Indecisive w/ solar/Lithium wiring in RAV4 Hybrid

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AntiGroundhogDay

Reaction score
Overview:

I plan on installing my 200W solar panel on the roof of my white, 2016 RAV4 Hybrid and with the help of a 50a [font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Renogy DC-DC / MPPT charge controller, charging up a 100AH LIFEPO4 battery (Battleborn, Renogy, etc.) for my daily, overly cautious, super-duper draw of 70AH per day.  This will be an all 12V system based off USBC Power Deliver cigarette adapter devices (Example) for devices like smartphones, tablets, laptops, rechargeable lights, and then cigarette adapter devices for things like 12V fans or I'll hard-wire them w/fuse like my Engel MD-14F directly to the battery.  I'll have an AC Lithium battery charger for times where I'm at a campground in the shade with an available electrical outlet, or staying in a friend's driveway.[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]A couple points/questions:[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- [size=small][font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Starting 12V battery is in the trunk, a few feet away from the t[/font]he Renogy charge controller and 100AH battery which will live on the floor behind the front passenger seat for easy access to charging throughout the living space.[/font][/size]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- There will be no low temperature cutoff for charging the Lithium battery.  I never plan my living space to be below 0C.  I'll have a battery monitor and rely on the battery's internal safeguards otherwise.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- QUESTION. For wiring the charge controller, to the lithium and starting battery... for my cable run lengths, Renogy recommends 6 gauge wire.  I've seen everything from welder's wire, THHN, to jump-start cabling, to marine grade stuff recommended.  Is there a collective recommendation on cost effective, safe cabling to use where I'm not paying an exorbitant amount in shipping?[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]- QUESTION.  The solar panel has black MC4 cables/connectors.  I'd like to replace/mate this with WHITE cabling to travel from the solar panel and down the door seal of the rear passenger's seat of my white RAV4 hybrid and into the living space to the charge controller.  based off this calculator (21V, 10A, 2% loss) I should use 12 gauge wire.  Where would I source this white cabling cost effectively?  Seems like there is dedicated PV cabling, but also THHN cabling seems like it has the proper temperature rating as well, but is cheaper.  Is there a definitive answer here?  I haven't receive the panel yet and have never looked at solar panel wiring.  Will MC4 connectors accept 12 gauge wire?  Too big?  Too small?  [/font]

Many thanks!  :D

10 gauge is common, and I believe the standard for MC4 cables. Correct me if wrong.

You can make your own cables but for a small system it will be cheaper to buy a pre-made cable. I’m not aware of a white cable, but you should be able to either paint, tape, or conduit it. A specialty paint retailer should be able to help, I’d guess an epoxy based paint would do it well.

My system is THHN based from a system that has evolved from 2012 or 13. It’s still holding up, externally, in one place. If I was to do it again I start with MC4.

Anderson power pole is the quality alternative to MC4. There are other options, best for internal. A hard permanent sealed crimp would work and would be cheapest, even if you cut when upgrading.

I bought a multi-die crimper to do various types, it could work better, but maybe it’s the amazon crimps. A specialty retailer can be worth it.

Latest posts