Where to go to install windows?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pgb205

Reaction score
Generally I like how my no-build build Promaster has turned out. But I've purchased with no side or rear windows and it can get a little gloomy inside. I've since regretted buying it with no windows so now want at least the rear windows installed(like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BKSQ5BL/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=APR20SULT4YJ8&psc=1) and possible even a side window that open up(https://i.pinimg.com/originals/1f/91/9b/1f919bd94d63bdfb6bbc82fa3b809306.jpg)

I know that it's supposed to be easy, but I'd rather get it done professionally just this one time. What are the good places to go to to get this done? Would safelite handle something like that, local auto-glass repair shop? For two rear windows and one side window what would you expect the whole thing to cost?

thanks

Glass repair shops don't normally get involved in body work, but its possible.

You might have better luck going to an auto body shop, where they do body repair. Failing that, there might be an RV dealership near you that will be willing to do the job.

And it is not terribly hard to do, but if you try to do it without a helper and the right tools, the difficulty of the job goes off the scale.

Good luck!

Glass repair shops don't normally get involved in body work, but its possible.

You might have better luck going to an auto body shop, where they do body repair. Failing that, there might be an RV dealership near you that will be willing to do the job.

And it is not terribly hard to do, but if you try to do it without a helper and the right tools, the difficulty of the job goes off the scale.

Good luck!

basically this ^^ is my predicament. I really don't have any one to help me where I am, nor do I have the tools/materials needed to get this done properly. If I have to buy all the equipment for one time job I won't even be saving that much money on self-installation. For me it makes more sense to pay someone.

A company that install sunroofs in cars can install the windows. It is pretty much the same set of steps but easier as they do not have to deal with the headliner or work up on on the roof.

Of course there are also companies that do custom Van interior builds who can do that job.

Plus a basic handyman who does a bit of construction should be able to do that job as well. Even as a senior woman in my 70s I have the skill set of being able to use a pattern taped to the side of a van and accurately cut a hole with a jigsaw, smooth the edges off and install a gasketed window into the opening. If I can do it so can a reputable handyman service.

As to buying tools a jigsaw is a not a huge investment for tool cost. Nor is a metal file or the small set of wedges that make inserting the rubber gasket go easier. Besides you can even rent a jigsaws but it is a good tool for a nomad to own and travel with as you can do an entire cabinet build for your van with one. It was the first power tool I purchased as young adult in my very early 20s who had no experience at all in wood working or metal work and no one to mentor me. There was not even YouTube around to teach me how to do such work. I am not saying you should do the install on your own but I am saying you could do it if you decided that was the only choice available and that a jigsaw is a worthwhile tool for any nomad who is doing a build to invest in. I travel with one in my set of tools.

Last edited:
You near one of these?:
https://boydgroup.com/our-businesses/gerber-collision-and-glass
Gerber does both body & glass might wana try them but really it’s not hard to do and there’s a million videos about by peeps who have done it and never had done it b4.

Study a bunch of them and you’ll learn things from all of them. I just put the ones in my Promaster. Adhesive bond type with awning open. Took me idk 2 to 4 hours while having coffee
You need a drill & a good jigsaw. File to remove the burr & use a rubber mallet to put the trim on. Some peeps use a claw hammer in their vids but really a rubber mallet is best. I did mine by myself; no help. You’ll want some suction cups: Lowe’s Harbor freight or similar have them.

If you go adhesive bond most important thing is to use a V-cut on the glue tube not a circular cut and get a calk gun designed for vehicle window adhesive bond.

Seriously; there are videos of teenage college girls doing to this on their vans. it’s not hard.

INTJohn

I seem to remember someone here (maybe a year+ ago) advising to have Windows installed by a dealer, but I can't remember the reason why.

I seem to remember someone here (maybe a year+ ago) advising to have Windows installed by a dealer, but I can't remember the reason why.
Probably because you get a warranty for leaks and such.

