Any paddlers out there?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Queen, I've seen too many shark/kayak YouTube videos to ever take one into the ocean. I used to be OK until jaws came out. I think that had a big effect on a lot of people.

Walden bound what cargo basket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got this: Pro Series 63153 Rambler Hitch Cargo Carrier for 2" Receivers

Cammalu, the ultimate place to sea kayak is the San Juan Islands of Washington. Too cold and rainy for sharks. There's so many little islands, it's just water, island, water, island. The downside is you have to dress to the nines because of the cold water. But, BEAUTIFUL paddling!

Cammalu said:
Queen, I've seen too many shark/kayak YouTube videos to ever take one into the ocean. I used to be OK until jaws came out. I think that had a big effect on a lot of people.

Walden bound what cargo basket?

Same with my honey, she will NOT go into the ocean, but she's willing to try the Intracoastal next to our place.  I'm proud of her since there's sharks there too (but not a lot).  I hope she can adjust and relax, otherwise it's going to end up being a solo pursuit.

waldenbound said:
I got this: Pro Series 63153 Rambler Hitch Cargo Carrier for 2" Receivers

You carry a kayak on that? Doesn't it stick out the sides of your vehicle?

I got an inflatable kayak. Just toss the bag in the basket and off I go!

Oh, inflatable..... no teeth marks in it so far I assume [emoji15] gulp

Heh. I have only kayaked on the ocean once. It was a sit on top kayak and I am more used to sit inside kayaks. I wasn't afraid of sharks but was afraid that I would fall off the thing and then get hypothermia before I could swim to shore. This was N. California. I wouldnt have that fear in Florida.

On a side note, I was once in Myrtle Beach swimming with a friend. A great big school of fish came in near shore and so we went to go see them and swim among them. Bad idea. A shark attacked! Not us but the fish. I am so unafraid of sharks that I didn't want to stop swimming but my friend insisted. LOL. It was just a little one though, maybe two feet long. Still, she likes to tell that story at parties although in her version it has morphed into a great white and I refused to go to shore until she dragged me out. I wouldn't worry about sharks if I were in a boat, even a kayak.

Slynne that sounds so scary

Great story slynne!
There are so many variety of sharks, they're not all the man-eating great whites of Jaws.

slynne said:
Heh. I have only kayaked on the ocean once. It was a sit on top kayak and I am more used to sit inside kayaks. I wasn't afraid of sharks but was afraid that I would fall off the thing and then get hypothermia before I could swim to shore. This was N. California. I wouldnt have that fear in Florida.

On a side note, I was once in Myrtle Beach swimming with a friend. A great big school of fish came in near shore and so we went to go see them and swim among them. Bad idea. A shark attacked! Not us but the fish. I am so unafraid of sharks that I didn't want to stop swimming but my friend insisted. LOL. It was just a little one though, maybe two feet long. Still, she likes to tell that story at parties although in her version it has morphed into a great white and I refused to go to shore until she dragged me out. I wouldn't worry about sharks if I were in a boat, even a kayak.

The beach where we live is the "shark bite capitol of the world", usually nothing serious, just sharks nipping at surfers thinking they're fish, but it's the combination of the Intracoastal Inlet feeding into the ocean along a jetty; juvenile fish grow in the intracoastal and exit into the ocean at the inlet, the jetty creates awesome waves, sharks like to eat the small fish = lots of surfers getting nipped.  I still swim nearby all the time.

Cammalu said:
I never saw very many sharks while paddling out in Tampa Bay, and most of those were the little Bonnetheads, only 3-4 feet long.
Have had several sharks and several alligators swim right under the 'yak, though.

waldenbound said:
 San Juan Islands of Washington.

Always wanted to visit there. Mostly because I'm a history nerd and know about the Pig War.  :)

Crocodiles do!!!!

slynne said:
hmmm. Alligators dont go in the ocean do they?

Nope--they don't like saltwater (though crocs do). But I've done an awful lot of paddling in Florida ponds and rivers, where there are gators galore. And manatees.  :)

Really? I did not know that crocodiles live in Florida too. Wow. Learn something new every day. I think I will still swim at the beaches in Florida and will just hope for the best. Seems low risk :)

6eebec8b23db46fa78664aa3425a566c.jpg