Make it ‘Fit’ (Honda Fit)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm twice your age but I totally get it. I really do. I have a husband and a house and four cats and while I'm not abandoning any of that, I LOVE the freedom of the open road. It's not necessarily either-or. If I may make a personal suggestion, try taking a retreat weekend, a little me-time. Get him used to the idea that you may go - and you will come back. Go to a campground with the Fit and the supplies you think you'd need for road living. a campground is a safe and private place where you can try it out without investing in stealth curtains and so on, a place with readily accessible water and a bathroom. See if sleeping all night in the front seat is really ok. Make notes about how much of a pain it was or wasn't, how hot or cold you were, what you liked best and what was a total mess. (Some things will be a total mess. That's ok, but it's good to know what to tweak when you get home.) I think it's important to try out being in the vehicle overnight and having personal knowledge of what works or doesn't before you make the commitment of totally outfitting it.

As we speak, I'm outfitting my Matrix for a 3 week road trip. :cool:

eta - the reason I say campground and not Walmart is because campgrounds have rules of conduct, including not peeking into someone else's camping space or asking them why the heck they're sleeping in their car. It can get noisy, but there is a respect of physical space not present on the street or in a parking lot.

LOL....I'm just thinking how my wife dreams of traveling the world with $ we don't have....Fiji, The Caribbean, Europe and South America. She complains about her stick in the mud husband that wants to live within our means. Meanwhile your sketching on post it notes your plans to live in your Fit.....I wish I could send her to hang out with you....maybe a little would rub off on her.

Thank you all for the support, ideas, suggestions, sharing your stories and comments!

2 game-changing things have happened:

1. The Fits been put on hold for the time being because-

-I test slept in it for half a night in my driveway and although I could see myself doing that for short term (a few days here and there) trips… it’s not very comfortable.

This led me to think up an extremely crazy plan of how I would place a make-shift bed into the fit and after watching / reading how a few people online did it in their tiny cars and re-reading how Susann did it in her hybrid; I realized that no matter how you do it- it’s not good for boondocking. I would have to leave the vehicle to fold out- roll out- pull over the bed and it’s a HUGE stealth killer. Not the best for a female in a van and my fiancé would rather just get a hotel room…

2. There have been no good garbage raids for re-usable materials for my ‘portable closet’.

I did see a desk on the side of the road yesterday but upon looking it over closely; I realized the dimensions were all wrong and the wood was too heavy.

Also- a $7-8 dollar clothing hanger box is a WAY cheaper alternative until I can get the materials for free.

Craigslist ‘free’ / ‘curb alert’ section has also been pretty dead in my area though…

Anyhow- I’m not going on any trips soon so until I get more materials – this thread is being placed on hold.

Happy Travels!

I'm surprised noone has mentioned this.  [font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif] Use a car cover for stealth.  You could probably find a nice custom "Fit"ted one.  [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Having a newer car is a big advantage as noone will question your motive for covering your car.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]It will allow you to park in safer locations (lighted areas; near other parked cars). Good parking spots are lighted areas near other parked cars where you can slip in/out of the cover unnoticed. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]You can keep the windows cracked for air circulation and use a 12v fan with auxiliary battery to keep cool if you are in hot climate.  [/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]If you live in cool climate you have a big advantage, otherwise the cover should be somewhat breathable and reflective, allowing an extra hour or two of relief from the heat. [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Another advantage of the car cover is that it provides you with time to react to thieves or police. When you know for sure that a thief is trying to break in, lean on the horn. They will not be expecting that, and they will run. Make sure to not do this to a police officer as you do not want to startle them.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I got this and other useful info from: [/font][font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]http://guide2homelessness.blogspot.com/[/font]

I don't know about this covering your car with a car cover while you are inside. I know with myself at least I can not be in a tent if the sun is hitting it, gets way to hot. even though I don't use a tent except in the rain or snow. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I don't know about this covering your car with a car cover while you are inside.  I know with myself at least I can not be in a tent if the sun is hitting it,   gets way to hot.  even though I don't use a tent except in the rain or snow.  highdesertranger

I have already tried this myself.  My car cover is loosely fitted, semi-breathable, and decently reflective.  There is good air circulation with the windows down, and moderate circulation with them cracked.  It is MUCH cooler than not having a cover if the sun is out.  

That being said, if you read my initial post again I am not suggesting that you sit in your car during the day.  I only said that it will provide you with an hour or two more cool conditions during the morning so you can sleep in a little longer without being woken by the late morning heat.

Yours truly, Yorz Trewli

CarCampire, here is a clothing hint that I use.....I bought 4 black garment bags...the kind that holds 2-3 garments and fold in half and the bottom has a tab that goes over the hangers. Then I bought cheap curtain rods long enough and thin enough to go over my garment hanging clips in my car. (I have a Dodge Caravan) so it also has entry handles that I attached my curtain rod to as well. I sewed tabs at the bottom of my garment bag and attached Velcro to the end and on the bag so I could hang the folded garment bag over the rod and place the hangers on it as well. It serves two purposes.....it stores my clothes, towels, etc. and black outs the windows at the same time. To keep it close to the inside walls I attached hooks in the walls in front of where I want my bags to begin and same in the rear of the car and then attach a bungee cord from hook to hook threading it between the folded bags. That keeps them tighter to the walls. Just a suggestion.