Any paddlers out there?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ballenxj said:
The canoe is generally drier? I was unaware of that. That is something to consider. Is that 55 lb trolling motor run by battery, and if so, how long will it last? More stuff to research I guess.

I think as far as entry level boats go the main advantage the Yak possess to most is the lighter weight and it enhanced general ability for a novice to navigate easier white water over a canoe.

Canoes are much better to adapt to using a trolling motor or depending on the model of the boat up to a 5 horsepower gas engine. Trolling motors are electric and the type of motor, size of battery and how high you twist the throttle all affect how long before a battery recharge is needed. Generally if you take your time and do not run wide open all day you can get a battery to last a full day of fishing at least. Current and wind will have an effect also.

For my use it will all be flat water or slow lazy current conditions.I just want to enjoy being out and fishing and will not be in any big hurry to get from point a to point b. 2.5-3.0 mph will be plenty fast for most situations and I should be able to maintain that at about 40-50% throttle setting.

Also the type of circuitry or electronics that control the throttle settings will affect the run time at less than 100% throttle. It generally cost 80-100 dollars more to get the advanced circuitry but is a worthwhile initial increase in cost as you will get a payback in longer run times every time you use the motor for as long as you own it.

Another thing for the youngsters the yak is the in thing and trendy. Most young people think of a canoe as something their grandpa used! lol! Sometimes being old takes you back to simple, old school things that just flat out work!

I haven't had a chance to get back on the water yet. May is a bad month for water, too cold, and people are itching for outdoor activities. Lots of people drown during May around here. I need to be patient (yeah, me patient!) and wait for 70s-80s weather.

I do like an inflatable kayak though. Packs up compact, and the first time blowing it up, it's a pain, the second time it's a five minute setup. I will get over the fear of sharp objects. It's not like I'm carrying my harpoon around.

Hey, want to hear a funny paddling story?

In high school I belonged to a backpacker's club. One March we went on a canoe paddle down the Au Sable river. This is in Michigan, in March. Snow on the ground, yeah, cold. Anyway, me and the teacher were in the same canoe and we're rounding a bend and my jacket got caught on a branch and we both fell in! We had to change clothes fast, and the rest of the day, I was paddling like a mad woman to stay warm.

Yes, cautionary tale, be wary of cold water, it will suck the heat out of you quickly.

Camp is set up at Wekiva State Park and will be out on water by noon

right now i am enjoying watching the deer & turkey on the trail behind my campsite

wekiva 1.jpg  

wekiva 3a.jpg

Attachments

• wekiva 1.jpg
    wekiva 1.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 4
  • wekiva 3a.jpg
    wekiva 3a.jpg
    888.7 KB · Views: 9
Ballenxj and anyone else trying to decide on a watercraft. I'd highly recommend a "Try before you buy on the water boat demo"
3 of my local camping stores offer these throughout the summer.  I think REI might too.  Most stores will have a web page with a calendar of events, or it's probably easiest to just call them.  When I've done this they will also bring a specific boat if you ask.
Great way to test a few different models and have a "free" day on the water.
Besides paddling I'd also lift the boat up and envision what it would take to carry and store it on your vehicle.

There are lots of tourist companies that offer kayak tours.  You'd be able to enjoy the scenery and get some paddling tips from the guide.

Another point to consider is how many times a year will you actually get your boat in the water?  Renting could be the easier method if you only get out 3-4 times a year.

Canoe vs Kayak?  Depends on the person and the situation.
I used to canoe a lot, grew up making yearly trips into the BWCA.  However, I now find sitting on a canoe seat to be simular to sitting on a bench seat and it is uncomfortable for my neck and back.  The kayak I find very comfortable.  My brother is the opposite.  Kayaks are uncomfortable for him and he still prefers the canoe.  The only way to find out which is right for you is to spend an hour on the water.

Florida boondocker said:
Camp is set up at Wekiva State Park and will be out on water by noon

right now i am enjoying watching the deer & turkey on the trail behind my campsite

You SUCK!
  Just kidding, I'm actually jealous. Have fun. :)

gsfish said:
I bought a canoe back in the mid 70's from an old timer that said he invented Bondo.

Several years ago I bought a motorcycle, a BMW R100GS from Tim Niemier.  Or more specifically, from his brother (the bike was registered to Tim).  

Tim is credited with inventing, designing and creating the first sit-on-top kayaks and then founding the company "Ocean Kayak".  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Niemier

Back then I wasn't into kayaking at all, so the bike didn't hold the same significance that it would now.  

In hindsight I sure wish I'd kept that bike.  :s

BigT said:
Several years ago I bought a motorcycle, a BMW R100GS from Tim Niemier. 
<-------->
In hindsight I sure wish I'd kept that bike. 
I'll bet you do. :(
PS, while looking through CL at kayaks again reminded me of this thread. Rise Lazarus.

Our July trip to FL is coming up, we're going to go the Kayaks by Bo in Titusville and do some demos. LOVE that they want you to try any and all boats you might be interested in before buying. I am so ready to be back on the water.

Queen said:
Our July trip to FL is coming up, we're going to go the Kayaks by Bo in Titusville and do some demos.  LOVE that they want you to try any and all boats you might be interested in before buying.  I am so ready to be back on the water.
That sounds like fun. :)

Sure hope so. I figure, even with a bum leg I can paddle all day and have it be a non issue, pretty exciting!

Queen can you sit for an extended period. I know I gotta move some or start feeling stuck.

Queen said:
Sure hope so.  I figure, even with a bum leg I can paddle all day and have it be a non issue, pretty exciting!

As long as you don't get leg cramps. That would be my worry. I guess a good foot rest would prevent that?

Cammalu said:
Queen can you sit for an extended period.  I know I gotta move some or start feeling stuck.

Getting a good seat and quality footrests are key, keeps the pressure off.  We stop on the little islands and take breaks, move around,reapply sunscreen, have lunch and something to drink.  I also find a sit-on-top is better when you have a bum leg, you can drape it over the side if you need to change position.

Right. Whenever I have to go to Camping World I always walk next door to Cabelas and browse around. I always end up looking at the kayaks although know nothing about them. I keep thinking maybe I could bring some toys with me on my great adventure (I have a small four wheeler) but don't want to tow anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got one of those cargo baskets to carry my kayak and paddling gear. Got a good Curt class III hitch put on recently.

Definitely rent before you buy, trying different sizes and styles will help you pinpoint what you like best. There are so many to choose from and they all do different things. If you're thinking open water (like out in the ocean or Great Lakes) there are different necessities, yak fishing, same thing. If you just want to paddle around in a small lake or slow moving river and be in nature, most anything from a big box place will work.