any kayakers here?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I now use a tandem inflatable kayak. It is fine for flatwater (lakes and gentle rivers) but I don't think it would do well in whitewater or offshore. It fits uninflated in the back of my tow vehicle and is light enough for a single older guy like myself to handle. I miss my old hard sit-inside kayak, but for all the reasons already given (weight, space, etc) I had to give it up. If I ever come across a folding kayak in my price range, I'll certainly give it a go. OR, I might get some PVC pipes and canvas and give a DIY version a shot. :)

My kid and her little dog on the kayak at the state park. Our little dog kayaks everywhere with us :) One reason we bought her the kayak she has, it had to 'have dog room' too LOL if you click the pic you can see it bigger and yes he is wearing a little yellow lifejacket HA
My dogs kayak with me too. Even the golden retriever, but she is very chill.

Guess you've never been to Michigan. Michigan has tens of thousands of miles of rivers and streams. In Michigan you're never more than 6 miles from a body of water or 85 miles from a Great Lake - which means you're never more than six miles from great fishing!

8 amazing water facts only Michiganders can brag about​

Published: May. 26, 2017, 1:00 p.m.
By Emily Bingham | [email protected]
facebook

twitter

shares
22766239-standard.jpg

Reader-submitted photo

By Emily Bingham | [email protected]

When it comes to the list of all the things Michigan has to brag about, our rivers, lakes and freshwater seas would certainly be near the top. And we take advantage of it, too: Michigan consistently ranks in the top three states nationwide when it comes to boat registrations. Read on for a list of brag-worthy water facts from the Michigan DNR.

22766271-standard.jpg

Grand Rapids Press file photo

You are never more than six miles from a body of water.

It's true: In Michigan you're never more than a few minutes away from some kind of water, whether it's a river, a lake, or one of the Great Lakes.

22766291-standard.jpg

Michigan Department of Natural Resources

You are never more than 85 miles from a Great Lake.

This pleasant peninsula makes it possible for us to be approximately less than a two hour drive from one of the Great Lakes -- home to one fifth of the world's fresh water supply.

22766372-standard.jpg

Lake Charlevoix near Boyne City | Heidi Fenton

We have more than 11,000 inland lakes.

What'd you say, Minnesota? Something about being the land of 10,000 lakes? Well, Michigan actually has 11,000 lakes that weigh in at five acres or larger. (Incidentally, the top three largest lakes within Michigan are Houghton Lake, Torch Lake, and Lake Charlevoix).

22766438-standard.jpg

Megan Hart

We also have 3,288 miles of Great Lakes shoreline.

Unsurprisingly, this puts us at No. 1 when it comes to having the most freshwater coastline of any state in the U.S. Additionally, Michigan is in the top 10 of all coastal states when it comes to any type coastline -- freshwater or ocean.

22766467-standard.jpg

U.S. Army Corps of Engineers

Michigan has more than 80 public harbors.

Thanks to the creation of the Michigan State Waterways Commission in 1947, the Great Lakes State has plenty of places to seek shelter in your boat. According to the Michigan Boating Industries Association, Michigan's public harbors are no more than 15 miles apart.

22766555-standard.jpg

A marina on Mackinac Island. Grand Rapids Press file photo

And more than 400 private marinas.

Which sometimes turn into their own little communities come summertime.

22766684-standard.jpg

Fritz Klug / Kalamazoo Gazette

Michigan has more than 1,300 public boat launches.

With a Recreation Passport ($11 annually for motorized vehicles), Michigan motorists get access to the state's many boat launches -- plus daily access to state parks, recreation areas, state forest campgrounds, and non-motorized state trailhead parking.

22768642-standard.jpg

Ken Stevens

When boating the Great Lakes, you're never more than 30 miles from a harbor.

Take comfort in knowing a safe shelter is never far away.