...cost?

thanks
a)
The cost?
Only to your sanity.
And some sense of safety.
Glass provides pretty close to zero insulation... neither thermal nor acoustic.
b)
2003, we built our ExpeditionVehicle.
We mounted our 3010 (three feet wide by a foot tall) dual-pane sliders designed for a stand-still house at our eye-level standing inside, about eight feet above pavement.
We mounted these using Vulcum 126 dealer.
Two decades full-time live-aboard, our Vulcum 226 remains soft and pliable.
c)
We are inside the rig to sleep... this requires a lot of dark.
For living, we are outside in our million-acre living-room:
* we cook and potlatch outside
* we shower outside
* we build community outside.

any recommendations for west Texas, NM, AZ shops that can do this type of work?

any recommendations for west Texas, NM, AZ shops that can do this type of work?
Pick a city and use that cities name and state plus sunroof installation as keywords in a search engine. Then call the companies phone number and talk to them about your project.

You need to understand that a lot of people in this forum use the DIY, do it yourself approach, when it comes to doing most of their own van build task. It is unlikely you will connect with anyone who has had van windows put in in by a professional company the geographic area you are interested in. However your van sidewall or rear window installation project uses the exact same tools and skill sets as putting in a sunroof into a vehicle. That means the Sunroof installation companies are the most likely service company who will be willing to take on your project.

Windshield replacement companies do not cut any openings. They just order in glass that is already sized for a specific vehicle. But a a sunroof installer does use a metal cutting saw to cut into a vehicle to create an opening and then installs a brand new window in it.

I am giving you excellent advice on where to go to get your project done and how to find a place to get it done. But it is up to you to get busy and use the keywords in a search followed by using the phone to have a conversation with the company. I am not going to do it for you. So be self sufficient and take some initiative.

Last edited:
thank you very much for the offer. But I'd rather not take advantage like that :)

What are everyone's opinions on the following:
1. Install two OEM rear windows. Basically same as what would come from factory. This would provide light to the back of the van
2. One sliding window on the driver side in the back of the van. This is where my kitchen is, so will provide ventilation.

I was also thinking, later on, to install a widow on the sliding door, as I'm having trouble seeing oncoming traffic on some intersections.

If you are near flag staff I have the tools and knowledge to do this and I charge a pretty reasonable 0 dollars per hour.
Sometimes we offer to do something because we can and want to. And for a lot of people, it's something fun to do while socializing.

You can't really take advantage of someone that is offering something freely. Plus, it's always good to network.
thank you very much for the offer. But I'd rather not take advantage like that :)

Just put in what you want to have in the way of windows. It is your van and your choice of the layout. Only you know what you like or do not like. So go with your own personal feelings about it.

HOWA is no longer in the "build" business.....They will only supply goodies.......Liability insurance for the 501C is impossible to purchase while allowing volunteer labor.........No Labor-referrals even............

SCOTTROD is a pretty good craftsman..........He'll probably accept a small gratuity for the doing the work......

Just don't let him choose the Color PAINT !

I wonder how many years it will take before people realize HOWA is no longer doing Van builds or even giving away vehicles?

They also did not even manage to cover their expenses at the January 2023 RTR.
Hopefully there will be enough donations this coming January to at least break even on those cost.

When I did my first van build, I was very concerned about cutting holes in my van and installing the windows. There are many Youtube videos out there that showed me how to do it, but like you I was concerned about doing it myself. I asked around my area and most body shops were verly reluctant to install them due to liablity issues. Other places were reluctant to install them because they had never done anything like that before. I was unable to find a company near me that did van conversions. so I was pretty much out of luck.

After my searches yielded nothing, I drew a deep breath and decided to do it myself. I installed a small ceiling van and one side window. It went very well and nothing leaked when I was done. 😁

I sold that van and purchased a high top and had no reservations about adding windows and a vent. I installed a ceiling vent and two side windows (30x24) in about 5 hours. I did have my wife help me hold the windows in place while I secured them, but I did everything else.

The two most important things to remember......triple check before you cut and use good quality sealing materials.