Van Essential: Making money while living in a van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Van-Tramp

Reaction score
This post from my blog - https://www.van-tramp.com/wp/van-essential-making-money-while-living-in-a-van/[/SIZE]

It is the big question isn’t it? Everyone wants to know how to make money while living in a van.
In the beginning, I was lucky enough that I had regular income that financed my life on the road. I had my own online business that was created years before I became a nomad. During the years I’ve been traveling, it had stopped growing and eventually declined to the point that I was not earning enough to justify the time it took each day to operate. At the end of 2016 I closed down the business and like so many others in this lifestyle, I had to figure out how to make a living while keeping my nomadic lifestyle. To some it may seem an easy answer. I hear the following all the time;

First, just put ads on a blog and the money will come pouring in, right?. The reality is that making money on a blog is not a reality. Right now I put only a few hours a week into Van-Tramp.com (I’d rather be doing other things) and the ads on this site earn a whole $10-$15 each month. Sure, I could put more time in to generate more traffic and earn more, but the hourly wage would not change, and my happiness would definitely drop. In my experience, ads will pay well less than minimum wage. Making a living by placing ads on a blog is a myth, nothing more.

So how about those Amazon affiliate links? Sure, I write posts that feature Amazon items and link to them via an Amazon affiliate link, and even get a few nickels each time anyone clicks through and makes a purchase. However, the earnings average out to about $15 per month again. Yes, I could write more blog posts featuring Amazon items and possibly generate more income, but again it comes down to an hourly wage in my mind; hours invested per dollar earned is always going to be pretty poor for blogs. Sadly, another myth on making any real amount of money.

Lastly, we always hear of these YouTuber’s that earn thousands of dollars each week vLog’ing about their travels. Don’t fool yourself that it is common. They are the fraction of a fraction of percentage of the population of nomads and they put many hours every day into their work, and thousands of dollars each month into the gear, filming, and processing, to bring in that kind of money. Once again, the time invested for the money earned will be minimum wage or less… and then only if you are a 20-something female that prepares her vegan food – topless – in a pristine Vanagon (or what ever van is the fad this year). Us middle-aged dudes… we will only get a few nickels per month for our efforts.

Let’s just be honest; the previous three paragraphs are the hard truth. Anyone who thinks they are the first to think up a #VanLife blog or a YouTube channel as the answer to their financial woes stands in a very long line of people soon to find out that they wasted a lot of time and money. It’s been done, and over-done, for many years and by many people far more experienced in all areas. There is no easy money to be made just because you have an Internet connection and a van.

However, there are some viable and realistic options – for some folks – to earn enough [extra] income and remain on the road indefinitely. Obviously, you can always find a job that allows you to work remotely, but you already know about that, and how difficult it is to acquire one. For the rest of us, what do we do?

1. The simplest is to take on seasonal jobs while at each location. That may require longer stays in certain regions, but working for an hourly wage at a ski resort, or amusement park, during the high season can start your next travels with a nice load of extra cash. Some states have a minimum wage nearing $15 per hour, which can really boost a savings account for a frugal van dweller. I once took on a job at my local gym for six months to earn a nice sum, all while getting my membership for free and daily hot showers. The extra income paid for my trip to Hawaii, and a nice boost to the savings which would supplement my regular income for the following two years.
  2. Then there is always the Amazon Camperforce which hires tens of thousands of seasonal workers every year during the holiday season. They pay well and may even fix you up in an RV park for free or cheap. Amazon works people hard, but a few months of hard work can finance the rest of the year of frugal traveling for some. However, there are thousands of people applying for the positions, so Amazon can pick and choose who they wish to employ. You may not always get a position.
  3. If you are a good writer, there are many online sites that will pay for articles, though they may be on a subject you have no interest in. I’ve never done this personally (I’m no writer) but I know of others that do this for extra cash. I do not get the feeling it is a sole-income type of deal, but a few dollars here and there can help stretch what you already have in the bank account to extend the nomadic lifestyle you want.
  4. If you lead a more stationary life, there are always tasks that you can do for others in your area, for a fee. Utilizing sites such as TaskRabbit you can run errands for a busier (and richer) person. Basically, this is the white-man’s version of sitting out in front of Home Depot waiting to score a day-job.
  5. Unorthodox, but still valid; Donating plasma is becoming very popular across the states. There are a lot of hoops that need to be jumped through, but someone donating plasma the twice per week maximum, can earn $400-$500 per month in just a few hours of ‘work’. The one I visited required that I was a resident of the immediate area, but that may not be a requirement for them all. Considering how much you get paid for the one hour of work ($40-50) it could be combined with others to really supplement that bank account.