22784178-standard.jpg

We are both in our mid 50's and travel with a pair of Future Beach Trophy 126 sit in kayaks. We can do some rapids but prefer when we can put in and take out at the same launch. Before we hit the road we lived in Virginia and constantly paddled the Potomac and Rappahannock Rivers. We use the Go Paddling app to find boat launches all over the country. There is flat water and easy river and lake water paddling all over the country. We've paddled in Michigan, Wisconsin (Lake Superior), Minnesota, Montana Oregon California North and South Carolina Texas Florida etc. Having the app makes it so easy to find places to paddle.

If you really want to paddle I'd buy kayaks. Just try before you buy not only for stability and ease of paddling but for weight for lifting onto your vehicle. Enjoy!

I should've mentioned that our kayaks weigh 55 lbs each and it takes both of us to get them loaded on the roof of the truck. They do make nifty kayak lifts that would make it a one person operation.

I went with an inflatable kayak to carry along in my van's garage, so no roof rack needed. They may not be as sleek or fast as rigid kayaks, but I'm not out to win races. I've yet to put it in the water after finding it on sale last December, but did assemble it, inflate it, and let it sit for several weeks to see if there were any air leaks.

If interested in an inflatable kayak, do your homework. There are many designs out there and just as many Youtube sites reviewing them. The cheapest are probably good for kids in the swimming pool, but flimsy and not very durable. I went with a mid priced, single seat model with drop stitched floor, which means the floor is very stiff like those stand up paddleboards. Mine is a sit in model, but various YT channels show how to build add on seats to convert them into a sit on variation, plus trolling motors can be added with simple wood strap on mounts for fishing.

Mine is a Aquaglide Navarro 130, single seat, but there is a longer two seat version available.

I accepted an invitation to kayak across Lake Arlington, Texas and back at sunset with some others, just to enjoy the beauty of that time of day and then night. That was my only Kayak experience ever. I didn't know until then that I had so many "old person" problems. (1) My arms weren't strong enough to lift the Kayak by myself. (2) Even carrying one end of it was a strain on my back. (3) Another Kayak used a rope to pull me partway across the lake because my paddling was too slow. (4) After our picnic, I couldn't stand up from the blanket on the sand by myself because there was nothing around to pull myself up by. (5) I couldn't stand up in the water near shore, repeatedly falling over into the water due to seemingly no sense of balance and the waves confusing me as to exactly what direction is down, so I had to hold onto someone when traveling between Kayak and shore, in both directions.

Until that experience, I had no idea I'd become so incapable of some of the most simple and natural things people do. And everyone talked to me in "baby talk" voices the whole time. I didn't like the baby talk -- don't know the reason for the baby talk -- but I didn't say anything about it as doing so would just make them feel bad. But what an experience that trip was! I love the water and would love to do it again, but won't because I don't want to burden others. Again I'll say, I had no idea I was so incompetent to do simple things; didn't even know my sense of balance was gone.
That sucks. <3

Balance is so important. If I do nothing else I do my balance exercises every day. You can definitely regain it. Also - I'm a super slow paddler, maybe we can meet up someday.

I have used a simple home built car top carrying rack along with ratchet straps to make a catamaran out of two kayaks. This allows two of you to paddle till you are exhausted and motor back while sipping cold drinks carried in a cooler that rests on the rack as well as provides a mount for the motor. If you just want to shore camp and stay the night remove the rack and install 4 poles as legs then throw a tarp over it secured by a few stakes, instant shelter!

So what about those really short kayaks (I've seen references to some as short as 6 feet)? According to what I've read online, they're supposed to be more maneuverable, but the only time I used one IRL it was pretty clunky; I don't know if that's b/c it was short or just b/c it was a cheap model.

I could actually fit something that length inside my car, I think (unless it would block the windows -- not sure). Is it a completely unrealistic option? (My main goal is kayaking on relatively calm rivers.)

