Cummins Canoe (A Stepvan Story)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Working on more electrical things. If there is one thing that makes sure everything else works well, it's electricity. Cities would come to a standstill without electricity. So would construction sites, as everyone knows that electricians actually run the show. Well, I guess the van will still get around and do stuff, but the electricity will make it all the better!

51021558381_57bec2975c_c.jpg

Got the batteries fully wired up with some nice big cables. We'll build a shelf up above them for additional storage. And I guess the door to this cabinet will also have a vent on it so these batteries can get some fresh air.

51021558431_30ca783900_m.jpg

Many of the components are very close to one another. No enough room to run cables between, and will save lots of money by making our own buss bars out of 0.5" copper pipe. Just flatten it in the vise and hammer bends into them. Drill holes to go onto threaded posts and all good. Not sure how many amps these could carry, but I'm sure it's at least what we need, and the runs are extremely short.

51021659422_d17c928540_c.jpg

The inverter is huge and was the first piece to be mounted. Oriented it right in front of this vent as these need lots of airflow. It had the option to hardwire it, so that's what we did.

51021558516_59a13cf1e2_c.jpg

The rest of the components mounted. Having this side panel removable makes things very easy for servicing, but most times the hinged seat lid will be just fine. This space filled up quick. During the build my brother suggested to get a way to charge the rear battery bank while driving, off the alternator. In case of days when sun just isn't doing it. We have 600watts of solar, which will be sufficient for our needs. But if you have 4 days of rain, that might leave you in a pickle. So the blue box here is a dc to dc charger to charge the rear batteries from the front. The solar charge controller will be mounted outside the cabinet on the wall later, as we planned to have it out there so we can read data and fiddle with it. Plus, there is no more room in this electrical cabinet for anymore stuff.

51021558576_d3c3edff99_c.jpg

Everything mostly done in there. Still need to hook up the wires for the dc to dc charger, waiting on fuses. Still have no way to charge these lithiums. We been using them, and everything seem fine. They are still almost full and haven't been charged since at least summer 2020. Just for that I'm sold on lithiums. I would never imagine leaving lead acid deep cycles sitting for 6-8 months without charging. The circuit breakers for all the solar and the 12v fuse panel are mounted to the bottom of the seat lid. All the wires are in wire loom and fold down nicely when the seat is closed. The gas strut has just enough power to hold the seat lid open with all that extra weight.

51021659577_7fdc09c7ef_c.jpg

Here it is all closed up. Nobody will ever suspect what's in there! Got two vents for air flow, should be enough me thinks.

51021558656_510e04908e_m.jpg

And got all the controls installed on the wall. The top switch is a three position selector for all the outlets between shore power and inverter power. The middle switch is to control the inverter. And the bottom is for the battery shunt, which tells you all the data about what's going in and out of the battery bank.

Working on more essentials. Methods of heating up food and being able to communicate to the passengers that you would like said food heated up.

51030323563_7c446b1830_c.jpg

[size=small]Every rig needs a microwave! Right?[/size]

51031152312_ec22115638_c.jpg

[size=small]Holding it down was quite easy, just these wood blocks screwed down at an angle holds super strong. Wanted a universal hold down method without drilling into the microwave.[/size]

51031152352_7b5f70b3ac_c.jpg

[size=small]We think the space above microwave will be a bread bin.[/size]

51031152407_189f58cf31_c.jpg

[size=small]Got the solar charge controller installed. No solar panels yet, but this is a good place to store it. Also got the intercom system installed and wired up.[/size]

51031152482_1a98c0310f_c.jpg

[size=small]These hooks work great for storing the headsets when not in use.[/size]

51031152557_cc37ce2f20_c.jpg

[size=small]Oh look, even a puppy approves![/size]

I store my bread, tortilla's, etc. in the microwave/convection oven as otherwise it would be an unused space. My van came with a wood strip at the bottom in front of the feet to keep the microwave from sliding out the front.

Keep up the good work. Looks great.

PlethoraOfGuns said:
Oh geez! That's scary! You are very lucky! I don't trust hydraulics, so I always use jack stands. And now I don't trust hurricane force winds. We all need to keep our guard up! I think I recently had my wakeup call.
I only use wood blocks under mine, stacked in a square like house movers do. Jacks stands are just not stable enough for the weight even on solid concrete.

Yes, I'm sure the microwave will be used for storage, probably more bread. But the puppy might be on par with the microwave. They are both great companions! And the puppy might make a great driver. Probably better off with a dog than human because nobody can drive manual anymore. I keep wanting to ride in the back as a passenger, but I'm the only one who can drive this monstrosity!

Yes, good ole wood blocks. We use those to stabilize things like vehicles in rescue scenarios. Very strong and much less wobbly! One needs to take care when lifting anything. And don't lift your giant van up during a hurricane!

Let's do some plumbing!

