Heating Safety in terms of CO Poisoning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axel

Reaction score
[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]There are a lot of choices when choosing a method to heat your van. This article from the Consumer Product Safety Commission is informative. It appears that wood and coal heating results in the fewest annual deaths from carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, and that propane/natural gas results in the most. Of course far more people depend on gas heating than wood or coal, but it does tell a story, and I think the story is that people using wood/coal/solid fuel heat have to give more of their attention to the heater or stove, and that solid fuel heaters are much simpler devices with less to go wrong. Propane devices on the other hand, are mostly set and forget with much more to go wrong, and if something goes wrong it might be harder to detect. Whatever you use, you should maintain a CO detector in your van.[/font]

[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]https://www.cpsc.gov/s3fs-public/pdfs/CO03.pdf[/font][/SIZE]

If you read the information on the CO detectors in the stores that are sold for home use you will find out that a van is much too small of a space square footage wise for them to properly function in.

You have to source the CO detector from an RV or marine store to get one designed to work in a small confined area.

With CO detectors it is not a one size fits all product. But very few people in the van dwelling community realize that.  I certainly did not know about that until I carefully read the product directions on the CO units being sold at places like Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc. Basically it is not enogh to say you need one, you also have to let people know what type of CO dector is going to work for van dwelling. No point in their buying something thinking it will protect them when it is the wrong CO detector for the size of space.

According to the linked article, "These dangers can be avoided with smoke and CO detectors" but keep in mind that the detectors do nothing to avoid the fire or the carbon monoxide.  The detectors warn you after you already failed.

Good point. Heaters have to be properly installed, operated, and maintained.

The issue with a household CO detector in an RV is that the household detectors need to be plaved a certain distance awaybfrom the appliace such as a prpNe heater. That stayed distance is always goingbto be further away than it would be possible to achieve in a van.  That is why ypu need to source a CO detector from RV or marine sdupply companies. They will be designed to be used at an acceptable distance.

Always read the product information sheets completely through befoe you make a purchase. That information is asvailable online from the company that makes the product. Do not just rely on internet articles that discuss the subject. Do you homework, it is your safety that matters. The author of the article might have outdated or innacurate information. You need to verify that what you purchase is suitable for your individual situation.

I have slept all night long in my Dodge high top van with all windows up, vents closed, and the Wave 3 on high with no adverse effects.

It is not recommended, and I simply forgot to ventilate before going to bed, but that says something about the safety of the wave 3 heaters.

I now use a vented Propex heater that is thermostatically controlled and I won't consider any other options in the future, especially burning wood.

I suppose it's a good idea to use a CO detector. I have one because everyone said I should but I never got around to mounting it. Seems no 2 people could agree on where it should be mounted. The more I dug into how they work the less concerned I'd ever get one to go off inside my truck.
No, I don't want to be one of the 400 or so folks that die from CO blood poisoning every year in the USA, but since I cannot sleep through the night without a window open its a non-issue for me. That and I never run my wave heater when I sleep, I curl up in a 0* sleeping bag.

just my 2¢

My vintage travel trailer is not air tight.  That is not a bad thing as long as it is just a little bit of fresh air coming in versus rain water coming in.

One advantage to a wood stove in a van or trailer seems to be that if you forget them, they go out.

But it would be nice to find one for a rolling home that has an air intake that comes up through the floor.

BelgianPup said:
One advantage to a wood stove in a van or trailer seems to be that if you forget them, they go out.

But it would be nice to find one for a rolling home that has an air intake that comes up through the floor.
Installed a floor register in mine just behind the heater.

image2 2.jpeg

Attachments

• image2 2.jpeg
    image2 2.jpeg
    972.7 KB · Views: 4
A solid fuel stove/heater must have a chimney. The gasses are most likely vented to the outdoors. Often people use un-vented propane heaters. The fumes are kept in the van. I would be interested in a comparison of deaths with solid fuel burners, coal. wood, or cow-chips. Then vented propane furnace such as Suburban. Then liquid fuel such as gasoline or diesel. Then un-vented such as Mr Heater. One could examine the deaths due to running the engine for the heater or air conditioner.

Weight said:
A solid fuel stove/heater must have a chimney. The gasses are most likely vented to the outdoors. 
Yes, obviously.

I've never seen a solid fuel heater not vented to the outdoors - it would become unbearable even before CO poisoning were to take hold because of the particulates in the smoke. Even a campfire in the middle of a teepee is vented.

Solid fuel heaters need an intake and an exhaust. Many people neglect the intake part, resulting in back drafts especially if the space being heated is tightly sealed. If not tightly sealed it results in cold drafts wherever the air comes in. Better to provide a cold air intake close to the heater.

As I am getting ready to hookup my diesel heater this week it was time for me to get an RV approved CO detector. I did find one on Amazon prime. It will get delivered tomorrow to the Rite Aid store that is in the town close to where I am camping.

This is the make and model number in case you have been looking for one that is approved for use in our situations of a very small living space. First Alert CO250 BRK RVA RV Approved CO Alarm

It is battery operated, not hardwired. I did not want a hard wired unit.

Axle - I have seen a solid fuel stove heater that was not vented. The problem is the people who owned it are not alive any longer. Many years ago we had someone who was homeless and camping in Harrisburg PA using charcoal in a little hibachi grill in the back of a pick up truck. As an EMT I helped the corner take the bodies to the morgue. Do you think they learned A lesson?

The people who owned the hibachi and died certainly did not learn a lesson because I dont think it is possible to learn anything once you are brain dead.

Maki2 - Obviously- Exactly my point. I guess I was trying to be facetious. But it would be great if somebody learned from their very tragic mistake. That’s one reason for posting it here.

Van dwellers ignore warnings even though they know they are not supposed to use things like coleman propane camp stovrs inside. You can try to get that stopped but you wont win that battle. Of course the owner of this foeum is one of the van dwellers who publicly shows using such a stove inside his van. Beat the drum louder directly in the eAr of the leader of this band......but dont expect him to listen because he is going to keep right on doing what he has been doing for msny years without a negative consequence of CO poisoning. Not saying he is right to do so, just saying some things will usuuslly be ignored for  the sake of convenience.

Latest posts