Any vans in popular TV right now?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SternWake

Reaction score
The last few days, I have received  at least 7 compliments about my van, most all by late teen/early 20 somethings, males and females, and a few randoms that do not fit that criteria.

Usually this nearly  29 year old van, which is no looker by any means, and its driver get ignored or viewed suspiciously, and this driver much prefers that, as other's opinions matter less and less each and every day.

Is there some sort of Van On TV or Show somewhere else that is morphing people's attitudes regarding Vans?

I am not keen on the attention, or people wanting to get a look inside or seeing random strangers looking at me when  driving, like I am wearing a reindeer hat with flashing neon lights.

I don't watch TV (other than football) so can't answer that, but my twenty-something kids love the idea of me being a van dweller and want to help with my build! Maybe we're just a new sort of hope for their futures?!???

The A Team drive around in a black van with a red stripe striking fear into the hearts of evil doers everywhere. The van has its own web site.

There is an awesome van in "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency." Probably doesn't look like your van.

The only one I can think of, is Van Helsing.  A vampire soap opera.

TV isn't as important in shaping pop culture as it used to be.

Tiny houses, frugal living, voluntary simplicity, decluttering and nomad living have been trending on social media a while now. Less is more!

Well those who have been giving compliments to the van are not those Whom I would consider being so perceptive as to deduce my van is obviously a domecile.  There are obvious signs that it is, but how obvious they are to a stick and bricker born in the late 90's is certainly debatable.

Also My van is painted with a foam roller and a brush, and not exactly clean at the moment, so these " Sweet van dude!" comments  that have started only recently, are quite perplexing and a bit unsettling as I think at first they are being sarcastic, but then see genuine enthusiasm.

So I thought there was some sort of popular figure on social media or TV or some other medium which was influencing opinions as to what is 'cool' and what is not, regarding vans.

Hey man, run with it. It might net you a girl that likes to pee in bushes.

TMG51 said:

Why you silver tongued devil you...   :heart:

TMG51 said:

And here I have been wasting space carrying around a sterile  giant Plastic Folgers can filled with tinkle related  accoutrements, just in case a wise woman decides to seduce me.

2 more compliments today, but from guys.   'Siiiick van maaaaannnnn!!!!'

Drat.

A lot of young kids today are just into "Vintage".   If there is a Van in a Vampire show (TV or Movie)  kids will
relate to it.   As far as TV,  the vast wasteland Newton Minnows described is still thriving as such with reruns of nearly everything ever produced playing on some channel somewhere.

In my early days on the internet (mid to later 90's) I was surprised to read where kids were voicing a nostalgia
for the 60's music even.  They didn't care much for anything past the mid 80's.  I found the same on message boards that related to Vans.  Some of the kids with Van's wished they could drive into a Time Machine and be transported back to the 60's & 70's.    When the local Street Rod Shows on the Fast Food Parking Lots take place here,  the early 60's restored Van's always have kids drooling on them.  

Recently an early 80's Dodge Van (a large one with low roof) which was used to transport books from one Library branch to another was put up for sale.  Very high mileage on it.   It was sold within a day of being
placed for sale.  Some high school kid's dad bought it for him.  The Library replaced it with a brand new Ford
Van which attracts no attention from the kids.  Before, they would stand around the old one admiring it.

About like this one only white.

134593248_72a3677d19.jpg

I had a van just like that, in a very ugly brown color, back when. Lots of fun in it, sleeping bag, lawn chair, and I was good to go.

There's a tv show called "Workaholics" that has developed a somewhat of a cult following.  I actually love the show, I hated it at first but the style of humor grows on you and now  is one of my favorite shows.  It's about three college roomates who drop out of college and settle into adult hood together.  They live and work together and continue to do the things associated with college...drugs, drinking, parties, and all around shenanigans.  They actually write and produce the show themselves.  Their 4th friend (also writes and produces the show) is their drug dealer on the T.v Show and drives a "rape van"  

It's the only tv show I can currently think of that younger people watch and that has a van frequently seen in it.

Attachments

• Kyle's Rape Van.jpg
    Kyle's Rape Van.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 17
Thanks for the input all.

I am going to ask the next person who compliments my Van, why they think it is cool or what they like about it.

I wonder if it is like when I was that age, and saw a 60's or even early 70's muscle car, a few years older than myself or similar age.

Since this body style goes back to 78 or so, they could think my 89 is much older than it is and consider it to be a classic or antique or something.

Or perhaps it is the perceived 'ugliness' of the new Eurovan body styles.

Are you sure there's not a sign taped to the back of the van saying "Tell me if you like my van!" Some of my "friends" have been known to do things like that!

SternWake said:
they could think my 89 is much older than it is and consider it to be a classic or antique or something.
For genuinely young people, as opposed to us young-at-hearts, a vehicle manufactured 28 years ago is most definitely old enough!

My state will let you put a Classic Vehicle tag after "only" 20, give you discount on fees/taxes.