Corona, What’s Next?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Random testing recently done on a relatively small sample of people in New York indicate as much as 20% of the population there may have been infected with this virus.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...ted-a-fifth-of-new-york-city-testing-suggests

I also read something yesterday about coronavirus identified in 15,000 different people thru the testing of untreated wastewater. One of the small New England states, I think.

It is clear that the virus is widely carried by people who have no symptoms and never become ill.

Very sobering, in my opinion.

Gee spiff, I thought you understood from the other thread what happened in NYC. 6,000,000 people every day rubbing elbows in close quarters on the subway, not to mention on the streets and in cafes. People were infected and the virus spread before anyone knew what was going on. That being said, gobmint denial still ruled the day up until 2 months after Wuhan had already locked down.

1shemp said:
Please don't take a certain individuals advice and drink or inject Lysol.
Yeah, who the hell came up with that idea? OTOH, to be scientifically correct, you can't just drink it, you have to "inhale" it into the lungs like yer doing weed. And if you inject it, just be sure yer needle is properly sterilized beforehand. (ummm, this is rank sarcasm in case anyone took it seriously).

1shemp said:
Please don't take a certain individuals advice and drink or inject Lysol.

If someone is stupid enough to follow that advice then too bad for them.

Of course now the certain individual is claiming he was just being sarcastic.

That's what we need more of during this pandemic. Sarcasm!

Qxxx said:
Gee spiff, I thought you understood from the other thread what happened in NYC. 6,000,000 people every day rubbing elbows in close quarters on the subway, not to mention on the streets and in cafes.

NYC sees 63,000,000 tourists each year also.  During those 2 months of thinking it was 'no big deal', there were about 10,000,000+ visitors from all over the world in the city. Including visitors 'from the rest of the country' that may have been carrying the virus.

Qxxx said:
Gee spiff, I thought you understood from the other thread what happened in NYC. 6,000,000 people every day rubbing elbows in close quarters on the subway, not to mention on the streets and in cafes. People were infected and the virus spread before anyone knew what was going on. That being said, gobmint denial still ruled the day up until 2 months after Wuhan had already locked down.

People are still rubbing elbows on the subways in NYC.

https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/04/23/coronavirus-new-york-city-subways-conductors/

I have friends that have to ride it everyday.

I'm not going to argue why NYC is a disaster; why punish the rest of the country?

WanderingRose said:
Random testing recently done on a relatively small sample of people in New York indicate as much as 20% of the population there may have been infected with this virus.

https://www.npr.org/sections/corona...ted-a-fifth-of-new-york-city-testing-suggests

I also read something yesterday about coronavirus identified in 15,000 different people thru the testing of untreated wastewater.  One of the small New England states, I think.

It is clear that the virus is widely carried by people who have no symptoms and never become ill.

Very sobering, in my opinion.

It makes this whole situation harder. Two people in my inner circle have non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. I don't know when I'll be able to have dinner with them or hug them. When I embarked on my journey in January, I expected to be visiting them right about now. And it's not just being unable to see them - it's also being unable to see the people who live with each of them, including my sister.

To me it's clear that life can't return to anything like normal until we have the means to be reasonably sure we're not infective. A vaccine could do that, but so could a reliable and easy home test.

Spaceman Spiff said:
I'm not going to argue why NYC is a disaster; why punish the rest of the country?

Mainly because there are many problem areas in the rest of the country. 

Arizona has just under 6000 cases and 250 deaths. Not huge figures compared to NYC but the governor and most mayors support lockdowns.

Spaceman Spiff said:
There are many other states that have high covid counts, and many that don't. Obviously the Governors of various states want to keep it from spreading if possible, while waiting for the feds to get their act together. It ain't pretty. There are a lot of places I wouldn't want to be right now.

Unfortunately, all the places that make up probably 80-90% of U.S. GDP are in the red zone.
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html

slow2day said:
Mainly because there are many problem areas in the rest of the country. 

Arizona has just under 6000 cases and 250 deaths. Not huge figures compared to NYC but the governor and most mayors support lockdowns.

And the virus hasn't finished spreading yet. Still a lot of opportunity out there for an enterprising virus.

BTW, telling us how to avoid getting sick and/or how to avoid making others sick, especially when those others are likely to be near and dear, doesn't strike me as punishment. It strikes me as exactly what I most need. There wouldn't have to be orders if it was clear to more people that no one is making this up.

I was looking more at the NY Times page. It has an interesting map. Scroll down to "Where cases are rising fastest". You can see the doubling time for the county where you are currently located. There are a number of counties, especially back east, where the doubling times are just 5 days or so. That means full-scale uncontrolled growth, per what that epidemiologist Kucharski mentioned on the other thread.

Eg, in Phoenix and Vegas, the doubling times are up around 20 days. There are a bunch of counties in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia and N.Carolina where the doubling times are just 5-7 days.

Matlock said:
New York Times Link access requires a subscription or an account.
Hard pass here............. can you copy and paste the image/text?
Most pages on NY Times do require subscription (PITA), which I did not do either. However, that particular page openly works on my laptop. Image captured below, although on the page itself it's interactive and you can blow it up and get info on specific counties. But this image should give you a clue. Remember this image indicates "rate" of infection. In the darkest areas, the doubling rate is about every 5 days.

Not to fear, spiff. Some states like Georgia are already talking about opening up things. Even though you will notice from that map that GA has multiple counties with very high ongoing infection rates. They can be the control group.

It does seem like there may be overreaction in some areas, but I wouldn't actually be too surprised if life is "almost normal" in those places, albeit the restaurants, etc, are closed down for inside dining. AAMOF, in my own small city, the traffic does not seem to be all that less. I can see one of the major traffic streets and it's heavy continuous flow. 

People are running around outside, and not taking clear precautions, even though the Governor has the state in "lockdown". [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]And the police are not cracking down at all. [/font]My next door neighbor is working full time from home. The mailman comes every day as usual. Maybe lockdown is overblown, except in places where things are really bad.

Still early to tell but with a highly contagious virus it's only common sense that high density areas would have to do more.

Unfortunately there's been a very broad brushstroke used, oppressively, imo.

Media addicted public easily swayed by some fear mongering..."to what end?" probably needs to go in another forum somewhere

Qxxx said:
Some states like Georgia are already talking about opening up things. Even though you will notice from that map that GA has multiple counties with very high ongoing infection rates. They can be the control group.

There may other control groups as well.  Political rallies may soon start to happen again.

My Mariachi/jug band is raring to go.Anybody wants to party give us a call.We play anything you want as long as it can be rendered on a fruit jar.Why wait for the apocalypse when we can bring it now?Our music will drive you nuts and that is guaranteed.Requests taken for a small donation to the musicians benevolent society.Best wishes to everyone and a special tip of the hat to the moderators of this fine forum who insure that "Never is heard a discouraging word and the skies are not cloudy all day".

jacqueg said:
You know, before this, I would have assumed that in a pandemic, the US would have been in the top tier of nations with respect to an effective response. Boy was I ever wrong.

If this nation was working as a nation that cared about all of its citizens, the feds would be moving heaven and earth to make sure that hospitals, medical personnel, and our public health system were getting all the support they needed. 

They're not doing that.
Synchronicity, I just read, on another forum, the almost exact post.
I agree as well.
Last few decades of electing special interest lackeys, bipartisan, for political positions is bearing fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.