51052106012_2bb8c41591_c.jpg

[size=small]We got the holesaws out and made a bunch of semi-random holes under the sink cabinet to the exterior. Did I mention how awesome having an aluminum floor is?[/size]

51051295598_15341d67db_c.jpg

[size=small]Installed rubber grommets and bulkhead fittings where lines are going to be going through floor.[/size]

51052110062_d31982f60d_c.jpg

[size=small]The water heater is all wired up. It can be powered by 1500w of 120v or with coolant lines from the engine or the diesel hydronic heater.[/size]

51051299158_66b36b98c7_c.jpg

[size=small]Overkill is underrated. It's what we had laying around, haha. But boy, this vise is really getting some good use![/size]

51051299933_a34854eda7_c.jpg

[size=small]Running all the PEX pipe we found that heating them up helped set some nice bends.[/size]

51051301563_7b0c047089_c.jpg

[size=small]Another stressful day. Cutting in the sink. It barely had enough space to fit.[/size]

51051303233_88d1ac0a82_c.jpg

[size=small]So tight, we had to make these lil holes with a forstner bit for the clamps to grab onto. Sink came out of the trash, but unfortunately had to go find these sink clips at the store. Never used them before, pretty crafty.[/size]

51052034591_aaf4eb5d49_c.jpg

[size=small]Oofta! Got everything to fit. It looks like a mess, but everything is pitched just right so everything can be gravity drained. Also got the heater fan mounted. Will run the coolant lines and diesel heater install maybe next week. The water pump ended up in a really silly spot. Not going to be fun to change, but that's a later me problem.[/size]

51051304603_e8be935215_c.jpg

[size=small]Yay, we have running water! What a game changer this will be! So used to washing dishes in two rubbermaid containers.[/size]

Now that we have running water, we need a way to clean ourselves off...

51051317008_36107f9f64_c.jpg

When we cut in the water tank fill port thingy, we measured and almost cut in the shower box next to it, on the passenger side of the van. Last minute we decided not to as we came up with the plan to stick it here, in the passenger side mudroom step area.

51051317203_9afb5a61cd_c.jpg

Takes up no space there. Increases stealth aspect since we don't have a giant white box on the exterior that says shower on it. Who cares if it leaks or makes a mess. And this is now the lowest plumbing in the system so opening the valves drains everything.

51051317338_64274fb23c_c.jpg

Piping came through grommets in floor under sink and makes a turn right into the back of shower box. The shower box is drilled and tapped into the thick aluminum body with brass screws.

51052045436_a142ae7021_m.jpg

Shower time! Who wants to take a nice hot shower under the stars? Grab a ticket, get in line. The cheap shower head leaves something to be desired. Water pressure is terrible, coverage is small, and it leaks and dribbles everywhere. We feel this thing will waste lots of water during use. We want something more efficient, powerful, and still have the ability to shut off at shower head to conserve water. Any suggestions?

PlethoraOfGuns said:
 We want something more efficient, powerful, and still have the ability to shut off at shower head to conserve water. Any suggestions?

I had the same dribbly shower head in my trailer shower, it wasted a lot of water and the pump cycled continuously to keep up with the leaky showerhead. So I ordered a cheap kitchen sink sprayer with hose; none of the fittings were compatible so I cut the hoses and sleeved the sprayer hose onto the shower hose with a short piece of tubing, then clamped the hoses to the sleeve with a couple pex crimp clamps. Absolutely no dribbles or drips, it's very handy to operate the sprayer, and it's a more controlled spray with much better pressure and the pump runs a lot less.

IMG_2872.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2872.JPG
    IMG_2872.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 13
You might want to consider an accumulator if you don't have one in your system as it will keep the pump from running so much and help keep a steady pressure.

My recommendation is an Oxygenics shower head made for RV's.  Low flow with a good spray pattern.  The cut off valve that comes with it leaks through the shower head (to keep the water warm).  I replaced it with a Danco valve to shut the water completely off.  I just replaced the Oxygenics valve.  Turn the valve on leaving both hands free to do your business and then turn it off.  Easy one handed operation.

On the water heater, I used a remote oven thermometer with the probe stuck between the insulation and the tank.  I set the alarm for a temperature that is comfortable for me according to where the probe is placed.  97 degrees gives me a nice steamy shower on mine.  YMMV.  This way I don't have to waste water mixing in the cold with the hot to get that just right temperature.  I turn on the hot water valve only and catch the water in my coffee pot until it runs hot.  Waste not, want not.

All very good ideas. I think we still want something that can mount so we can go hands free. Also makes easy for the occasional group shower! But one thing I'm seeing is that all this shower stuff is 1/2" NPT threads, so that is nice and easy to make your own custom rig. The Oxygenics stuff is pricey! Do they really work that well? That Danco valve would be perfect! I understand that the dribbling water is an anti scald device of some sorts, but we're not worried about that as we have a thermostatic mixing valve in the system so the hot water to the faucets isn't too hot.

They are kinda pricy but IMO well worth it. The stock showerhead in the van was untenable for me. The white one is cheaper. I didn't hesitate recommending this as it looked like you were doing quality stuff.

The "Smartpause" valve keeps the water moving so you don't get a blast of cool water when you turn flow back on as the water cools in the line when flow stops for any length of time. I changed to the Danco valve to stop the flow as I found that I didn't leave the water off long enough to cool down a lot. When it is cooler in the van, the water cools quicker.

I'm ok spending money, but I only like spending money once. It's mind bottling that it's just a shower head, but it makes all the difference. will look into the research for upgraded shower head now that I know that they just unscrew and change very easy. Only plan on leaving the water off for shorter than 20 seconds at a time, so a lil cold water ain't gonna hurt. We're not that pampered! Haha, ok maybe a little bit since we have a hot water shower.

Latest posts