2017 Ford E450 Cutaway & Flat Towing

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willow4303

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello good people of the forum! I have a 2017 Class C motorhome built on the Ford E450 chassis. I also have a Jeep Wrangler two door Sahara with a six-speed manual transmission.

I would like to flat tow the Jeep, but my Ford Chassis manual says that I should only flat tow in an emergency--drive no faster that 35 mph and no further than 50 miles. I see class C motorhomes flat towing vehicles almost daily. Does anyone know if the Ford E450 Cutaways have jenky rear axles? I did some research on the web and couldn't find anything saying that I could or could not flat tow, other than the manufacturer supplied manual.

So far, I have not towed anything with the motorhome, but both the rig and my Jeep are going to need emissions tests this fall before I can renew the registration. I can probably recruit a friend to drive one of the vehicles while I drive the other, but that's gas for two vehicles traveling around 1000 miles. If I don't have to do that and can actually flat tow, I would rather do that.

If flat towing is an option, I'm looking for recommendations on an affordable tow bar with brakes. The Jeep weighs around 4000 lbs.

As some of you may be aware, I have the motorhome listed for sale because I'd like to get something smaller, but in the meantime, the rig is my home and I intend to continue taking proper care of it. I have been in a remote location doing a camp host gig for the last couple of months, so had no internet and didn't want to drive the rig into town to get a connection.

During the camp host gig (I have another starting in a week or so), I discovered that I really don't like having to grocery shop in the rig, but do not want to do anything that is unsafe or that may damage either vehicle. Your advice is much appreciated, as always! :)

Thank you!!
Willow

I think maybe there is a little confusion here. The Class C manual is referring to towing the camper with something like a tow truck. What the towing capacity of the Class C camper is the first concern. If the Class C has the towing capacity after verifying the weight of the Jeep as towed on a certified truck scale the next problem is many states require a remote activated braking system be added to the towed vehicle, so check that out with your travel plans. What does the Jeep manual say about flat towing the Jeep? Many manual transmissions/transfer cases require the engine to be running and in gear to properly lubricate the rear output shaft bearing. Towing in neutral the rear wheels continue to turn that bearing throwing off the lubricant after a short period of time. It is best to disconnect the drive shafts from the differentials when flat towing to prevent accidental engagement of the drive train which would destroy it most likely and prevent that bearing from turning eventually destroying it. There are plenty of companies out there that supply everything you need to flat tow but it gets expensive quickly. Front tires on the towed Jeep also can wear more as steering doesn’t always work as well when the input is from the road instead of the vehicles steering wheel. Most people if they have the towing capacity simply pull a car hauler cargo trailer so that if the Jeep breaks down they can still travel with it to get it repaired. It is easier to buy/sell a trailer than a tow set up in my opinion. I have flat towed several vehicles over the years. My Suzuki Samurai is half the weight of your Jeep and I have towed it thousands of miles with our Toyota Sequoia by a simple bolt on tow bar after unlocking the front hubs and removing the rear drive shaft. Aftermarket companies make drive shaft disconnects and manual locking hubs for both front and rear axles for most vehicles as well. Tire wear of expensive off road tires, drive train wear and getting too old to remove and install drive shafts eventually convinced me to trailer instead of tow. By the way when I flat towed with my motorhome my fuel mileage dropped about 2 to 4 miles per gallon again with about half the weight you will be towing.

Last edited:
I think maybe there is a little confusion here.

Yep, I was confused, the towing information in the manual is clear as mud, even on a third and fourth look. Thank you for all of the additional information, including the hit to your miles per gallon, I was prepared for the hit there. ;)

I already weighed both vehicles and calculated the towing capacity of the motorhome. The two door Wrangler (unmodified) is a touch under 4000 lbs and the tow capacity of my rig as currently loaded (including after market additions) is 6000 lbs.

My Wrangler has a manual transmission. According to Chrysler/Jeep, I have to turn the key to the accessory setting and put the transmission in neutral. Flat towing is supposed to be possible without causing damage and the right equipment. :)

Yes, you can flat tow something else WITH the motorhome, but the motorhome itself should not be flat towed, except in an emergency such as pulling it after its disabled on the highway, to the next off ramp, for instance.

Most Jeep Wranglers can be flat towed, but a certain procedure is involved, and additional equipment will be needed:

https://www.quadratec.com/c/reference/flat-towing-jeep-wrangler
https://www.etrailer.com/faq-flat-tow-package-jeep-wrangler.aspx
Thank you for the info, I have been looking for the necessary equipment and it does get pricey pretty quickly! I have saved the information provided here, and will probably have a friend drive the Jeep to Az so I can get emissions, renew the registration, and have it with me for my next work camping gig. :D

What year Wrangler? As mentioned above, there are very specific ways to flat tow a wrangler, depending on the year.

What year Wrangler? As mentioned above, there are very specific ways to flat tow a wrangler, depending on the year.
It's a 2016 Sahara 2 door. It has a 6 speed manual transmission and a dealer-installed tow package. There are no after-market modifications (no lifts, larger tires, etc.) It has all-terrain tires (Bridgestone AT). I replaced all four tires last fall with the same tires that were on it when I bought it. :)

You do know there are many places in Arizona to be a resident of that do not require emission inspections, right?