For me, I took another route. In 2017 I started learning a new trade; software coding – something that I had wanted to learn for many years. I already had some knowledge in that area so it was an easy subject to pickup. I downloaded some free software and code samples, watched online tutorials, and within a short period of time I was able to create my own apps and start selling them on the app stores. Or I can take odd jobs on services like Freelancer if I so please. Personally, I enjoy doing my own things on my own timelines, so I’ve kept my coding to my own projects so far.

[size=medium]
There are numerous other professions that are quite friendly to a nomadic lifestyle, and with a little planning ahead (if you are one to plan ahead) and a little time, anyone can learn trades that are nomad-friendly; programming, web development, transcribing… what ever makes you happy.

I’m on SSDI for an illness with no cure. It sucks that I am ill, have to see the doctor every four months, and require medical care. I get $1298 a month which barely covers expenses and food, it doesn’t cover much in the way of gas money. But it works for me. I get to have some freedom and I’m not stuck living in public housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are called journeymen for a reason. The travel (or journey) from job to job.

I'm fortunate because I can do all my work online.

But whenever people ask me what I do for a living, I tell them that I rob gas stations. Good pay, short hours, and I get to be my own boss.

Van-Tramp said:
  1. If you are a good writer, there are many online sites that will pay for articles, though they may be on a subject you have no interest in. I’ve never done this personally (I’m no writer) but I know of others that do this for extra cash. I do not get the feeling it is a sole-income type of deal, but a few dollars here and there can help stretch what you already have in the bank account to extend the nomadic lifestyle you want.
I've done some of that.  I had a steady gig doing it for a while.  Writing for content mills is an industry that crashed years ago.  There are literally millions of poor people in third-world countries who are more than willing to get paid almost nothing to write up what is usually more or less filler material for web sites.  Lots of underemployed people in first world countries too, who will literally be happy to get paid virtually anything.  
There are some who do better than others, but percentage-wise, very very few do at all well.  And the work is spectacularly unsteady.

Van-Tramp said:
  1. Seasonal jobs
  2. Then there is always the Amazon Camperforce 
  3. No opinion
  4.  TaskRabbit 
  5. Plasma
1. Don't forget about the sugar beet harvest! Look it up if y'all don't know.  Very easy to get on, just apply early.  Also, the highest state minimum wage is $12.50 (DC).  Some cities, like Seattle, have higher minimum wages ($15) but you'll have to work in the city.
2. Amazon is a pretty easy job to get if you just apply early.  My wife and I each earned about 8k for 3.5 months work. Campground always included if your apply through camperforce.
4. I went to sign up for this to see if it would work while traveling or if you had to have a home base area.  It costs money to join, and opted out.  Would love to hear if anybody is using this to much success
5. You will need to stationary to use a plasma bank.  You must have proof of residency.  They typically pay higher rates for the first week, sometimes two, then the rate drops down.  Your are expected to come in twice a week.  You'll be paid more for the second visit in a week as your incentive.  When I was doing it the past was roughly like this:
First week: $50/$60 = $110
Every week after that: $20/$30 = $50
I've done this in a few areas over the years and I've found that unpopular clinics pay better than ones with plenty of donors.  Aka avoid college and low-income areas.  Maybe try to find one that's kind of rural.
--------
Just my 2 cents. Nice write-up though.  Very true about all that #vanlife internet monies tho.  Sorry guys.  Best way to make money is to work.

I'm surprised more people aren't jumping on the poker dealing thing, though I can see where the $1200 class requirement can be a big obstacle. That, and the poker world is a bit foreign to most people.

Take a 5 week class for $1000-1500 or track down a cheap/free one. Make $10k+ in 2 months every Summer in Las Vegas. There are shorter gigs available if you want them year round for $25-30/hr or just do the Summer thing.

Dingfelder said:
Writing for content mills is an industry that crashed years ago.  There are literally millions of poor people in third-world countries who are more than willing to get paid almost nothing to write up what is usually more or less filler material for web sites.  Lots of underemployed people in first world countries too, who will literally be happy to get paid virtually anything.  
There are some who do better than others, but percentage-wise, very very few do at all well.  And the work is spectacularly unsteady.
This is absolutely true.  Between third world countries, and those desperate to be 'published,' freelance writing wages haven't changed much since the 60's according to my research.  To earn a decent living online, writers have to hustle, work hard, work well under pressure and maintain a very good reputation. (Not that this isn't required anyway, or in any other field, but it's made especially difficult due to these other folks.)

