My Transit Connect build so far

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vannautical engineer

Reaction score
It's cold, and I'm trying to avoid doing a lot more work on the van until the weather breaks in a week or two. So here is where I'm at with my van build for anyone interested. I have around 300hrs of work into it at this point.

I wanted to build a van that's small and gets good mileage since I plan to travel a lot in it, not stay in one place very much. I also wanted something small enough to be able to drive into a city and park with no problems.

But at the same time, I wanted it to be a real build and to not skimp on many amenities compared to a full size Transit/Sprinter. (Except for a toilet, there's just no room, and I have really little desire to mess around with emptying a toilet.)

Had to pull the fuel tank in order to tap into it for a gasoline Webasto heater. (Just noticed I still had the welder sitting around when I was doing this. Don't worry, I was not doing any welding around the open fuel tank.  ;) )

1R0_0877.jpg

I drilled into the top of the fuel sending unit to add a standpipe to pull fuel out of the tank. Note that if you do this, you need to buy a special stand pipe. The one that comes with most of the Webasto kits is only meant to be installed into a metal tank, like on a semi truck. I can dig up the link on ebay for anyone who needs it. I wanted to drill through the sending unit instead of the tank itself so if anything goes wrong with the hole, I don't need to replace the entire tank. Drilling holes in a plastic fuel tank just gives me the creeps.

1R0_0882.jpg

Had to bend the standpipe around the fuel pump to allow it to get right to the bottom of the tank. This is before I trimmed the standpipe to the right length. Also note that you need to measure the distance that the fuel sender compresses down into the tank when it's installed and trim the standpipe that much shorter to compensate. Most people recommend trimming the standpipe a little short of reaching the bottom of the tank so the heater doesn't run the tank dry. I decided to get it as close as I could to the bottom of the tank so I had the option to use all the fuel in the tank to stay warm if I ever needed to in an emergency. If I run out of gas from using the heater, that's on me.  :rolleyes: Also important to keep it away from the fuel level sender float so it doesn't get in the way of that moving up and down.

1R0_0880.jpg

Webasto installed. I thought a lot about the best placement for it because space is at a huge premium in such a small van. I settled on the area right behind the driver's seat. The floor steps down right here and it's just about the perfect size spot to put the heater. Note that to do this on a Transit Connect cargo model, you need to remove what they call the "van floor extension" which is a big sheetmetal brace that extends the cargo floor forward about 6 inches at the front. It doesn't seem like this brace is present on the passenger wagon models, so I'm pretty sure it doesn't play a factor in structural rigidity or crash safety. It seems like it's just there to give the cargo model a little more floor space. Ultimately I decided it was worth it to remove it.

1R0_0894.jpg

This is the liquid heat exchanger that I'm hoping to use to get hot water from the engine coolant. It's mounted underneath the floor just ahead of the spare tire. I posted about this in another thread where I was asking about the max temperature of a polyethylene water tank. Basically it will have coolant flowing through one side, fresh water through the other, and I have a temp sensor on the coolant inlet side to monitor and regulate the temperature it runs at. In this photo, only the coolant hoses are connected, but it will have pex lines going to it for the fresh water side. Lots more to say about this, but for now I just hope it works the way I'm expecting.

1R0_0935.jpg

The whole van is insulated with Thinsulate. The floor is using AU4002-5 Thinsulate, which I guess is more resistant to being compressed like it is here under the floor, but we'll see. I know it will still be somewhat compressed and less effective, but with a van roof as low as this van has, I did not want to sacrifice headroom by building a thick floor with things like rigid foam insulation. I know there a lot of opinions about insulating under the floor. I did not really do this for heat retention as much as I did to keep the road noise down and reduce condensation forming on the inside of the steel van floor. I had enough spare insulation, so I just pulled the front seats and ran it all the way into the front footwells.

1R0_0961.jpg

Jumping ahead a little bit, here's once I got a lot of the structure inside built. The fresh water tank is under the bed and is held in place by a ratchet strap that goes through the plywood floor. Also have a refrigerated cooler over there on the right. I did not want to deal with the mess or the lingering fumes of using spray adhesive to hold the Thinsulate to the walls and ceiling, so for now it's just held in place by tape around the edges. But eventually I'll have 1/8" plywood on the walls and ceiling that should hold it in place well enough. Overall I'm just not a fan of attaching things permanently to the body of the van with spray adhesive in case it ever needs body work in the future. The whole van is being built with servicability in mind. I want everything to be able to be removed pretty easily if it's necessary. The bed and the cabinet are all bolted to the floor with 1/4"-20 bolts and threaded inserts into the floor. I didn't want to just drive pocket screws into the floor, because then I could only take the bed and cabinets in and out a few times before the threads in the wood would probably strip. I have already had to take the cabinet on the passenger side in and out a few times to get to various things.

