Any paddlers out there?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went out on an Easter paddle with my new Advanced Elements AdvancedFrame kayak.

Went out to a lake near me called Deep Lake. Inflating the kayak was kind of an ordeal, I had a crappy hand pump that the guage didn't go low enough. It would only read at 7 psi and above. Manual says inflate to 2 psi.  :huh:

So, I finally get the kayak inflated and...it's heavy. I mean quite heavy. I had to get someone help me bring it down to the water.  :blush:
I need to do some weights so I can lift 36 pounds to my shoulder reliably.

Finally, I launch my boat into the water and...it's taking on water! I was sitting in it wrong, I had to go back to shore, and get in so my legs were straight out. Launch again and...it is windy. I mean really windy. So I decide to just paddle around in a smallish area and get used to how it handles and turning and keeping straight. I didn't want to try and paddle to the other shore because of the wind, and because I was in an inflatable boat. Two things scare me, hypothermia and sharp objects. And Deep Lake is deep, 75 feet deep. My PFD would keep me from sinking to Davey Jones' locker, but the hypothermia would kill me.

So, after my short paddle, I really need to get my arms in shape for this sport, I get the kayak back into Tilikum the Adventure Van and come home to a pile of wet clothes and gear.

As for the boat, it really is a nice boat, once I get the hang of inflating it and such. It's 10 feet long and tough, it's not a pool toy.

Ballenxj said:
Question, would a skin on frame kayak also sink if it capsized? 
Thanks for all the information.

It would depend whether or not it has water-tight bulkheads or floatation bags in it.  
I'd be pretty surprised if a skin-over-frame boat had bulkheads, though.  Bulkheads require a tight fit against the inside of the hull/deck to create a leak-proof seal and keep the water out.  

Bulkheads, usually located just past your feet and just behind the cockpit, create air pockets in the boat so that only the cockpit gets flooded should you capsize or take on water.  

Air bags do the same thing by inflating inside the boat 'till they press tightly up against the inside of the walls/deck/hull.  
The downside to air bags is that they consume a lot of storage space.  

My biggest concern with a skin-boat or inflatable, is their potential to rip or puncture should you hit something sharp on, over, in, or under the water.  
An issue that could result in you having to swim back to your car.

My suggestion stands: Get yourself a sturdy Rotomold/plastic sit-on-top.  You won't have to take any lessons to use it, you won't have to worry about it flooding and sinking, and it will be bulletproof.  Most modern sit-on-top kayaks have hatches and storage compartments for your stuff, so you won't have to deal with air bags robbing you of a place to carry you lunch/water.

Nice pic, waldenbound. How did it track in the wind?

Queen said:
Nice pic, waldenbound.  How did it track in the wind?

Can't tell, I was sort of thrashing around anyways. I have to watch more videos on basic strokes. REI expert advise says the torso does the work and it should be smooth and effortless.

Well this was just your 1st outing, you did learn things, so try and make your next outing on a low windy day. Lot's of YouTube on Paddling you can look at,  just take it easy, if you have a stable boat ( I think you do ) relax paddle gently and enjoy. Like a lot of thing's in life, the more you do some thing the easier it becomes.

MM

waldenbound said:
Can't tell, I was sort of thrashing around anyways. I have to watch more videos on basic strokes. REI expert advise says the torso does the work and it should be smooth and effortless.

A good way to practice: sit in your boat with your hands locked near your waist, and paddle without moving your arms--just use the rotation back and forth of your body at the waist. Concentrate on making short even strokes.

Then gradually use your arms to extend your stroke.

Most beginners paddle using their arms--which makes them burn and want to fall off. Your power should come from the rotation of your body.

kyakks are WET i did it for a year. and the older you get the harder it gets(gravity gets stronger the older you get),,,i now have a square stern canoe a 45 lb. thrust trolling motor,,,,priceless

I did in fact just go out today and look at one called a Scupper Pro. It seemed nice, and I talked to the guy a bit about it. I'm still researching kayaks.

lenny flank said:
Once you get your feet wet, you'll be hooked.  ;)

I get the feeling I might. That what scares me. :)
PS, the guy I talked to about it said I don't need specific racks to carry one. He said I could just strap it to the roof rack on my Subaru. I imagine the same would be true if I put a roof rack on my van? Although I would like to use a roof rack on the van for solar. Hmm.

