Do locals not like van dwellers?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From the posts it is clear SOME stix and brix folk think van life/ rv folk find us as suspicious for engaging in legal activity.

implying that ONLY stix and brix people are the only ones to work their fingers to the bone.

importabt point... the vast majoriry of crime is committed by people living in a stix and brix.

I live in a small town of 1800 people, so of course anybody from out of town gets noticed quickly.

A Black guy I used to work with had a Purple Corvette he got stopped a couple of times coming through town just so they could figure who he was.

A great tool for anyone who feels they are being or have been harassed is to get the report of the initial call.

That report will give you the name and address of the originating call/cause.

A tort claim can then be filed against that person for harassment.
Of course a civil suit is very easy to win. Once you have the won the civil case..(fast to do)... you can use it as a basis to file a criminal case against the originator for filing a false police report.

Most regular folks don't read laws nor do they want ndetstand what they read. They settle quickly.

Use the law to protect yourself...thats why it is there...laws are here to protect us all... yes even those of us with green hair or hair below the collar

Anytime you are paid a "visit" for engaging in lawful activity..
get a copy of the call report. ALWAYS.

Freelander said:
I live in a small town of 1800 people, so of course anybody from out of town gets noticed quickly.

A Black guy I used to work with had a Purple Corvette he got stopped a couple of times coming through town just so they could figure who he was.

A town of 1800 probably has a pretty small police force.

With the first stop they "could figure who he was".  It was probably the purple Corvette that prompted the stop.

You'd have to wonder why there would be a second or third time.

slow2day said:
A town of 1800 probably has a pretty small police force.

With the first stop they "could figure who he was".  It was probably the purple Corvette that prompted the stop.

You'd have to wonder why there would be a second or third time.
Absolutely it was because of the purple corvette... im sure that community couldnt fathom how a black man owned one... highly suspicious activity in their eyes.
They surely expected him to be in some sort of jalopy.

I think they get bored and need something to do. We don't have any crime to investigate. We don't have any stop signs or traffic light on the Main Street. The main drag is about 2 miles long, early in the morning and late at night if you know where to look you can spot a cop parked at each end of town waiting for speeders.

When I was bring my RV home, I passed through a small town about 10 miles away, it was about 1:00AM, I see several of there city cops have cars pulled over, as I drove past the Kum&Go it the south end of town one of the city cops pulled out and followed me for about 1/2 mile waiting to catch me speeding. I knew better then that I had been caught along that piece of road before.

desert_sailing said:
Absolutely it was because of the purple corvette... im sure that community couldnt fathom how a black man owned one... highly suspicious activity in their eyes.
They surely expected him to be in some sort of jalopy.

This Guy is super nice, almost died in Vietnam, was at Khe Sanh during the Tet Offensive. I have a LOT of respect for him, yea he had Gold in his Teeth, and a nice car, but he was just driving through town.

Freelander said:
I passed through a small town about 10 miles away, it was about 1:00AM, I see several of there city cops have cars pulled over, as I drove past the Kum&Go it the south end of town one of the city cops pulled out and followed me for about 1/2 mile waiting to catch me speeding. I knew better then that I had been caught along that piece of road before.

That's normal for all police depts. probably checking for DUI. No problem there.

Some municipalities do fund things with speeding fines. Some are really famous for it. That's why I always stay within the limits.

And people wonder why I am a hermit and don’t like being around other people! When everybody starts treating everybody else as a human being maybe I won’t mind living around them. I used to have a Charlie Brown poster that said “I love people, it’s humanity I can’t stand.” Funny to think that was over 50 years ago and it hasn’t gotten any better!

slow2day said:
And yet was pulled over because he was evidently "suspicious".

I know it's illegal to stop someone just to check their ID, it's called a 'Terry Stop'.

im right with you bullfrog.

it is great that you had the foresight to remove yourself from cannibalistic cultures the best you can.

cultural cannibalism is exactly why a small, bluewater, full keeled, junk rigged sailboat is in my very near future.

this darn plandemic put me behind schedule.. the marine systems school is was to attend this past fall was cancelled...and with all the lockdowns it was essentially near impossible to go shopping along the West coast...so it goes... just gives me another year to save cash for more gear.

Anyone want to go halfsies on a larger boat???
Seriously!

We all just need more understanding of others and realize it's nothing personal.

people we must not attack other members. several post have been deleted by a few different moderators and there is talk of closing this thread. I am afraid if the personal attacks don't stop we will have no choice but to close it. highdesertranger

desert_sailing said:
im right with you bullfrog.

it is great that you had the foresight to remove yourself from cannibalistic cultures the best you can.

cultural cannibalism is exactly why a small, bluewater, full keeled, junk rigged sailboat is in my very near future.

this darn plandemic put me behind schedule.. the marine systems school is was to attend this past fall was cancelled...and with all the lockdowns it was essentially near impossible to go shopping along the West coast...so it goes... just gives me another year to save cash for more gear.

Anyone want to go halfsies on a larger boat???
Seriously!
Sorry I get seasick. Good for you getting on the water. 

You know there is boondocking for boats too. Link to boondocker boat video, but no junk sail.

-crofter

i am delayed a year at least now..so will be saving every dime my worked to the bone fingers can scrounge up..lol.

i get seasick too... i figure  its a fair trade.
Im ready to boondock on the bay....but for the very near future its the phoenix wallmart...sigh..

cool vid... everyone should have a landing craft!