Crofter's Online discussion and check in chat includes any health condition

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sandbags are offered at Yuma Civic Center on Desert Hills Drive starting today.  -c

crofter said:
The forcasters do say that dry desert air will cause the storm's winds to stop blowing.  Fingers crossed.  -c
Oh yay! Wind is down & expected to break up. So 6 hours of rain was not that bad.    -c

Official report. From Sunday afternon...

The U.S. National Hurricane Center said Nora would keep dragging along the mainland shore of the gulf and was expected to weaken into a tropical depression by Monday night. Moisture from the storm could bring heavy rains by midweek to the U.S. Southwest and central Rockies, the center said.

Guess I will try to stay put where I am for a while longer as I am situated on the crest of a small hill with basically gravelly soil. No flash flood issues will happen at this particular campsite.

Sounds like a plan. I am on a mesa, so pretty safe though I do get water going by my door.

On their last Nora alert wind was down to 35 mph with gusts higher. Looks like the track has veered inland toward Tucson then north. I saw some big storms passing by behind the mountains this afternoon headed north.
-crofter

Steamy this morning at 51% humidity and 94 degrees F by 9am (in the low desert at 141 feet elevation), with a cloud bank approaching from the south. Could turn out to be a cooler day once its overhead.

Yesterday topped out at 106 degrees and humid which does not sound that hot, but I will have to admit that after hiking for a mile I was done and seeking creature comforts. Popped in and visited someone with good AC.

I have finally received my ESA dog letter, professionally signed and pertinent to me & not the animal. The letter makes me sound like a wimp, oh well. I may be in line to get a smaller mutt type canine from a friend who is going walkabout. This site is full service and fast, but spendy.

www.esadoctors.com

Wishing everyone a great day as we enjoy the last blast of summer.
-crofter

@desert sailing
Thanks for the informative article on Mectizan for human use.

Article states that the research has been going on since 1970, animal testing in cattle, and human use annually just under 100 million people using the treatment for the past 20 years. As with the sheep, most of the illnesses cured involve a flying insect and a larvae but also parasites like ticks, lice and scabies, list includes River Blindness, Elephantiasis, Strangles, Heartworm, roundworm, hookworm, whipworm, black fever infection from sandflea bites, ticks, lice, scabies, and others.

Though these are sub tropical illnesses, global warming may bring these to an area near you, if you did not travel to the tropics. For 6 bucks, taking the dose every year might be worth it.

So a not new treatment in humans and considered safe in the aporopriate dose, mostly against tropical ailments, but quite successful against the listed illnesses. Annual dosing required, Available in tablets.
-crofter

I was surprised at how long it has been in use by humans and such a large number of uses.
Reminds me of the Dr. Bronners soap... wash the dishes and brush your teeth. 18 different uses!

Americans are very fortunate to not have a routine need for it.

crofter said:
Also consider toxoplasmosis, an illness spread by cats.
Link to article on indoor cats and One Health. (I have feral cats in my area)
-crofter

https://abcbirds.org/blog21/cats-zo...2e45a4-2010-ec11-981f-501ac57ba3ed&ceid=26552
"Toxoplasmosis is actually the second-leading cause of death among foodborne illnesses in the U.S."  wow!

Had 2 cats in my lifetime... never let outside. The coon hounds would have got em... plus it was a sanitation thing in our house...  I like kittehs but they get into too many things... not keen about the litter box and then have them crawling everywhere....

94F and 51% humidity is miserable. I’ve been forcing locals to check our humidity levels at 94% last week and in the 80’s quite often. I can take 120F with 10-20% humidity (hello Phoenix) easily but the humidity kills me. I think it worsens my inflammation.
Dry heat actually heals me. I hope you have access to a pool.

LERCA said:
. ...I hope you have access to a pool.
I actually stopped swimming as the pool water was irritating my skin, and I would spend a couple hours after swimming putting on skin cremes trying to stop the itch. So no pool time for me. I try to use the cool parts of the day for my outside time, and I am blessed with a large and breezy shade with a citrus tree, so really not that bad.