It's a lot like van-dwelling---there are a bazillion doodads and gadgets you can get, most of which you'll likely never use anyway. ;)

Yeh, there are ways to attach it to pretty much any roof rack. I used to carry mine on a cartop without any rack at all: just tied the ends to the front and rear bumpers and ran a strap around the roof through the windows.

Of course, carrying around a kayak will ruin all semblance of "stealth". ;)

lenny flank said:
 Yeh, there are ways to attach it to pretty much any roof rack. I used to carry mine on a cartop without any rack at all: just tied the ends to the front and rear bumpers and ran a strap around the roof through the windows.
Like a seat belt for a kayak? :p
When I first started looking I thought racks for kayaks were pretty specific? Now I guess necessity is the mother of invention.

I like the looks of those sit ons, always was a bit afraid of a kayak, as I had visions of flipping and not being able to roll

ArtW said:
I like the looks of those sit ons, always was a bit afraid of a kayak, as I had visions of flipping and not being able to roll

I've been looking at both, but lean towards the sit on kayaks for safety issues. I still have a lot to learn though.
I do not plan on doing any white water trips. Mainly would like one just for recreational touring and cruising.

Here's a link to a reiew of a foldable kayak.  It's 26lbs 12' long(assembled) and costs $1600.
https://gearjunkie.com/oru-bay-st-folding-kayak-overnight-trip-review
Pictures of this foldable kayak in it's bag and also of it assembled at bottom of post.

I love kayaking and this foldup looks interesting.  I'd definitely test b4 buying.
This weekend I'm planning on getting my 2 kayaks washed up, and pictured to sell on craigs.  A 17' long fiberglass seakayak and a 14' sit-on-top, both too big to take with me.
I will take my inflatable pack-raft.  It's less than 6lbs and packs down to 8"x22"  Inflated it's 8'1" long. It's great for going down rivers with a current(they're made for white water) or if you just want to get into the water for awhile.  But because of short length their maximum speed is slow, so not so great for paddling against the current or for going long distances on flat water.
Pack-raft link: http://www.alpackaraft.com/

Attachments

• oru-folding-kayak-1.jpg
    oru-folding-kayak-1.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2738.jpg
    IMG_2738.jpg
    586.2 KB · Views: 6
mnpaul said:
Here's a link to a reiew of a foldable kayak.  It's 26lbs 12' long(assembled) and costs $1600.
https://gearjunkie.com/oru-bay-st-folding-kayak-overnight-trip-review
Pictures of this foldable kayak in it's bag and also of it assembled at bottom of post.

Oru, eh? I looked at one folding kayak by Folbot. I was thinking that was the one you might have posted because it too is 26 lbs. When I started watching a youtube video on how to assemble it, I gave up halfway through the 21 minute video. It was not only pricey, but seemed way too complicated. I may go back and finish watching it later. I think I would want to assemble it and haul it to the water that way instead of spending  that much time on it when I got there. 26 lbs makes it tempting.

It seems that in general that the kayak has really taken over the market when compared to the canoe. I have been looking around and researching a fair bit and decided that the general drier ride of the canoe was for me and with the right choice in boats stability could had had as well.
I did find that as far as canoes go the lighter the more expensive as usually it is built out of more exotic materials such as kevlar.
From what I found for me most of the Old Town canoes as far as the mass available and reasonable price point option just seem to be a touch above in quality, fit and finish and even materials over most of the other common brands at the big box stores.

I prefer to buy on the used market to save some dollars and found a boat in excellent condition that I think will suit my needs. The boat I found is a 1992 model Old Town Discovery 160k. Heavy and wide and the research I had done seemed to say it was a workhorse, very stable and as a single operator was better to row than try to paddle. I did have to laugh as from Old Town it has two sets of oar locks in different seating positions and I did get a set of the actual Old Town brand oars designed for this boat and a trolling motor mount that goes from gunwale to gunwale.

My intended usage is going to be for fishing and I am going to run a 55 lb trolling motor for propulsion. I will only row or paddle if I have no other options! Hopefully I will have it all together soon.

vfourmax said:
It seems that in general that the kayak has really taken over the market when compared to the canoe. I have been looking around and researching a fair bit and decided that the general drier ride of the canoe was for me and with the right choice in boats stability could had had as well.
<-------->
My intended usage is going to be for fishing and I am going to run a 55 lb trolling motor for propulsion. I will only row or paddle if I have no other options! Hopefully I will have it all together soon.
The canoe is generally drier? I was unaware of that. That is something to consider. Is that 55 lb trolling motor run by battery, and if so, how long will it last? More stuff to research I guess.