Blue Flame Heater

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMooney

Reaction score
Can you do that in a cargo trailer on thermostat?

don't know. first off what is a blue flame heater? are we talking Olympian? highdesertranger

If the blue flame heater is thermostat capable, I can't think of a reason why not. Just be aware that a byproduct of burning propane is water vapor.

I've used both blue flame and infrared LP heaters, and with both manual heat settings and variable hydraulic thermostats.

On the 10k and 15k btu heaters, I have had a couple of the thermostats fail, and after the warranty is past, the thermostats are about half the price (or more) of a brand new heater.

If you want a wall-mount (residential style) LP heater, I would recommend the 10k btu with manual heat control...

You have a choice of one infrared brick, or two, and the manual heat control is just about bullet-proof. I'm sitting next to one right now that is about 15 years old...no problems, works like the day I bought it.

tx2sturgis said:
If you want a wall-mount (residential style) LP heater, I would recommend the 10k btu with manual heat control...

Pardon me for quoting myself, but I need to clarify this and I'm past the edit window.

For a wall-mount residential LP fueled heater in a small trailer, I would recommend the 10k btu infrared style (2 ceramic bricks) with the manual heat control.

These units will give you good performance, reliable, safe, operation, and the cost is very reasonable, around $100 or so. You will of course also need a regulator, tubing, and fittings.

I glanced and thought I saw "Blue Flame beater" since it's in Miscellaneous Vehicles.

An old trashed Corvette maybe towing a camper.

I have a blue flame wall heater in my house that is thermostat controlled, but too many btu for a small trailer. Works fine and puts out a lot of heat but I much prefer sitting in front of an infrared heater like a buddy heater. Most of the heat from the blue flame heater goes straight up.

There are some small portable sized blue flame heaters. But you may get better performance out of the Olymian heaters for such a small space. Find or request the fuel consumption per BTU data and make your decision based on price, performance as well as size and safety features. Make a spreadsheet and put checks in the boxes. Spread sheets are useful when making decision of A versus B versus C versus D. Price can be one of the columns in the spread sheet. A spreadsheet helps reduce confusion and helps prevent emotional choices by making it easy to see the logical choice.

Thanks Maki2, I should have included the Olympian Catalytic heaters in my recommendations, but I was mainly trying to stay on the topic of wall-mount LP blue flame heaters with thermostats and their 'cousins', the ones with manual controls. 

The largest Olympian Wave Catalytic is 8000 btu, and has no thermostat, whereas the typical blue flame LP heater is 10,000 btu (and up) and available with a hydraulic, built-in thermostat. Olympian Wave heaters typically put out less (near zero) carbon monoxide, so they are much safer if the occupant will be sleeping with the heater in operation. 

Other than btu input/output and features, another difference between the two different styles is price. A typical wall-mount 10,000 btu blue flame or infrared LP heater can be bought for around $100, whereas the 8000 btu Olympian Wave 8 Catalytic heater is around $300 to $350.

Having used them both, and several others, in the past and currently, I believe the Olympian Wave 8 is the better option, but if price is a factor in the decision, or there is a lot of area to be heated, then the infrared LP heaters I mentioned will certainly work in the OP's situation. Wave heaters DO need to be covered when not in use to keep the platinum pad in good shape. Infrared and blue flame heaters have no platinum pad so they don't need to be covered. 

Disclaimer: All safety measures (in the use of these un-vented LP heaters) by the installer and owner are assumed.

Most propane heaters are not rated for high altitudes. Above 6,000 feet they may not burn at all or may burn putting out a lot of carbon monoxide. Lots of places in California and Colorado are above that.
If you wake up dead, don't come crying to me. (old joke)

The Wave Catalytic is supposed to be good up to 12,000 feet.

I have used my Wave 3 at just under 10,000 feet several times....but I have not used the infrared or blue flame heaters at that elevation.

I believe yall said Olympian does not have a thermostat. That fact takes it out of the running for me. A wall heater hits a lick and goes off . It's off 90 percent of the time . No one could take it not shutting down .

Olympian Wave Catalytic heaters do not have a thermostat, but they DO have 2 or 3 heat levels, depending on which model.

Setting one on 'low' will silently put out a very gentle, low amount of heat, all night long...very comfortable and very safe.

The blue flame and infrared heaters make some noise as the thermostats click on and off, and the sheet metal expands and contracts causing clicking and snapping noises, based on the fluctuating heat level. Plus they do emit a bit more carbon monoxide (CO)...so be sure you have a functioning CO alarm.

Its a trade-off.

Infrared heaters do put out a little more CO . It's a trade off. I dont want this to sound like an arguement. I very much appreciate the response. I always have question with this type of thing. One stays on low and doesnt go off and the other only stays on a small percentage of the time. How do we know how much its putting off. The answer is we dont. Because of unknown variables. The latter I have experience. If an area to be heated or cooled is super insulated and has a very minimal loss of air then the energy would be minimal to keep it the same temp. . Then you better dam well have a co meter is right on. You actually need some air in this case . I live in a space like that . I freeze to go to the bathroom or cook . I relax and sleep warm on minimal expense like the guy I wrote about that put a Chinese diesel heater in the bedroom of a large motor home not running its central unit. I'm getting off subject sorry.

If you are dead set on what you want to do you are not going to consider what the other people are saying anyway. That means that you came in to get reassurance rather than advice.