I Want Buddy Heater Safety Tips

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My recommendation to you is to deal with the process of learning to use the TT's furnace for quality of heat and rapid re-heating after leaving it off a while.
Thanks. Everyone is right. I have to get going on learning this stuff... and doing it. My plan was to take it to the RV repair shop for "lessons" but I need to tow it there. Got the receiver hitch put on. Just gotta give up my truck for another day or so to get the WDH installed.

Before taking it to the RV repair shop I'm going to call the guy who sold me the trailer. See if I can pay him for lessons.

Good idea. Get someone to visit you who can get it working for you. If it doesn't light up a part may need to be replaced. It happens, but should be a minor repair if needed.

Please delete this post. Info was already provided in previous posts. I should read these threads fully before responding...

Several Years ago High Desert Ranger was talking with another member here who was having problems with the wind blowing out the pilot light either in his hot water tank or furnace. They came up with a bent piece of sheet metal that would be screwed or pop riveted over the louvers formed into the door. This seemed to cure the problem of the occasional high wind blast that would blow out pilot lights.

Recently the weather forecast has been full of high wind warnings all across the USA.

This is a sketch of what they came up with. Just imagine the metal shield moved to line up with the vertical red
line to cover the louvers. Air/oxygen could still get to the pilot light so it could operate undisturbed and the owner not have to get up in the middle of the night to keep relighting the pilot light to have heat.

Some of these later doors may have this feature already installed on the inside of the door, so you'll have to look and see.

Otherwise have the Mr Buddy for backup.

watertank door.jpg

The green bottles costs a lot these days.
The refill green bottles or adapters require cash and effort.

Take that money and effort and put it to what you'll be using long term and works better. And making repairs to that system as needed.

It's your best short, and long term investment.

Will the pilot stay lit after letting it warm up? If not I bet it's a therocouple. Put in a new furnace once & an employee stopped by & was fiddling with things & we couldn't get it to light. House was cold, it was Sunday, my wife was coming home with the baby so I called a furnace place who charged me $80 to click the filter door shut another 1/16". That was a lot of $$ 30 years ago. I bet it's something simple.

Good idea. Get someone to visit you who can get it working for you. If it doesn't light up a part may need to be replaced. It happens, but should be a minor repair if needed.
I've never tried the furnace. I recently bought the trailer and am too chicken to mess with the propane and furnace, but I will soon.

Will the pilot stay lit after letting it warm up? If not I bet it's a therocouple. Put in a new furnace once & an employee stopped by & was fiddling with things & we couldn't get it to light. House was cold, it was Sunday, my wife was coming home with the baby so I called a furnace place who charged me $80 to click the filter door shut another 1/16". That was a lot of $$ 30 years ago. I bet it's something simple.
Thanks gr8ful. I assume the furnace works fine. I've never tried it. I need to learn how to swap out propane bottles and light the furnace. Shame on me. I know:D

Camper, if Carla's trailer has two propane tanks on the front of it....will they automatically change over when one becomes empty ? I'm not too sure of how propane tanks on trailers are commonly set up. If auto change over regulators are common equipment or not.

Honestly, it's not an area I have much experience with. I'll leave those answers to the many here that would be better equipped to do so.

The trailer I have does change over... when a propane tank empties the other one is used automatically. So, this is not common with all? Does it depend on the age of the trailer?

The trailer I have does change over... when a propane tank empties the other one is used automatically. So, this is not common with all? Does it depend on the age of the trailer?
That is one type of fitting that can be purchased for use with two tank setups. I would not say it is actually standard as it is an upgrade selection over the manual switch style but it is likely the most popular one. But I am no expert on propane systems in RVs.

My motorhome propane tank was in a compartment so only one tank in it.
My current trailer was purchased in derelict condition and there were only remnants of the old propane line and I chose other fuel types for appliances in the renovation.

Last edited:
I have a 2002 Tahoe Lite 22' travel trailer with two 30# cylinders on a Siamese connection. The switching is manual, close the valve on the empty, open the valve on the (hopefully) full one, then there is also a lever to switch flow from the current cylinder.

The Tahoe is parked full time in my home base, it is only lived in when I am stuck in Amargosa Valley in the triple digit summer heat, it has AirCon, where my mobile Class C has no heat nor AirCon.

It would appear Carla's RV has a couple of tanks ? But until the cover is removed to find out it's just guessing.

39779-6744edbabab3d4aca5cb316e0970e3f4.data

It's just a matter of removing the cover and looking to see. But again, getting the furnace pilot lit and operating the furnace (shore power may be necessary for the furnace fan) for now would be the first objective. Examining the tanks to see if there is propane in them should be done also. And then looking to see if they have a change over valve. Not sure if there are batteries onboard or if they are charged up, so the furnace could operate on 12 vdc or what. But I'd say Carla needs someone with experience in this stuff to mentor her and show her what she needs to be doing. I'm not sure if the trailer is winterized or not so contacting the previous owner should be done with a list of questions asap.

Corrected the math

Nice price point.....in Quartzsite grocery stores they're $11 EACH......even at Walmart "Greenies" are over $6

We use a tank and hose/filter to feed the Buddy
Refilling "greenies" has never been easier. One of you showed a link that I followed to see a refill adapter that
is superior. Just Google "MEFUN REFILL ADAPTER". Even with propane costing $5/gallon, and the greenies
going for over $6, refilling them for 60 cents is a good way to keep more of your money. For a lot of folks, just
attaching a hose to a 5 gal tank is easy, whether the tank is in your home, or outside.

Also important if you do refill, is to get some screw on brass caps for the greenies. Available at Amazon. I like
the greenies bc it is so simple to move heater anywhere....like a freezing cold bathroom, or shower tent.

It would appear Carla's RV has a couple of tanks ? But until the cover is removed to find out it's just guessing.

39779-6744edbabab3d4aca5cb316e0970e3f4.data

It's just a matter of removing the cover and looking to see. But again, getting the furnace pilot lit and operating the furnace (shore power may be necessary for the furnace fan) for now would be the first objective. Examining the tanks to see if there is propane in them should be done also. And then looking to see if they have a change over valve. Not sure if there are batteries onboard or if they are charged up, so the furnace could operate on 12 vdc or what. But I'd say Carla needs someone with experience in this stuff to mentor her and show her what she needs to be doing. I'm not sure if the trailer is winterized or not so contacting the previous owner should be done with a list of questions asap.
I'll take a pic. Grandkids unplugged my shore power last night and I woke up to 13 degrees inside the
trailer.

Schools are cancelled due to the cold so I'm babysitting my grandkids. Hard to get anything done. I'm crabby today. Sorry.

Does the cold make joint pain worse? I have trauma induced arthritis all over my body from a car wreck years ago. My bones always hurt but it seems worse in this cold. Could barely get off the couch today from knee pain.