Heating Safety in terms of CO Poisoning

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder what they want for batteries. it says carbon zinc, and Alkaline batteries do not meet the requirements but don't say what does.

highdesertranger

I don't know about the specs saying that alkaline batteries can't be used in an RV CO detector. The RVA RV approved detector I just bought uses a 9V alkaline battery. It is being sold by a very reputable company, First Alert.

right Maki that is exactly what I was thinking. they come with alkaline batteries, right?

highdesertranger

nature lover said:
Axle - I have seen a solid fuel stove heater that was not vented. The problem is the people who owned it are not alive any longer. Many years ago we had someone who was homeless and camping in Harrisburg PA using charcoal in a little hibachi grill in the back of a pick up truck. As an EMT I helped the corner take the bodies to the morgue. Do you think they learned A lesson?
Natural selection.

If you read the information on the CO detectors in the stores that are sold for home use you will find out that a van is much too small of a space square footage wise for them to properly function in.

You have to source the CO detector from an RV or marine store to get one designed to work in a small confined area.

With CO detectors it is not a one size fits all product. But very few people in the van dwelling community realize that. I certainly did not know about that until I carefully read the product directions on the CO units being sold at places like Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, etc. Basically it is not enogh to say you need one, you also have to let people know what type of CO dector is going to work for van dwelling. No point in their buying something thinking it will protect them when it is the wrong CO detector for the size of space.
According to my understanding and more reading yesterday, Buddy heaters do not produce ANY carbon monoxide.
They can use up a lot of oxygen, and when used in a relatively small space, they will eventually shut down
because of a "low oxygen" sensor. They cannot kill you. I think a CO sensor is smart, but only applies to a dangerous
appliance like a furnace or maybe a water heater gone faulty. Not sure about his one, so someone back me up.
Always love to learn.

As I am getting ready to hookup my diesel heater this week it was time for me to get an RV approved CO detector. I did find one on Amazon prime. It will get delivered tomorrow to the Rite Aid store that is in the town close to where I am camping.

This is the make and model number in case you have been looking for one that is approved for use in our situations of a very small living space. First Alert CO250 BRK RVA RV Approved CO Alarm

It is battery operated, not hardwired. I did not want a hard wired unit.
thanks for the tip on the First Alert.

I have slept all night long in my Dodge high top van with all windows up, vents closed, and the Wave 3 on high with no adverse effects.

It is not recommended, and I simply forgot to ventilate before going to bed, but that says something about the safety of the wave 3 heaters.

I now use a vented Propex heater that is thermostatically controlled and I won't consider any other options in the future, especially burning wood.
Actually, the WAVE has no flame and cannot generate CO. It create heat by way of exposing pmropane
to a catalyst.

Actually, the WAVE has no flame and cannot generate CO. It create heat by way of exposing propane
to a catalyst.
Sorry....you're assumption is wrong

The WAVE still "burns" at a much lower temp...........using Oxygen and producing CO.............

According to my understanding and more reading yesterday, Buddy heaters do not produce ANY carbon monoxide.
They can use up a lot of oxygen, and when used in a relatively small space, they will eventually shut down
because of a "low oxygen" sensor. They cannot kill you. I think a CO sensor is smart, but only applies to a dangerous
appliance like a furnace or maybe a water heater gone faulty. Not sure about his one, so someone back me up.
Always love to learn.

You are WRONG

When you burn a hydrocarbon like propane, you are oxidizing the hydrogen and the carbon in the fuel, which produces H2O, water, and CO2, carbon dioxide. The air around us contains only 21 percent oxygen, most of the remaining 79 percent is nitrogen which does not contribute to combustion. When the process occurs in an enclosed space, the oxygen level is depleted as the oxygen is combined with the hydrogen and the carbon. If there is too little oxygen in the air, the carbon is incompletely oxidized, which produces carbon monoxide, rather than carbon dioxide. Carbon monoxide is poisonous.

Some heaters, like the catalytic heaters are very efficient and produce very little carbon monoxide, so long as they have a a good supply of oxygen from the surrounding air. As the available oxygen in the enclosed space is reduced, more and more carbon monoxide will be produced.

Leaving a window or other opening ajar may provide enough replacement oxygen to support the combustion process and any living animals in the space. As a lifetime, retired, heating and A/C technician, I would never sleep in an RV with a running propane heater. You might not wake up. Even if it does not outright kill you, long-term exposure to CO can lead to a build up in the blood stream, and can have adverse effects on your health.

I am not saying you shouldn't use your Little Buddy heater. They are great, and they are very efficient. I am saying that you must be aware of the risks involved and use the heater wisely.

I found the following advice of use. Propane heaters are some of the most cost-efficient heaters on the market. However, when it comes to using propane or any fuel-reliant heaters, carbon monoxide poisoning is something you need to keep an eye out for. If faulty or improperly kept in good condition, propane heaters can produce carbon monoxide.

• Before you set up and use your vent-free propane heater, read the user manual thoroughly.
  • Even vent-free propane heaters need adequate ventilation. This can be accomplished by opening a window or turning on your central air conditioning. Make sure the exhaust from a vented heater is correctly vented externally.
  • Ensure your indoor propane heater is placed away from heavy foot traffic, on a flat surface to avoid tipping, and at least 3 feet away from anything that may catch fire due to the heat, such as bedding, curtains, and furniture, among other things.
  • Nothing should ever be placed on top of a propane heater.
  • Install smoke and carbon monoxide detectors in the rooms where your heater will be used as a backup sensor to the ODS may include.
  • If you purchase a portable heater, make sure it is never left unsupervised when you leave the room; even if it’s just for a minute or two, turn it off.
  • Please turn off your heater before bed and do not leave it running all night.
  • Avoid using the heater for the whole day to avoid malfunctions.
  • If the flame on your indoor propane heater is yellow or orange rather than blue, switch it off immediately and call a propane technician.
  • Never use an indoor heater to dry wet carpet or furniture.
  • Indoor space heaters should be kept out of reach of toddlers and pets.
  • Keep your indoor propane heaters in good working order by following the manufacturer’s directions.
  • Before you do something with your heater, make sure it’s switched off and cool to the touch.
  • Use your vacuum cleaner’s hose attachment to clean and dust the propane heater’s exterior and the grills to avoid build-up.
  • Never use air fresheners, deodorants, aerosol sprays, and hair spray near a propane heater because they are flammable.
  • A propane technician should inspect your vented and vent-free indoor propane space heaters once a year.
  • When using your indoor propane heater for a fast exit, ensure all routes and departures are clear if there is a fire.
  • Before using your indoor propane heater, ensure you understand proper propane safety.
Of course, this is just safety info and does not address the water condensation issues. Something else that requires sufficient ventilation or air exchange.

Latest posts