I Want Buddy Heater Safety Tips

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i took some pics. the cover isn't coming off. the snow we got a few days ago was so wet it's like concrete now. can't even knock the snow off the battery. i stuck my phone inside the opening and got some pics. last pic shows the temp inside the trailer this morning. current temp outside is 2 with minus 18 wind chill.

Attachments

• trailer1.jpg
    trailer1.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 0
  • trailer2.jpg
    trailer2.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 0
  • trailer3.jpg
    trailer3.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 0
  • trailer4.jpg
    trailer4.jpg
    318.7 KB · Views: 0
  • trailer5.jpg
    trailer5.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 0
Safety aside, portable propane heaters generate a lot of humidity which must be dealt with through ventilation (fresh cold air!), so while it's good for temporary/emergency heating, it's not a fantastic option for regular use. And it can be expensive too, especially since propane doesn't burn as well when it's cold or really high altitude.

An old thread here was about running the Buddy on pilot mode to save gas. I'd like to do that, if it is safe. Anyone know if pilot is the same as the other modes? Safety wise?

An old thread here was about running the Buddy on pilot mode to save gas. I'd like to do that, if it is safe. Anyone know if pilot is the same as the other modes? Safety wise?
Yes it is.. Because when the low oxygen sensor is activated, all of the propane stops.... But I will tell you if it's cold it is not going to do much

It got too cold for my milk house heater. It couldn't warm the air enough . So I tried using two space heaters and flipped a breaker . So my daughter brought me her Buddy heater . It works great.

I ended up using just the milk house when I ran to Walmart and the temp dropped 14 degrees . Not bad . Did the same last night, so I could sleep in the house, and temp in trailer was 37 this morning . Least it is keeping the trailer above freezing when I am away .
Carla, I checked my arithmetic, and refilling 4 greenies costs me $2.40. I wish you luck in finding someone to
help you sort your furnace and propane tanks. What is the population of the area you are in?

Carla, I checked my arithmetic, and refilling 4 greenies costs me $2.40. I wish you luck in finding someone to
help you sort your furnace and propane tanks. What is the population of the area you are in?
Those numbers are great. And should help some of those reading.

But if she is up to doing the work to refill the green bottles, it's less work to actually fill the big tanks and learn the furnace.

But if she is up to doing the work to refill the green bottles, it's less work to actually fill the big tanks and learn the furnace.
Totally agree. Hope she gets sorted out. At least there is a house as a backup.

I think about 130,000. There is a RV repair shop here. I just need to get my weight distribution hitch installed so I can take the trailer there . (Been watching grandkids with school out due to the cold )

Glad you're able to get some grandkids time in.

Maybe when you're going to be away from the trailer just plan on a preheat strategy. The vehicle or house is still warm. Turn on the buddy to high and give it 10 minutes to warm things up.

In the meantime just relax in the house or vehicle for a few minutes.

What a difference a day makes. Today it is 23 degrees and with only my electric milkhouse heater the trailer is 59 degrees inside.

Cold blast will return Friday, Sat. And Sun, but then a week in the 40's.

Carla, I blew up the photo of your gauge so it could be read better. I looked thru Google but didn't find anything like this particular gauge.

Maybe some others here will know what the information displayed is indicating.

I've never seen a gauge like this one, and am not sure if it is a "Therm Pro" or a Thermopro".

Carla Gauge.jpg

Carla, I blew up the photo of your gauge so it could be read better. I looked thru Google but didn't find anything like this particular gauge.

Maybe some others here will know what the information displayed is indicating.

I've never seen a gauge like this one, and am not sure if it is a "Therm Pro" or a Thermopro".
It's Thermopro

https://a.co/d/g5xmQxY

I think about 130,000. There is a RV repair shop here. I just need to get my weight distribution hitch installed so I can take the trailer there . (Been watching grandkids with school out due to the cold )
That news about a repair shop is encouraging. I forget your RV history......have you ever pulled the trailer? Do you have a
proper truck now? If those are YES, then there is lots of room in southern AZ in the winter. I'm sure there are other
factors and cost of travel. But it is FREE and WARM here. Best of luck in the repairs/checkout.

I was right the first time.....$5 to fill 4 greenies.