but he said the locals don't like people coming and going, and staying here for free.  They see these people as free loaders.  I got the idea he wanted me to stay at the hotel and give the community my hard earned money.  Do you think the locals see us as free loaders or free spirits?

I don’t stay anywhere there is even a question of whether I’m welcome. Usually I do try to make myself welcome by giving back to the community by staying at an all night dinner and buying a meal or getting gas at a local truck stop that is 24 hours and then staying the night as well as buying something at places that allow overnight parking. Locals do pay taxes for police and fire protection as well as hospitals which if you stay there you get also. I would probably ask the officer where would he prefer I park or just go park in truck and trailer parking for the local motels as most have open parking. Bottom line is there are plenty of places I can park where I don’t cause anybody a problem, why would I cause a problem in the first place? Offer the cop a cup of coffee make a new friend and move.

If you're spending money on gas,food or whatever I'd think the local businesses would appreciate that.

So the cop has complete knowledge of how the locals feel?

Do they not like it simply because it's free? Or do they not like it because some transients cause trouble?

If the area is regularly trashed out by transients, I could see them feeling that way.

You can't generalize about what locals think of us passing thru. It will be different all over.

Some will welcome us others won't. If you're not causing trouble, should be no problem.

BTW: Was this just one night? If so, who cares what the locals think.

Was this "free overnight camping spot" near other houses/neighbors ? I would be very leary of vans coming and going near my 10 acre rural farm (And i DO pay attention), and have been here for 25 years with no problems whatsoever, so the local sheriff trusts me, and my long time neighbors...free loaders, and free spirits ? Not so much !

He wanted you staying in a hotel because you won't cause the locals any stress worrying about your intentions !

Not many on this forum will speak the truth I just spoke, but this is the overwhelming opinion of most homeowners who have worked their fingers to the bone making a safe place for their kids to play, only to be frequented by roamers, and drifters (for all we know they are) !

“ free camping spot“. If that’s what it really was they should be used to others using it to. Who owns it who designated it a free camping spot. Others are certainly right people look at us as drifters and shady characters. And there are some of them among us. I was recently on the Outer Banks of the Carolinas. Multi million dollar homes everywhere, it didn’t take me long to realize the kind of people who are there don’t want a van or RV in Their are ritzy neighborhood. Of course the major thing is appearance of the vehicle and of you. Chances are if you look like a bum you are a bum. Not always but that’s what most people think. People talk about stealth vans and I laugh at it because I think there are very few people who can actually stealth park in an urban area and get away with it. As I go by I know just by looking at it there’s somebody living or staying in it or has the potential of living in it.

I sort of discovered by accident that my van is a stealth van in a different sense. My rig is a van with a homemade set up inside with a box for a potty and no running water like your typical CRVL van build. But because it’s a conversion van one customized for travel that has a high top, captains chairs, a fold down bed in the back, and a “camper like” paint job. Plus I have an RV “port hole” To bring an electric cord in or my solar cord out to a portable panel. With these things it looks very much like a fully equipped class B. So it fits into some places better than a cargo van because it looks like a class B motorhome. So in places like Walmart and other big box stores, cracker barrel, or highway rest stop‘s that accept RVs overnight I fit in. Seems that if somebody has a rig that is or looks like a “real camper“ no one questioned you. But if it looks like a cargo van they are suspect ”oh there’s one of those drifters”. I think that the impression is that if somebody sees a rig that costs as much a a class B they are less suspect than a cargo van. Another thing is what can they say like in the cab are their piles of stuff boxes and cords or whatever.

The way I see it is, if it's not posted or their is no city ordinance, its ok to park for the night.

I understand the problem with vagrants, and the homeless, and high crime rates, when I look for someplace to park for the night this is what I lot for.

I spent several nights at Walmart, and a lot of of the time the "no overnight parking" is because of crime and the homeless, but to harass somebody just tying to get a nights sleep without bothering anybody is a bit to much.

That conversation seems outside the parameters of law enforcement, to me.

If you were parked illegally, his responsibility was to tell you to move.

If you were legally parked, informing you were unwanted by the locals seems a little tacky, and not something within his job description.

it is neither here nor there cause every location will be so varied ya know.

like WRose said.....if within your legal rights for your free spot, you are fine but the cop is throwing out 'his opinion' and just telling ya the vibe of your local area. Other places you would be welcomed and left alone so?

be courteous and not the 'bad apple' of the whole group dynamics and we just better the imagine of free camping and van dwelling and more each time it goes well for all I guess.

Where I am the only objection is pouring bodily fluids onto the street (that move will get every single RV kicked out) and not moving your RV when it’s a giant hideous eyesore. And some are literally in tatters, metal tatters. I have sympathy because I’m poor and have always struggled but when you buy a $5 million dollar home you don’t want people dumping trash and feces where you walk your kids and pets.

Don’t stay in one place. And use public restrooms at supermarkets or wherever, many are open to the public.

