How to install Victron dc to dc charger when have an isolator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzcamp

Reaction score
If anyone could help me with some guidance it would be much appreciated.

I would like to install a Victron dc to dc charger 12/12 9 amp
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07L6H8VKL/ref=ox_sc_saved_image_2?smid=A2VHGGOHXF24LJ&psc=1

The majority of my electric usage is my Engel 45 qt freezer/fridge.  

What I have: 

2006 E150 van...I don’t know the output of the alternator unfortunately 

House battery:  88ah deep cycle marine interstate (from Costco) flooded

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Portable 80 watt solar panel (charge controller attached) [/font][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]which works great but Kind of heavy so if can avoid setting up for just a couple days camp.  I plan to just move from place to place after couple days.  [/font]

electrical set up in my van pics

8E41B92A-28F2-4581-9E23-DF062EB1CA94.jpeg
426E73E0-3FE0-4907-93CC-C82228F1011D.jpeg

I would just like to know if I need to reconfigure wires attached to isolator to install the dc to dc charger

Thank you.

Attachments

• 8E41B92A-28F2-4581-9E23-DF062EB1CA94.jpeg
    8E41B92A-28F2-4581-9E23-DF062EB1CA94.jpeg
    908.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 426E73E0-3FE0-4907-93CC-C82228F1011D.jpeg
    426E73E0-3FE0-4907-93CC-C82228F1011D.jpeg
    732 KB · Views: 9
It appears to me that you have a 12 volt switch that connects a positive starter battery to the positive post of the house battery and possibly the negative post of the house battery is grounded to the chassis by a white wire? If that is the case then inserting the key while driving completes the circuit with the vehicle battery allowing both batteries to charge while driving? There is also a circuit breaker in a heavy wire, where does that wire run to and from? Is this correct and what your pictures show?

You need to realize the solar charging is the main source of power for charging your battery especially if you sit for days at a time. There are several good reasons for using a DC to DC charger but it does not create power and the way you are wanting to set it up would do away with the solar power, so basically you are loosing a substantial amount of power with which to charge your battery. I would recommend finding a way to move or mount your solar so it can continue to be used, especially if it has proven itself to work for you as well as use the DC to DC charger for vehicle charging as it may help prolong the life of your components and not require you remember to turn on and off the keyed switch. You can not have enough solar in my opinion.

Simple answer is yes you will need to especially if you want to automatically start charging the house battery only when the vehicle is running, but until you verify where the wires are connected in the pictures we can not be sure of how much you will have to change. Hope this helps!

Sorry I don’t know how to respond to post properly...hopefully I answer your questions..updated pics

- the white wire ends up attached to the (-) on the House battery

- the circuit breaker wire is attached to the starter battery (+)

- the electrical was put in by previous owner and I understand that when key is in and turned on the house battery is charged.  It’s not a hassle and I seem to always remember to use properly.

9B4E53A5-3007-4A09-8996-9E2F1D3D773D.jpeg
A931F729-1BD2-42D9-B1AC-01A8AC41A034.jpeg

the solar panel works great and I think I was just looking for an easier way :) like I said it’s kind of heavy and shouldn’t be left out eg rain so I would have to purchase new panels to attach to vehicle.  

I appreciate you’re guidance.  Thanks again

Attachments

• 9B4E53A5-3007-4A09-8996-9E2F1D3D773D.jpeg
    9B4E53A5-3007-4A09-8996-9E2F1D3D773D.jpeg
    747 KB · Views: 11
  • A931F729-1BD2-42D9-B1AC-01A8AC41A034.jpeg
    A931F729-1BD2-42D9-B1AC-01A8AC41A034.jpeg
    918.4 KB · Views: 8
I would contact Victron for help determining wire and fuse size as well as set up procedures. Victron has a wiring diagram on their site I believe but they simply show a wire going from the positive charging terminal of the alternator to the positive input terminal on the charger and a wire going from the negative ground terminal on the alternator to the negative input terminal on the charger. Your house battery positive terminal will be connected to the positive output of the charger and then the house battery negative terminal will be connected to the negative output of the charger. As long as you don't insert and turn on the key to the present isolation switch it should be fine. There are several things you should consider that have been covered in previous posts here like the use of bus bars, terminals and wire clamp terminal connections. I would highly recommend you research or seek someone local to help with the hands on install. Again I would search out options to make the solar panel work or do a mounted panel as you most likely will need more power than your vehicle can provide in my opinion.

Sounds good.  Am glad I joined forum and will do some research.  Have a great day!

There are some good videos on YouTube showing some similar Victron models being installed.

Don't take this the wrong way, I am only trying to help, but your wiring needs to be cleaned up. You have way to many wires connected to the battery. You should have 2 wires on the battery, a positive and a negative and they should go to a buss bar. A buss bar is where all the other wires connect. Also you should try to keep the wires at any one terminal to a minimum, 2 wires max is best. But this is not a hard fast rule.

Highdesertranger

bullfrog said:
I would contact Victron for help determining wire and fuse size as well as set up procedures. Victron has a wiring diagram on their site I believe but they simply show a wire going from the positive charging terminal of the alternator to the positive input terminal on the charger and a wire going from the negative ground terminal on the alternator to the negative input terminal on the charger. Your house battery positive terminal will be connected to the positive output of the charger and then the house battery negative terminal will be connected to the negative output of the charger. As long as you don't insert and turn on the key to the present isolation switch it should be fine. There are several things you should consider that have been covered in previous posts here like the use of bus bars, terminals and wire clamp terminal connections. I would highly recommend you research or seek someone local to help with the hands on install. Again I would search out options to make the solar panel work or do a mounted panel as you most likely will need more power than your vehicle can provide in my opinion.
Just FYI...

i forgot about fuse box...there is one.  I just don’t know exactly how to tap into it cuz wires behind wall. 
 D8939D34-A021-40EE-8FEA-C284B14740D0.jpeg

I added a couple of cig plugs that I attached directly to house batt and those have fuses on them from mfr. 

Thanks for helping me think bout what I have :)

Attachments

• D8939D34-A021-40EE-8FEA-C284B14740D0.jpeg
    D8939D34-A021-40EE-8FEA-C284B14740D0.jpeg
    97.4 KB · Views: 10
Well there are positions 5 and 6 on the fuse block that are open. If you install a fuse in them you should have power to the spade terminals next to them. I would check to see if the gaggle of white wires with the red insulated terminals all bolted together are ground wires. You should get a cheap multimeter and watch a few videos if you haven't used one before to check for 12 volts DC between the large red wire on the post of the fuse box and the bolted together white wires which should be as individual wires on a bus bar. Then you could remove the ciggy plugs from the battery and attach the positive wire of the ciggy plug to the fuse block and the negative wire of the ciggy to the bus bar. I really don't like ciggy plugs because by design they are made to self disconnect or melt when they get hot. There are several better designed plugs available like the ones made by Anderson or for electric bicycles and solar panels that I would replace them with. If you do use them marine style made by the Blue Sea company are some that are a well built high quality and for that matter fuse boxes with built in negative bus bars are available as well. Wiring a vehicle is sort of an art form and can get expensive and time consuming so go slow do the research and learn what you need to to put together a safe efficient system. You can do it! Lol!!!

Thanks for the vote of confidence :) I just got multimeter That I ordered today.  I did get good cig plugs.  I Usually research and don’t go cheap route.   my electrical usage is very low with only my fridge running and use the led lights when needed. I try to conserve and usually use solar lights in evening.  Thanks for the guidance and I will check those wires per your instruction soon.