1R0_1041.jpg

Didn't want to compromise between having a long enough bed and the ability to recline the driver's seat, so at the front of the bed I have this 2x6 that's on a hinge to extend part of the bed a few inches longer with the driver seat reclined forward. Then it can flip up like this to allow the seat to recline back. Not sure how this will work as far as cushions go, but I'll figure something out. The floor is just vinyl sheet flooring. I know some people like to do plank flooring, but again, I want to conserve every fraction of an inch of headroom I can, so the thin vinyl sheet flooring is good for this.

1R0_1055.jpg

This is about where I'm at now. This overhead storage bin took way more work than it was probably worth. I am not a carpenter, so I struggled with building something like this with all the complex angles. But I like how it looks, and I really wanted it to be angled inwards towards the bottom so it wouldn't intrude so much into my space. I think I'm just going to leave it open like this. The bottom of it is slightly angled down towards the wall, so that and the lip on the edge of it should keep most things from falling out when going around turns.

1R0_1066.jpg

So there you go, hoping to have it to a point where it can at least be used by spring.

Attachments

• 1R0_0880.jpg
    1R0_0880.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 1R0_0877.jpg
    1R0_0877.jpg
    405.6 KB · Views: 70
  • 1R0_1066.jpg
    1R0_1066.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 76
  • 1R0_1055.jpg
    1R0_1055.jpg
    434.5 KB · Views: 71
  • 1R0_0961.jpg
    1R0_0961.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 72
  • 1R0_0935.jpg
    1R0_0935.jpg
    479.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 1R0_0882.jpg
    1R0_0882.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 1R0_1041.jpg
    1R0_1041.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 1R0_0894.jpg
    1R0_0894.jpg
    363.6 KB · Views: 56
So far so good. I like when we get the details and pictures. Hope things progress for you and you can show us the finished product.

Nice project! Many years ago my high MPG (but slow) mode of transport was a VW bus.

They were available with gasoline heaters and I sure wish I had had one in mine.

slow2day said:
Nice project!  Many years ago my high MPG (but slow) mode of transport was a VW bus.

They were available with gasoline heaters and I sure wish I had had one in mine.
Yeah not gonna lie, putting in the Webasto was a huge amount of work between dropping the fuel tank, installing the standpipe, drilling holes in the floor, etc. But I know it's all going to be worth it every time I need heat and all I have to do is turn a knob, and never worry about filling propane tanks. My only fear is that this might actually be overkill in such a small van. But having too much heat is a good problem to have. Worst comes to worst, I will crack open the windows.

For anyone curious, I went the route of ordering the Webasto from a Russian seller on ebay. I was pretty worried about whether or not it would work out, but it was a good experience, and it was about $550 vs the over $1000 a US seller would charge. The kit was pretty complete, except I had to buy my own fuel filter. I'm pretty confident it's not a counterfeit unit or anything like that. There's a lot that goes into making this, and no part of the heater looks off or fake in any way. I think the Chinese companies are doing just fine making their own unbranded knockoffs of these and selling them as such instead of trying to counterfeit the Webastos anyway.

Is this a standard Transit connect? I have one too that I am working on, but no where need the amount of changes you are installing.

Tony\ said:
Is this a standard Transit connect?  I have one too that I am working on, but no where need the amount of changes you are installing.
Yep standard 2011 Transit Connect. Started off as the cargo model (not the passenger wagon.) It's the high roof, but that's all we ever got in the US. I think the low roofs were only older models in Europe, until 2014 when they redesigned it and they're all what I would consider a low roof.  :-/  That's the main reason I didn't want a newer one.

Yeah I'm going pretty extensive with this conversion. But, it's not like there's a whole lot else to do this winter, so hopefully I'll come out of it with a nice van when spring comes. I'm not planning on living in it, but in the back of my mind I thought it would just be a good idea to build it to a level that I could if I ever needed to, because you never know.  :s

But did you light it off yet? Gotta be cold enough for heat there.
-crofter

crofter said:
But did you light it off yet? Gotta be cold enough for heat there.
-crofter
Yeah I had a spare car battery laying around and once I had everything installed, I hardwired the battery to the heater just to test it out. I ran it for about 30mins. Gets nice and toasty. Couldn't be happier. It does take a few minutes after it starts for it to really get going. It's not quite as instant as a direct burning propane heater. But once it gets going, it's hot. :D

I'll probably do the "high altitude adjustment" that seems to be popular with these to help it burn cleaner, plus I think it reduces the output of the heater just a little bit, which probably won't be a bad thing in this size van.

