Backup\rearvirw camera

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TruckCamper99

Reaction score
What do you guys recommend? The one on my Truck Camper isn’t working. It was old and wires in. If you turned on your parking lights it would turn the screen on. The camera was on the ladder on the back of the camper and the screen velcroed to the rear view mirror 

If I could I’d like something wireless and something that can be on all the time as I would use it for rearview.

Thanks

I owned a Rohent R7 HD 1080P RV Wireless Backup Camera, about $140.
I sold it for $50 after 4 months because I didn't like the signal dropping out. This was a 7" screen, not a rear view mirror. The small rearview mirror style cameras don't have a clear/large enough image for me.
Negatives I experienced, the weather (rain and snow) interferes with the signal between the camera and the screen. Signal drops out for a half second to 5 seconds. Using it on a 20' vehicle.

The image quality isn't as clear on wireless systems because a wired system transfers more data and produces a sharper image. The wireless video gets choppy, freezes, and cuts out all together when near large tower antennas (possibly cell or microwave towers), or some other remote unknown interference almost anywhere. Always worked great when in the middle of nowhere on sunny days, so there's that.

I know of a couple folks that love their wireless systems but they are on new motor homes and are in the $350 and up price range, beyond my wallet.

I now use a Transcend dash camera recorder and a commercial wired backup camera w/7" screen and both have work flawlessly over 4 years now.

I'm positive someone uses a wireless mirror system and loves it. Maybe they will post their positive and negative results here. I'd be willing to try again and use it for a side view camera with the mirror in the dash if the price was right.

I use a homebrewed wireless backup camera system using old iPhones, but it isn't adhoc. I have a router that is dedicated to the system. I looked at commercial wireless setups, the reviews are not all that great.

Purchased one of these on Ebay 1 year ago and love it! Works well on my 26 ft bus and makes backing into tight spots a breeze. Also, I have mine wired so it is always on when the ignition is on, that way I can see everything behind me when I am moving down the road. Nice to know when there is a vehicle riding right on your bumper!

7" Monitor Rear View Backup Camera Kit Wireless IR Night Vision for RV Truck Van
Copy and past into the ebay search box and it will come up. Well worth the $78

I went with this one off Amazon. The mointer can be plugged into your cigarette lighter or hard wired into your fuse box. The camera is powered off the back up lights. It sends a wireless signal to the mointer. There is a 5 second delay when I place my van in reverse, but other than that it works fine for me.

AMTIFO A6 HD 1080P Digital Wireless Backup Camera Kit with Stable Signal,5 Inch Split/Full Screen Rear View System for Trucks,Cars,Campers,Vans

I have a wired backup camera. It's wired to the rear view mirror it came with. The camera is mounted on a bracket which is over the license plate. It was on the van when I bought it. The bracket partially obscures the word 'Florida' at the top of the tag.

Right now I'm watching a YouTube video of New Jersey cops who pulled a car over for having tinted front windows (Nevada tag) and a bracket that partially covers the license plate.

It's a perfectly harmless looking cookie cutter Toyota. The driver couldn't produce the registration so they impounded the car, but that's not the point. The tinted windows and license plate bracket gave them probable cause to stop the car.

Lesson learned

And it's my experience that a vehicle with a tint violation can't be removed from impound until the window tint is removed making it legal to drive.
Impound fees include towing $45 - $100 and a daily rate of $25 to $100 per day and that's cash.
The lesson here is avoid states with really stupid laws.
BTW, driving with a backup camera on can get you a ticket as well. The officer said it was a driver distraction (similar to texting), so I said I just now turned it on to view his cruiser behind me. :) I got a written warning, I smiled and thanked him and immediately drove out or the state, never to return.

I have a Pormido that I recently installed and am very happy with it.