Corona, What’s Next?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DLTooley

Reaction score
I am thinking we are going to be seeing a LOT of people making the transition to the full time life as they lose jobs and housing - descending into areas that have lost much of their traditional tourist economy.  

This could be a good thing.

After corona there is margaritas or pina colada, possibly fortified with a distilled spirit.

I have to agree that when ppl give up on the rat race their only choice is to reinvent themselves. Some may choose to be dwellers, it's not for everyone though.  I think the cityfolk who live to camp are the naturals to become dwellers.

I camp hosted near the metro of Portland OR and we were packed with people who live to camp. Seattle metro area is the same. Midwesterners take it to a new level with hunting camps and fish camps that go on for months. Denver winter campers are even more hard core.

The "more roots" people will buy up 5 acre parcels and build cabins. A new level of development in margin areas of the wild lands. People building cabins will eventually want a strip mall within walking distance, so there goes the neighborhood.

-crofter

If we follow the course of China, the immediate aftermath will be wearing masks for many months. Although I had not heard this before yesterday, Beijing was also locked down the week after Wuhan, although not in as total a manner.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/04/life-after-covid-the-view-from-beijing.html

It will be nice to be able to return to the outland places, because then we won't need the masks out in the boonies. Presently, I cannot see as far ahead as crofter. China is 2 months ahead of the US on all counts, so we need to watch them closely.

I'm sort of hoping the shortcomings of our social system to deal with problems that deal with the poor/working poor has finally made the wealthy realize that they are affected greatly as well by these other people's problems and will finally help to find solutions in areas like health care, wages and housing.

It will be hard for people to hang onto their mortgages once they get a few months behind. Even with a guv program for housing loans, not everyone who qualifies will be helped by it. With personal debt, it just keeps mounting. The only way forward is to eliminate debt from your life.

However for those with money, get ready to buy up all those foreclosed houses and flip them. If you are a dweller, plan on parking in the driveway while you flip it.
-crofter (a pessimistic optimist)

I live in the boonies and still have to wear a mask when I go into our market.

Next - slow recovery attempts and when restrictions are lifted - more outbreaks of C19, leading to more lockdowns in various places.

People become more creative and start their own sustainable businesses rather than relying on others to employ them.

Maybe, I keep my eyes open and focused on the present
Too much fear in the future. Check the trends, act accordingly letting go of attachment to outcomes, comforted by knowing you've done the best you can.

If this pandemic doesn't convince people that we need universal health care,nothing will.

What's next?  I won't even venture to guess.

But I know what I will do when businesses start opening again.  I will go to my favorite cafe and have a meal cooked by someone else because I am SICK of my own cooking with foods that have a long shelf life.  No more rice! No more pasta!  No more beans!  I want a huge salad with fresh crisp veggies.  And fresh fruit.  Watermelon!  Pineapple, mangos, kiwis.  If I was in Texas, I would give my C19 check for a Whataburger #5, double bacon cheeseburger with jalapenos and yes, supersize the fries with spicy ketchup to dip them in, and a gallon of real coke.  Burp.  Ahhhh.

bullfrog said:
I'm sort of hoping the shortcomings of our social system to deal with problems that deal with the poor/working poor has finally made the wealthy realize that they are affected greatly as well by these other people's problems and will finally help to find solutions in areas like health care, wages and housing.

I’m hopeful that’s what will happen this time around, but I’m not so optimistic about MOST of the wealthy.

Why waste time speculating over this? It is the time to live your life one day at a time in a very carefully considered way. Also be sure you vote even if you don't think your vote matters. Because it is the politicians whose votes will determine the economic measurements that get made and the health care provisions as well.

Great. Maybe SF got shamed into it because other cities were doing it. I'm just glad homeless people are getting a break and a safe place to try to survive for a while.

travelaround said:
Great. Maybe SF got shamed into it because other cities were doing it. I'm just glad homeless people are getting a break and a safe place to try to survive for a while.
The people going into the hotels are primarily those at highest risk such as those over 60 and individuals with compromised health issues such as breathing issues, diabetes and heart problems including very high blood pressure. The rest of the homeless population will remain in shelters with the beds set up a measured distance of 6' apart. The funds that were designated for better programs for the homeless including new shelters is being spent on the hotel rooms. So while it is a temporary stop gap in the long term it is a big disaster that will mean less help for the homeless over the next several years. The cities are going broke at present so funds are going to be in very short supply for all kinds of social support systems after the crisis is over. There is a bottom to the well you can only take just so much out of it.

Of course the city buying up thousands of hotel rooms has the underlying benefit of keeping the hotels from going under. San Francisco has a lot of income from tourism. So for the city government knows it must help support the hotel business and the hotels know they must cooperate and allow the homeless in to keep their business from going under and to keep staff employed. But it does also help reduce the death rates.

The rest of 2020 and all of 2021 is going to meet the backhanded curse of ...."I hope you live in interesting times" because they surely will be just as interesting as the start of 2020.

I haven’t been able to shake off the deep sense of impending doom I’ve been feeling for the past 6-8 weeks or so.

I am unable to look yet at what will happen when this is over, because I’m not at all sure we have kept from going over the cliff.

I still feel we are teetering on the brink, leaning ever further towards free fall.

So much needing to be put in place to allow our economy to reopen, and people allowed to move about freely, such a feeling still of our country being a rudderless ship.

You know, before this, I would have assumed that in a pandemic, the US would have been in the top tier of nations with respect to an effective response. Boy was I ever wrong.

If this nation was working as a nation that cared about all of its citizens, the feds would be moving heaven and earth to make sure that hospitals, medical personnel, and our public health system were getting all the support they needed. 

They're not doing that.

Americans are stronger than you might think. We have recovered from wars and depressions and eventually triumph again. It will take time and we will gain wisdom and maybe change a few things for the better. Meanwhile, I agree with Stargazer's victory approach, but will opt for a medium rare steak, loaded baked potato, and a chopped salad with candied pecans...and definitely the Real Coke..double burp!

jacqueg said:
You know, before this, I would have assumed that in a pandemic, the US would have been in the top tier of nations with respect to an effective response. Boy was I ever wrong.

If this nation was working as a nation that cared about all of its citizens, the feds would be moving heaven and earth to make sure that hospitals, medical personnel, and our public health system were getting all the support they needed. 

They're not doing that.

Yep, and as the man said “ We go to war with the leader we have, not the one we wish we had”.

Status
Not open for further replies.