Inverter/Charger and Lithium Batteries

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoingMobile

Reaction score
I bought a Kisae 1000 watt Smart Inverter-Charger. Abso IC 121040 True Sine Wave Inverter + 40 Amp Battery Charger. The Charger voltage is 13.5-14.4V and Float Range 13.4-13.8.
A friend pointed out that the packaging states: Charger Battery Type: Gel, Flooded, AGM, Fixed. It does not list Lithium and my battery bank is 2 Big Battery 12 Volt LiFeP04 170ah Lithium Batteries.

Does this mean the charger would not work for these batteries?

I've gotten by just fine for a year with 2x200 watt solar panels through a solar charge controller and a dc to dc charger while driving. So the charger is not essential and likely wouldn't be used often. Would occasional charging with shore power with this charger work? or risk damage to the system?

I don‘t own Li but have read a bit about their charge needs. First look at your battery makers charging specs. You may find it needs 14.6 - 14.8 volts bulk. The float should be appx 13.6 volts.

Many forum threads from sailing, home solar etc say you can use your type of charger it just will not be ideal. You must make sure the float is not above the 13.6-13.8 and there is no equalization. The other issue is that many FLA based chargers will read the high Li voltage and then shut off, believing the battery is full.

I know you came here for info but make sure you do your own research.
]https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/

battlebornbatteries.com -

Charging Lithium Batteries: The Basics​

A purpose built charger would be better but yours may work.

My Lithium batteries say right on them, the best charging voltage is 14.3. Just set your charger for what your brand of battery calls for.

I bought a Kisae 1000 watt Smart Inverter-Charger. Abso IC 121040 True Sine Wave Inverter + 40 Amp Battery Charger. The Charger voltage is 13.5-14.4V and Float Range 13.4-13.8.
A friend pointed out that the packaging states: Charger Battery Type: Gel, Flooded, AGM, Fixed. It does not list Lithium and my battery bank is 2 Big Battery 12 Volt LiFeP04 170ah Lithium Batteries.

Does this mean the charger would not work for these batteries?

I've gotten by just fine for a year with 2x200 watt solar panels through a solar charge controller and a dc to dc charger while driving. So the charger is not essential and likely wouldn't be used often. Would occasional charging with shore power with this charger work? or risk damage to the system?
Contact the company about disabling the charger function so that it can not come on even when using shore power.

Latest posts