Do locals not like van dwellers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Video of angry homeowner that thinks he owns the street as well.

keep the video running and get call records.

So the original question is do local homeowners like van dwellers and nomads. My answer is as a nomad I don’t like locals.

You know, I am not a vandweller but travel in an older ClassB, and do have a small sticks and bricks.

Tho I respect everyone’s need to be somewhere, if people living in vehicles set up residence by or near my house, I would not like it.

I think it is important to find a spot that is neutral, for lack of a better term, so as to try to live peacefully with and amongst others who don’t share your lifestyle.

This is what i'm trying to say also, I have lived in a rural setting for 25+ years now(no sidewalks, or parking, only privately owned farm fields, and woods) If someone sets up out here, I m calling the sheriff, because that -IS- trespassing !

I'm not speaking about parking spaces at the curb !

The OP never did describe what type of free campsite it was.

3/4ths. of the discussion in this thread has been about stopping in near proximity to someone's property.

There are 1000s of free campsites of all types that don't invade on someone else's space.

Not doing that is just using common sense.

The OP here WAS talking about PUBLIC space... in case you missed it... it's stated in the very first post.

Also if a person does not own the land  they do not get to decide who is trespassing or not. That is up to the property owner and not anyone else.

if you would like to start a thread about your skill at patrolling pther peoples property and tips to do so...your welcome to it.

This thread is not about that.

I would like to know more about this 'free' campsite. Was it in a small town, was it in a 'bad' part of town, is there some laws in this town for forbids overnight camping?

The little town I live in everybody knows everybody else, and a lot of these small towns are run by a small group of elite rich people.

Right, it would help to know.

All that was mentioned was that the cop said that locals didn't like people coming and going and they thought people were freeloading.

If it's public property, too bad for them. If it was that close to town or whatever they could pass an ordinance.

There was no mention that they didn't like it because it was too close to someone's property or that people trashed it or stolen cars were stripped there or anything else.

Not even freelaoding, more loitering I think.
But if it's not private property and there's no signs indicating loitering status or other to to indicate moving it along, I can't see they can do anything.
Sure they can say something, or even run your info, search your vehicle for some probable cause, but as long as you're legal and not doing anything illegal, I like to think things work out.
If a vehicle stops in front of your house, in or out of ordinary, unless you live in a secured development it's a public road.
Now if said vehicle is there more than overnight or something, that's kind of asking for trouble especially if you're in an out of place neighborhood or stand out.

It all depends.
Depending on the "locals", on the "vandweller", and on the location.

"free overnight camping spot", was there a posted sign to that effect, or was it listed on a private web site listing free campsites?

Anyone who’s here regularly knows that my tongue was firmly implanted in my cheek on my last post. But I understand there is a little truth in every jest. Remember I’m the guy who tries to keep peace with everybody. But I do get ticked off every once in a while because of snobbery and “class dysphoria” With some fancy homeowners it’s the same as it is with some fancy rvs. My van may be old my build may be simple but I’m a reasonable person Passionate about keeping things clean And respecting everybody. It would be a lot easier to do if they weren’t so many idiots around. This world would be all right if it wasn’t for people.

Sorry, I was not more specific about where I stayed. From what I was able to find out, this used to be a state park or state lake. The state was not making much money with it and was neglected over the years, so they turned it over to the county. The county had the same problem so it became more of a swamp. Then some of the "locals" invested in the park, cleaned it up, and created some over priced RV parking sites. The county entered into a local agreement with the town but insisted that most of the area, about 80%, had to remain open to the public....or primitive camping since the county is not very populated. It also allowed some free camping to encourage park usage. A few years earlier another local built/remolded a small motel (10 rooms) but it was over priced so it didn't get a lot of business. So there was a local war of the rich kids in town. The police office must have been related to the motel owner. :)

I think we are dealing more with Class Warfare.

I visit one other RV forum, but I don't post there, it seems to be geared more for Class A pushers. But the attitude of some of the posters is obvious, they look down on some of the lower Class RV's.

One of the members likes to bragg about his Residential Refrigerator and how its so much better than a LP/Elec model, but what he doesn't tell you is, he has 600 amps of Lithium batteries and 1500 watts solar. He spend over $10,000 on upgrades just to run his Residential Refrigerator!! But it keeps his Ice Cream cold!!

My LP/Elec fridge works just fine.

Tony\ said:
Sorry, I was not more specific about where I stayed.  From what I was able to find out, this used to be a state park or state lake.  The state was not making much money with it and was neglected over the years, so they turned it over to the county.  The county had the same problem so it became more of a swamp.  Then some of the "locals" invested in the park, cleaned it up, and created some over priced RV parking sites.  The county entered into a local agreement with the town but insisted that most of the area, about 80%, had to remain open to the public....or primitive camping since the county is not very populated.  It also allowed some free camping to encourage park usage.  A few years earlier another local built/remolded a small motel (10 rooms) but it was over priced so it didn't get a lot of business.  So there was a local war of the rich kids in town.  The police office must have been related to the motel owner. :)

So since the 'locals invested in the park' they think they now own it. I can see why it never made it. The locals want to keep it for themselves, kind of like a private HOA.

Its best to just avoid places like that, and find some other to park.

Following up on my earlier post about the other forum, one of the posters considers Boondocking as having just an electrical hookup.

OP----if it has some free camping areas set up for use on that 'now county' park and you are legally parking, yea you are fine. The cop was just checking ya out :) And there are limits to the use of any free sites in county/state parks etc. so it is wise to know those limits put on them, each place is always so different. If you are stealthing in a parking lot or whatever then that is just winging it ya know, but once you drove into a county park you do come under their rules for use. So it is best for all to always find out that type of info so you know your boundaries safely.

Heck, there's lots of nomads I don't want near me either, lol.

According to a portion of society we ARE freeloaders and an unknown level of danger, depending on how they interpret my presence.

It seems.

In the small city where I am holed up sheltering in place until the all-clear, overnight parking is by permit only.  The permits are free but you must get them at city hall during business hours.  Name, address, vehicle license, where parked, and reason.

The county park outside of town is by permit also: $8 day or $80 annual, $10 a night camping.  A lot of businesses sell the permits.

IMO this is the future: fee based use of public lands.

Latest posts