"Drilling holes in a plastic fuel tank just gives me the creeps."

LOL , don't worry gas thieves do it everyday. They love those plastic tanks, makes their job much easier and safer.

Nice documentation.

Highdesertranger

I commend you for buying a higher quality heater, compared to the chinese knockoffs. Still, I will advise you to keep a few spare parts on hand if you venture out some place really cold and really remote. The diesel version of these heaters have been in use in the trucking industry for decades and are fairly complex, microprocessor controlled, and nearly every part is critical for operation. It is a good idea to keep a spare filter or two, ignitor assembly, and maybe a spare dosing pump.

Is a high altitude kit available for the gasoline model? I believe the stock unit is only rated for about 5000 feet elevation.

These heaters work great until the minute they stop working...and that will be at 3AM when it's below freezing in the middle of nowhere.

Of course, having a van with a motor you do have a backup heat source if the unit stops working.

highdesertranger said:
"Drilling holes in a plastic fuel tank just gives me the creeps."

LOL , don't worry gas thieves do it everyday.  They love those plastic tanks,  makes their job much easier and safer.

Nice documentation.

Highdesertranger

Ok well it's not the drilling the holes that I don't like, it's the possibility of those holes weakening the tank to split or otherwise fail later that I'm worried about.  :-/

tx2sturgis said:
I commend you for buying a higher quality heater, compared to the chinese knockoffs. Still, I will advise you to keep a few spare parts on hand if you venture out some place really cold and really remote. The diesel version of these heaters have been in use in the trucking industry for decades and are fairly complex, microprocessor controlled, and nearly every part is critical for operation. It is a good idea to keep a spare filter or two, ignitor assembly, and maybe a spare dosing pump.

Is a high altitude kit available for the gasoline model? I believe the stock unit is only rated for about 5000 feet elevation.

These heaters work great until the minute they stop working...and that will be at 3AM when it's below freezing in the middle of nowhere.

Of course, having a van with a motor you do have a backup heat source if the unit stops working.

The high altitude adjustment isn't even a kit, it's just an adjustment you can make by jumping a certain circuit and turning the control knob a certain way. The instructions are floating around online.

I decided to go for the gasoline heater and all of the extra cost and work it takes to install. If the Chinese heaters are all you can afford, then so be it, but I think carrying around a little tank of diesel just for your heater and keeping it filled is way too much fooling around and a waste of space if you can afford a gasoline one. Can't think of anything easier than replenishing my heater fuel every time I fill the tank.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Seems like there are a couple Chinese gasoline ones popping up on ebay, but they are almost as much as getting a real Webasto sent from Russia, so the choice is easy.[/font]

And yes I know it has a decent amount of microprocessor control inside. But like you said I always have the engine heat to fall back on if anything happens.

Nice build! Thanks for all the photos and details. And things like carpentry and other skills needed for building this stuff, you'll never get better at it if you never do it. And you're doing it! Cheers!

Enjoying your project pictures are the added bonus...looking forward to seeing it to the end. Be safe ...

Started cutting out panels to fit on the walls today. This youtube video was invaluable in figuring out how to cut panels to go around these weird shapes.

These are just 1/8" baltic birch plywood. Extremely thin to save weight. I'm halfway thinking that I might glue magnets to the back of these to hold them onto the walls. I might do a few bolts with plusnuts just to locate the panels on the walls and really keep them from going anywhere, but I'm really liking the idea of using magnets in a lot of places too. Does this seem feasible? Seems a little cheesy maybe, but these panels are really pretty light since they're just 1/8" plywood.

1R0_1082.jpg

Attachments

• 1R0_1082.jpg
    1R0_1082.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 52
That's a slick setup, well done so far!

Are you going to run into trouble with your wall panel when sliding your bed back in? Looks like it might go under the panel...

Those neodymium magnets are crazy strong so it might work for some panels. Would be a way to have a secret stash area for valuables that is easily accessible.

Yeah I'm definitely going to need to trim a little bit off of the bottom of that panel to allow the bed to slide in and out easily. But for now trying to size it up, it's nice to have it just rest on the bed. Also this panel in particular needs to be especially easy to pull off because the emergency roadside jack is stored behind this panel. Initially I was going to cut a little access door in this panel, but now I'm thinking that it's going to be so incredibly rare (hopefully) that I need to get to that jack that I think I'm just going to make it so the whole panel has to come off to get to the jack. It will be way easier to not mess around with cutting an access door, and it will look much cleaner.

Ahh, the jack lives there...you definitely are smart to keep it easy access then. If you use magnets of sufficient strength you might be able to utilize them on both sides to install removable hooks and such on the front side since the material is thin.