Definitive locations?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tav-2020

Reaction score
i am a little over a year out still, planning & saving for a 6-8 month journey each year with a home base.

i have also read many posts here about buying a plot of land and parking rv as part time home base. i know there are various state and local regs to research as well. 

my question: is there a short list of the easiest locations to do what you want on your own land without red tape/hassles?  i def want my home base to be for summer so that i might do little gardening. but i do not enjoy the humidity and critters in the southeast, so probably anything south of Virginia in the east would be off my list for a base.

sell me on a location to look for land! short of sticking a pin in the map i am wide open for options. i have already googled rv living on your own land so do not need info in that vein. i really want to hear your top two-three choices of where you would pick and why, in line with my desires:
My primary desires:
1. no red tape/hassles or hoops to jump through to be legal
2. area/ground suitable for a vegetable garden (i.e. not a desert location)
3. maximum two-hour distance to airport for emergency travel.

thanks!
tav
mods; i put this in RV as it relates to rv living and was not sure of alternate thread to use - move if it belongs elsewhere.

Anyone living in such places would be wise to not attract more like-minded neighbors.

Land-use regs and how strictly enforced can change anytime, and usually do as soon as the established landowners see stuff that might degrade their property values.

The more remote, less water, more bugs, harsher climate, rougher roads etc, the more likely "freedom and tolerance" might last longer than in the more attractive places.

Only real security would be a bigger group going in together to buy where they can **be** the local government.

But then y'all would have to be responsible for all the hassles of preventing turning into another Slab City.

John61CT said:
Anyone living in such places would be wise to not attract more like-minded neighbors.

- not looking to hone in on anyone's turf or even have neighbors. just want some suggestions of places to start researching available land and local ordinances.

The more remote, less water, more bugs, harsher climate, rougher roads etc, the more likely "freedom and tolerance" might last longer than in the more attractive places.

- two hours from nearest airport? in my neck of the woods that gets you to some fairly remote areas...but i only know the northeast well, want to look into other areas of the U.S.

I wish I'd been smart enough to just ask this, on a forum like this, years ago. Probably would have saved me a LOT of research but I learned a ton of info in the process.

There are tons of sites re: climate, growing seasons/zones, elevation, water.

More specifics and I could give some directions to look, maybe. Size of acreage, off grid or not (that was a key term for me, I wanted "off grid"), budgett, no restrictions or some restrictions, etc.

thanks for the input.

rm.w/aview: thank you for the links to land sites -- i had heard of landwatch before but not ruralvacantland or countryplacesinc. great resources if you know where you are looking!

MaTaLa: to answer your question, relatively small acreage -- less than ten. what i am looking for from forum members is just suggestions of places to research/look.

wagoneer: thanks for the suggestion...that's what i wanted!!! as i stated above, sticking a pin in the map has not been working for me :)

I don’t know about all states but in Kentucky land purchase that is over ten acres can qualify as a farm and the property taxes will be MUCH lower.

Might want to check the state you may be interested in.

Many states only let your "farm" claim slide a few years before checking you're actually operating as a farm in reality, generating a certain level of income from it.

There are all kinds of agricultural exemptions for land. Check the Agricultural exemptions of the state you are planning to buy in to see if one of their exemptions could be used and acreage requirements.

My father-in-law used to have a hay field exemption. Used most of it himself but did sell a few rolls too.

He also leased land for hay that had that exemption.

Buy it and lease out the majority of it, use the rest.

So plant some trees. There is your tree farm.

I planted 225 pecan, black walnut, hazelnut and chestnut trees this spring/summer.

A wonderful idea, if the site's conditions are viable.

Gift for the grandkids and the planet.

Cammalu said:
So plant some trees. There is your tree farm.

I planted 225 pecan, black walnut, hazelnut and chestnut trees this spring/summer.

It's a great idea, but to be legally considered a farm for tax and zoning purposes it needs to meet some criteria, which varies by state and sometimes county.  Here is Minnesota's requirements:

In the absence of minimum acreage and gross sales requirements,
the Department evaluates such factors as the acreage in production; capital investment and business assets; gross sales of crops, livestock and livestock products; the type of enterprise and number of years in operation. If needed, the Department also evaluates a number of other 
factors, including, but not limited to:

1. 1)  the landowner’s intent (especially for “start-up” farms);
  2. 2)  whether the farm is operated in a businesslike manner;
  3. 3)  time and effort spent on farming;
  4. 4)  whether the landowner, or their advisors, have the knowledge needed to carry on the
    farming activity as a successful business;
  5. 5)  whether the landowner was successful, or has experience with, similar activities in
    the past;
  6. 6)  whether the landowner can expect future appreciation of the assets used in the business; and
  7. 7)  whether the landowner’s investment is at risk.

That’s why I said check your areas. No problem where I am. If there are rules they are never enforced. I had 120 acres that was never farmed and the taxes were negligible.

I’m on 14 acres now and have never planted anything but a small garden until this year. I have two homes on the property, barn, sheds, etc and the taxes are less than 150 a year.

I have seen a lot of YouTube videos about people buying land in west Texas and trying to live off grid on it. Most of them are going bust. Buying one of these people out could be a solution.

Esmeralda County Nevada is mostly patented mining claims.
Goldfield is the County seat and is a bump in the road on US 95. Not even a gas station.
There is no nearby Walmart, HD, etc. 150 miles South to Pahrump.
Tonopah is closer than Pahrump, but has no big stores. Family Dollar and a Scolari's (which I like).
Goldfield has my favorite NV DMV office.
Other than that not much. Your garden would have the closest veggies.

wayne49 said:
Esmeralda County Nevada is mostly patented mining claims.
Is that good or bad for dwelling without needing to make improvements?

150mi, pfft, I know plenty of commuters do that daily, shopping expedition once a fortnight is NBD

wcurtin1962 said:
I have seen a lot of YouTube videos about people buying land in west Texas and trying to live off grid on it. Most of them are going bust. Buying one of these people out could be a solution.

Living off grid in W TX is easy. Trying to make a living? Yeah, not very likely. 
Unless they have a great restaurant or some type of service related business for people who are simply just driving thru!

Living off grid in west TX might be easy, if you had enough solar A/C to overcome the heat.

Riverman said:
Living off grid in west TX might be easy, if you had enough solar A/C to overcome the heat.
Or a large generator. We're in South TX and my cousin has managed to live off grid for several years now and started with a generator.