any kayakers here?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made the jump and bought a Tucktec folding kayak. It is certainly different from the inflatable I have, but so-far so-good. I like how much time it saves me from inflating and deflating my inflatable. And it fits in my rig, where a standard kayak would not. Since I am mostly a flatwater kayaker, I think this should do me fine. I'll report any difficulties I have, in case anyone else wants a review.

I’m anxious to hear your results of the Tucktec kayak…I’m needing one I can carry on trips and my solid kayak is to much to handle in my van..hope your enjoying it…

Transported 6 kayakers blown off Lake Powell yesterday, fortunately they were able to communicate to get help. Many try to walk out but it can be a deadly decision. Even the best kayaks can’t beat storms here so always know your capabilities, have a plan B and check the forecast.

Kayaks, sailboats, any boats, mountains, deserts, etc. Even driving an RV down the road... It's always a good idea to check the forecast, be able to call for help and be careful. I couldn't agree more. That said, I remember once I was bringing my sailboat in on Lake Tahoe in a snow storm. I was thinking I was pushing my luck when out of nowhere I met up with a guy standing on a wind surfboard. I guess it all depends on your perspective.

We are trying to get roof rack so we can take our kayaks with us this up-and-coming trip. But still need to figure out how to get them up on the roof once it is in place. And then how to get them down again. Without breaking either one of us. Then I have to figure out how to get the paddles and life jackets and stuff to fit in the van. Whatever it is, it is worth it to me. I have a set of racks that go on the roof rack of our jeep. Hopefully they will work on the van too.
I love to paddle on lakes and quiet waters. Not so much on oceans and fast-moving rivers...
Doggy doesn't much like it when we paddle 'cause he hates it when we are out on water and he has to sometimes be in the van.... I have tried a few things to get him out in water but
We got the roof rack up and took the kayaks to Flathead lake. It was fun...though it rained to much. It takes both of us to get them on the racks and it is not an easy thing even then, but it works. We get lots of exercise when we do get out 'cause first have to tire out the dog, then have to get our old bodies out and back in, then have to fight and get the kayaks back up, and then have to walk the excited dog to get him back under control... Worth it? Oh yes... Not sure hubby agrees though.