Yesterday high was 107F degrees with a low overnight of 83 degrees (at 141 feet elevation in the low desert). Humidity has been up and down between 25% to 50% on my digital gauge. Currently only 104 F degrees though will heat up a little more before 5pm.

Those monsoon clouds are really helping to break the back of our summer heat, though locals tell me there is usually another brief hot spell in October.
-crofter

Just had a big boom rattling the windows, hope it was a sonic boom. Very chill morning has not quite topped 100 degrees at 10am. Yesterday's high was 107F with a low of 82F  in the low desert at 141 feet elevation.

Not much on tap for today: watering my mother's flowers & doing some sewing repairs & alterations to clothing. A few stitches in the wear spots can extend the life of your favorites.
-crofter

Article in the Arizona news today that influenza cases are already being reported. They are recommending getting an earlier start on flu vaccinations this fall. Meaning they recommend getting it right now rather than waiting until later in the fall. They are hoping to prevent an early major outtbreak of influenza as hospitals are already overwhelmed with the other respiratory virus cases.

Not too surprising the flu season is already here as I noticed that the public school year started weeks earlier in Arizona than in some other states.

I will check with the Walgreens in Flagstaff and see if the flu vaccine for seniors is available and if not when it might be. Having mild chronic bronchities means getting the flu is very bad news for me. But at least I do have a cortisone prescription on hand just in case as well as good supply of inhalers.

Early flu shot is an interesting push. I usually get mine in October so it will last thru early spring. Wives tales say the immunity lasts 6 months, or maybe the flu virus circulates & mutates just that fast. Oh we are so studied up on viruses these days.

Yesterday's high was 110F with a low of 84F at about 4am (at 141 feet elevation in the low desert). It did feel hot and I used chill its so I could get my outside stuff done. Still 110 degrees at 6pm yesterday on the van thermometer. Currently at 10am just topped 100F.

Getting some clouds from Olaf which is in the lower Baja area. No rain here though.
-crofter

Hopefully the monsoon season in northern Arizona is going out with a whimper. No rain in the foecast for this for this nnext 7 days in daysthe Flagstaff area.Predicted high of 83 all week with stong breezes coming up in miday as the temperature rises, then tapering off as the temperature drops. Good time to come and boondock in the Coconino Forest, school is in session, kids are in weekend sports so it is not at all crowded camping. : )

Highs have been at 106 degrees F with the low in the mid nineties for most of the night. Pre dawn temps a little lower at 141 feet elevation in the low desert, though it is taking longer to warm up, topping 100 degrees after 11 am today.

Had a visit from the wild cats last night. When they see me they think of canned fish & water. Lots of moths & crawlies for them to eat too.

I am looking forward to spending some time in the forest if there is any left after this fire season: over 600 fires listed on the fire map and some large acreages burned.

Pope has come out in favor of the jab to end suffering, though Vatican does allow employees to suffer excessively if they choose to.

BBC News - Covid-19: Pope puzzled about vaccine hesitancy in the Church

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-58573892

I prefer minimal suffering and will jump through many hoops to avoid illness, including eating nutritious food. My latest effort is fresh garlic tonic in the morning meal. I cannot just pop in a fresh clove and chew it up like some travellers. For best results should be mashed up to release the oils, either by chewing or mashing. Good thing I like garlic.
-crofter

& BTW we also now know why some athletes were off their game at the Olympics earlier this year. Yes rape culture even affects stars at the top and thanks to the cover up by investigators went on for years. Must have been torture for the athletes involved.

Oops, the investigators were only incompetent, disorganized brutes, not doing a cover up. And thanks taxpayers you are paying for their fat gov pensions as the flubbing investigators are now "retired."
-crofter

Cspan video
https://www.c-span.org/video/?51454...ify-larry-nassar-sexual-assault-investigation