That said we have a PetSmart and Walmart in an otherwise empty shopping center that has become an ad-hoc RV park and no one complains. They do complain when 30 of them are parked on main streets just off residential streets. When I lived in my car I parked behind buildings either business or supermarkets.

I drive a local quite often and probably 80% of the time there is least 1 RV parked there, its outside of town along a state highway and no one seems to have a problem with it.

Now if you drive into town that's a different story.

This is such a cringe topic.

nothing but class warfare. Property owner rights are limited to what they own ONLY. If they have a problem with having to navigate trash or view the "others" they should live in a gated neighborhood and never leave their bubble.

A town is not their personal HOA... regardless of how try to enforce one in their city limits.

If ANY activity is not specifically forbidden by LAW... you can do it.... diesnt matter how nosey missus bates feels about it.

these are the same people who oppose purple hair and nose rings.. the people who think mens hair has to be cut above the collar... the very same people who are mad that minorities are "ruining" the neighborhood.

Tort Law is great and i would sue any of them for harassment when engaged in a lawful activity.

We ALL pay taxes and have the right to public land and services..even the poor... unless forbidden by LAW.

if they dont "like" looking at my van from the confines of THEIR property lines... i suggest buiilding a fence or closing the curtains... because if there is no law against my activity... Im staying!

fireworks are legal in my town...one crabby crone attempted to get the city council to ban them. She failed and during the 4th festivities hundreds of people thoroughly enjoyed launching all sorts of boomers on the roadway around her house...

Many property owners have been used to their "privilege" for sooo long they don't see how much the world has changed and it infuriates them.

oh if they only knew what's on the horizon... next thing you know the govt will be putting low income subsided housing in wealthy suburban enclaves.... watch the heads spin then.

The OP mentioned a free campsite. He didn't elaborate how long he stayed, or what type of free campsite it was.

More details needed to judge. He didn't say it was in a residential area.

From what he wrote, it doesn't seem like he was intending to 'squat' there.

Thanks for your feedback. I am always nice to people....until it's time not be nice. When I find a place to stay for the night, my daily routine is to gas up and restock my supplies. I talk with the people and often seek advice on where I might stay and not be a bother. If I see a police officer, I might flag him down and talk with him/her. That way I know if the town has laws about where I can stay and it alerts them that I am in the area and keeps them from knocking on my door at 2:00 am. :)

My van is a cargo van and not to decked out from the outside.....meaning it does not look like an RV or camper. Most of the time I am traveling through and just looking for a place to stay for the night. Once in a blue moon I will stay a couple of days. My plan is to travel through every state in the lower 48 in a five year period. Exploring the parks and historical sites. I can't do that by staying in motels every night, so low cost or free camping is a major money saver for me.

Maybe the cop's brother-in-law owns the local hotel.

How would you describe this campsite? A pullout at the side of the road? BLM or other public land?

A closed business? How close to town was it? In a residential area?

Small town or city? Lots of variables when it comes to free campsites.

desert_sailing

You seem to have hit the nail on the head as to the OP's question "Do locals not like van dwellers".

Guy

Sounds like you were in the wrong place at the wrong time. The police were probably doing a vagrancy check of the area.

Try not to frequent those areas and maintain your vehicle and appearance. A complete set of hubcaps can make a world of difference. Try to keep a clean and clutter free camp site when boondocking on public lands.

Stay safe, well and positive.

My plan is to travel through every state in the lower 48 in a five year period. Exploring the parks and historical sites. I can't do that by staying in motels every night, so low cost or free camping is a major money saver for me.

-------------WOW that sounds like a ton of fun, out and about exploring and enjoying the country......and yea, also just use as many rest stops and you know, Cabela's parking lots, Cracker Barrels if you can......you know that drill LOL and it is smart to ask a cop or local person when gassing up and more if there is a local county park that has overnight camping on the super cheap or maybe a free spot around town. Sounds like to me you are doing everything in good form!! Cool

I think a lot of people have the preconception, or misconception, that people sleeping in vans are addicts, mentals, or some other kind of degenerate. Anyone not fitting in with their status quo life does not compute in their thinking and must be bad.
The cop offering suggestions of staying a hotel, STFU, if he's telling you to move it along fine, otherwise he needs to move it along IMO, but again, if the general thinking is as my 1st part, then yeah I'm sure he was offering a "friendly" bit of advice in his mind.

I'm not generally happy to see strange cars/vans parked near my rural farm on private land (farm lane, tree line, etc) i'm not going to approach the van, but might have the local sherriff do a "well check" to ensure the driver is OK. This might be construed as bullying by the LEO, but better safe, than sorry !

Do you really think the law enforcement officer wants a confrontation, I would lay odds that his holster is unbuttoned in his approach to the vehicle in this day, and age !

I tend to agree with this, there are simply too many crazy people out there, I have remounted the dash cam in my car because of all the idiot drivers out there. Something as simple road rage can turn into a gunfight.