Those are mainly for swift water. Check out white water competition kayaks. They are sit inside and usually not used in calm water. I have found sit on top, wider and longer kayaks to be more stable and able to carry gear without loosing it which is a huge advantage. Even a power boat wake can tip a poorly designed or loaded kayak. If you are truly just floating short distances an inflatable would work. There are also sit inside folding/canvas kayaks that will take up about the same space as a folding canopy that have been used for years to do longer distances.

Last edited:
A folded paper kayak?

"Origami is simply the art of folding paper."

I see that it is a folding kayak.

Look into the NRS Pike star inflatable kayak. Not a cheapie boat. Very stable and folds into a back. I’m planning on getting one when I go on the road.

Last edited:
researching how you are gonna use it, how you can travel carry it and what your personal limits are on dealing with it and more come SO into play. take your time, there are tons of options to 'suit you so well' for how ya wanna use a kayak at times. Just do you but research them all, there are so many great options to spend your hard earned bucks on to work so well for ya!! good posts on the board for info.

I don't care what ya buy to suit you, I am just thrilled ya wanna kayak and move and enjoy the heck out of this fab activity!! KAYAK POWER!!! lol

kayaking longer trips is not for those who can't do it and ya think, I am sitting down and just paddling but darn it ain't just that now is it :)

I got sit on top. Had the 'sit in' type and hated it due to not easy to get in and out and not easy to 'use the thing' when I wanted to 'move here and there' easily so SIT ON TOP is way better kayak for anyone, mostly being if you want BIG rapids SIT IN is more useful for safety, you want more pleasure and use for all things, SIT ON TOP means a ton of diff on use and fun.

also before ya buy, how it tracks in water is key. you work way less hard then with a 'good built kayak' vs. a piece of crap that won't track straight...........so everyone read up on tracking. Why I went Ocean. Ocean kayaks track so easy and straight with every pull of the paddle so....I required that for in the ocean.

I remember we didn't use them for a bit when we went more inland camping and when I brought it out again, damn I thought my arms were gonna fall off HAHA and I kayak all the time LOL
On the other hand, I hated my sit-on-top, much prefer the open style sit-in kind.

I have an ORU Beach folding kayak. It is easy to set up and carry, and takes only a small space in my van's "garage" area. It's definitely a flat water 'yak but I'm definitely a flat water paddler so we get along very well.

On the other hand, I hated my sit-on-top, much prefer the open style sit-in kind.
yea it is who you are and what ya like and what are you doing with your kayak from just floating type fun to tackling big ol' rapids but beauty of it to each their own and they make them all to suit our needs and likes for sure :) cool

It's dawning on me that Florida is probably the only state in the Union where you're ~always within day-trip distance of a reasonably affordable kayak rental on reasonably quiet water. And boy did I get addicted. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get my kayaking fix outside of Florida.

Does anyone here have experience -- either owning your own, or renting from a place that's not right on the water and doesn't deliver -- with transporting a kayak yourself? How hard is it to get it up onto the roof of a vehicle? to attach it securely? do you need to have a roof rack?

Also, does anyone have any favorite places for affordable/non-whitewater kayak or canoe rentals outside of Florida? (The only two I can add to the pot are Quiet Waters Paddling in Bernalillo, NM, just north of Albuquerque, and whoever is operating the concession on Lake Martin just outside Lafayette, LA. Also, Pack and Paddle in Lafayette offers really nice group tours, or used to.)

I think my ideal fantasy state -- at least for continental USA -- would be New Mexico everything else + Florida rivers.
I now use a tandem inflatable kayak. It is fine for flatwater (lakes and gentle rivers) but I don't think it would do well in whitewater or offshore. It fits uninflated in the back of my tow vehicle and is light enough for a single older guy like myself to handle. I miss my old hard sit-inside kayak, but for all the reasons already given (weight, space, etc) I had to give it up. If I ever come across a folding kayak in my price range, I'll certainly give it a go. OR, I might get some PVC pipes and canvas and give a DIY version a shot. :)
I have an inflatable too and I love it. Had to part with my sit on top and sit in when I hit the road but the inflatable by far is my favorite.