Can anyone lead me to good resources (or just explain to me) how working on the road works?  

1. Don't you need a permanent address to apply for work?  
  2. Even if you get a permanent address in every state you work in, don't employers want a copy of your drivers license and phone number, which would likely be out of state? 
  3. If your permanent address is officially in Tennessee, how do you get work in Texas?  (States are just an example and not specific to the question.)
  4. Where can I learn about the tax laws/requirements, and tax benefits, of working temporary jobs while on the road?
If someone's written a detailed and practical book about how to get temporary/seasonal work on the road, with examples and all the considerations involved, please let me know.  I'll buy it today.

1. Not sure, but why dont you get one? SD, TX, and FL states all provide this service

2. What do the employers care if you have out of state info. Makes mo difference to them at all

3. You do not need an adress in each state to work in said state, just one... any one. American citizenship covers all 50 states

4. www.irs.gov

1.  Yes, I know about having an established permanent address over all.  I plan to have one in SD.

2 and 3.  Many employers do care, whether we think they should or not.  An out-of-state address would invite a lot of questions:  "I see you have a South Dakota address.  Where are you living now?  We'll need that address so we can send you..."  etc.

4.  The IRS has a section for people living in vans?  Hearing practical experience beats blindly surfing the IRS website hoping you hit all the key factors to not get yourself in trouble with them.  

If you are applying for seasonal employment they do NOT expect you to have a local address. For instance a lot of folks find work in Quartzsite, no one expects you to be a local. There aren’t enough locals. Ski resorts, national parks and other places that have tourist seasons hire out of towners for seasonal work. I’ve worked in these places, this is personal experience.

Camp host positions don’t require a local address . I’m applying for a position as a camp host and they don’t care where I have my drivers license or get my mail. It is a 1099 position, I would be an independent contractor. They are more concerned that I’m not on drugs and my TT isn’t a derelict.

Many employers do require a local drivers license. I've seen it as a requirement in countless job listings, especially government ones or ones requiring even the slightest possibility of driving.

I think some of it is probably required simply for insurance purposes, and elsewhere it's policy.

Just like most everything in life, it's going to vary I guess. I appreciate all the information. Lots of itches getting scratched, to be worried about when the time comes. With everything I learn, my passion for van life is only increasing, which lets me know I'm making the right decision.

In the meantime, I'm working on setting up several income streams so I don't have to rely on workations. But it's great to know they're there.

If you live & work for long in any state, that becomes your legal domicile, you do not have any say in the matter, nothing to do with your choice of address.

Same with enrolling in a college etc.

If the state collects income tax, they tend to enforce it, and can take an effort to terminate that resident status when you move away.

Drivers licence and registration laws are separate but similar.

People who make normal incomes pay lawyers for this stuff.

Low income, knowing the general theoretical / legal principles only goes so far.

Either fly under the radar, or figure it out from a practical POV with local advice, every state even county / town is different.

Dingfelder said:
Many employers do require a local drivers license. I've seen it as a requirement in countless job listings, especially government ones or ones requiring even the slightest possibility of driving.

I think some of it is probably required simply for insurance purposes, and elsewhere it's policy.
In-state residents keep their accounting / payroll people from wasting time on the complications.

Obviously you can limit your job search to employers that don't care.

But if you are a professional or want a specific type of job, then setting up "just enough" to look like a state resident for a time may be worthwhile.

Does not mean you completely give up your "back home" status wrt most providers, but switching DL / reg too often is of course expensive and a PITA.

Health care and other social service benefits will be the biggest PITA in that situation, be careful not to put yourself in the situation where you could be accused of fraud.

I like South Dakota and will do what I can beyond the minimum requirements to be a legal resident there.  A van dweller on YouTube just uploaded a video of driving to S.D. to get registered again after the My Dakota Address fiasco.  All he had to do was get a receipt from a motel for one night, take it in to Dakota Post, and register.  He already had a S.D. drivers license but went into the DMV to change his address.  Licenses there are good for five years and the guy at the DMV knew what he was doing because of the address but didn't give him a hard time at all.  He just reminded him to be sure to come back for at least one night a year.  He said the process was painless and Dakota Post was definitely a lot more of a professional outfit than My Dakota Address was.

How does Wyoming compare to South Dakota as a state for a permanent address? I know they don't have income tax, but don't know anything else about it. My top four states I'd move to anyway are South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming and Idaho.

You do not need to come back to SD every year to stay a night. That is required only once to get you DL the first time. After that you only need to return every 5 years to renew your DL