Box Truck Conversion Questions (lots)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morkani

Reaction score
I've been watching Bob's video's for the last month or so and am so attracted to it, I've already decided that this is going to be my new life! :)

I like the idea of a box truck conversion because I can make it exactly how I want it to look. RV's are too expensive and I'm living in someone else's floor-plan. I have a few priory's and I want to know if what I want is possible. All the research I've done so far seems to show that it would be possible. 

I plan to sell my house to fund my build and put the rest in savings. I have a monthly income from disability. What state should I use as my residence? My income will be from the government so I think it'll be tax exempt anyways. Does it matter & what state to use for changing my title from a commercial truck to an rv?

I want to get a reliable 26' box truck & I think diesel is going to be the way to go. I'm hoping to get something with < 100k miles and not too old for less than $15k. does this sound possible?

I've been a bit agoraphobic and I'm hoping this will help me break out of my shell. But this is gonna be difficult so I want to make the transition easy. That means I don't want to give up too many "creature comforts". Top priority is Air conditioning. (I know I am going to need a LOT of solar so I plan to have the entire roof covered in solar. using the flexible tiles I figured I could get about 3500 watts from the roof & I plan to supplement (when needed) with a generator (6500 watts is something I found.) 2nd priority is powering my gaming rig and 3-4 monitors. I plan to stream content on the internet on my twitch channel. That also means my 3rd priority is to have internet (Verizon jetpacks i hear is the way to go). 4th I want a "living room/computer room" area that actually feels like one from home which means it'll take up about 1/2 or more of the 26' in the box truck.
I want a black water/grey water/fresh water tanks with on demand hot water, water pump optional, willing to use foot pump. What size tanks can i use on a truck like what i'm looking for? (I was hoping for 50 gallons each?) I know they will be the most weight along with the batteries I'll need. I also want a gas tank for the generator unless it would be smart to tie it into the diesel tank. I've also heard about using a propane generator which I think wouldn't last as long as having a 25 gallon tank (or so) of unleaded for a generator. I also was hoping to have the truck 4 season capable so wanted to keep the tanks protected in a way that would keep them from freezing, can I do this outside the vehicle? or do i have to put them inside the living area? would you weld the tanks to the frame?

For the solar panels, do you have to worry about hail damage much? or is that an irrational fear. I was thinking I would put a roll up garage door that can come out and cover the panels if i'm parking under tree's or for any reason I wanna protect the panels. is this possible or necessary?

I want to build this well & right the first time so I have to worry about as little maintenance as possible. I'll paint killz on all the frame to prevent mold for example. I hear not to put holes in the roof, but the trucks i've been looking at already have holes in the roof. I think it should be able to seal them right? will it be possible to frame this and build it in such a way as to eliminate the need to worry about mold especially considering that I'll be running ac 24/7 at about 76-80 degrees farenheit.

I don't need a huge freezer/fridge although want one of each. I do want heating but I'm hesitant to use propane in the vehicle because of the humidity. (I'm coming out of Florida and I'm tired of worrying about mold.

I would like to cut out an opening on the side as a flip down window kind of like you would see on a food truck. My wish would be to set up a way to feed the homeless from the window. I could keep my separation from people because I'd be inside the house but I could still help people in need which is my desire. I want to travel though across the country and from what I see, you need a license to give out food in most places. Do any of you have information about how to handle this? I'm also not sure how to locate people in need. I was inspired by bob's foundation that gives out tents & shelter.

Has anyone managed getting medication from the VA? Can you just go to any hospital and fill a prescription? I know I can use tele-health for most of my doctor appointments. 

I intend to have my propane and batteries in heat/air conditioning (I heard propane won't work when it's cold?) is this possible or a good idea?
I want to have the generator quiet enough that I can leave it on at night and be able to sleep (zombie box?) & I would prefer if the generator was inside or attached to the truck so it could not be stolen. Do you think this can be accomplished meeting the sound requirement. Will the vibrations from a generator shake the truck too much if it were mounted to the truck?

How much do you think this would cost ballpark? Do you think I can do this for less than 30k (including the truck?). What if i hire an unlicensed handyman/carpenter to help me with the framing. I think I have to have a licensed contractor for the electric or something to get the title changed to RV. Would this be a class C?

I think that's all my questions for now. There's probably information I need to provide before answers can be given, let me know what other information is needed? THANKS! :)

I think 26’ for a box truck is pretty big, especially if you don’t have any experience driving a large vehicle. I would suggest one in the 16’ - 20’ range. Also, make sure you NEED the diesel; repairs are expensive. Go to TruckPaper.com for a wide range of class 6,7 and 8 trucks.

Just my opinion . . .

Welcome Morkani to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

you need to do a lot more research. the forum is a great research tool.

for instance newer diesels are not really considered a good choice. lots of problems and very expensive to repair.

another point many of us follow the temps and have no need for AC. do you really need to stay in Florida?

also it's butane that has a problem with cold, i thought you were planning on staying in Florida?

like i said you need to do more research.

highdesertranger

speedhighway46 said:
I think 26’ for a box truck is pretty big, especially if you don’t have any experience driving a large vehicle. I would suggest one in the 16’ - 20’ range. Also, make sure you NEED the diesel; repairs are expensive. Go to TruckPaper.com for a wide range of class 6,7 and 8 trucks.

Thank you for your reply, :)
The reason I went for a 26' box truck is because I've driven one once from Ohio to Florida & while it was new & different, I was able to handle it while pulling a trailer with my car as well. I think without the trailer I would be able to pick it up again quickly. I also knew I was going to want the space if I wanted a full on living room/computer room, It needs to feel right for me.
I'll check out the truckpaper.com website, I have a lot near my house that sells box trucks & buses as well with a rapid turnover in inventory so i'm a little lucky there. 
I initially preferred a gas vehicle because it was what I knew, & uhaul trucks are so cheap (and are gas), but everyone I talked to said I should go Diesel because I want it to last so long & if I want to tow my "house" around. The trade off is diesel is so expensive but in the long run, is it? With gas won't I be expecting to replace the truck more frequently where with diesel I may not even have to? (how difficult is it to transfer my cargo box to another truck if I have to replace the truck?)
(what is a class 6/7/7 truck?)

highdesertranger said:
for instance newer diesels are not really considered a good choice.  lots of problems and very expensive to repair.

another point many of us follow the temps and have no need for AC.  do you really need to stay in Florida?

also it's butane that has a problem with cold,  i thought you were planning on staying in Florida

Hi, thank you for your reply :),

When you say diesels have "lots of problems" what do you mean? I've heard that diesels are more reliable than gas vehicles, I knew they were more expensive to repair, but what do you mean by problems with diesels?

Unless the temperature is in the mid/low 70's I will want air conditioning. That's my requirement for doing this. I want the freedom to be able to travel to a cold climate, to a hot climate, and inbetween. It's part of the reason for doing this.

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Thanks for the tip on butane, I thought it was propane, I'm glad to hear it's not, that will make things easier. :)[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]No I do not plan to stay in Fl, in fact, that's one of the reasons I want to go mobile, is to get out of Florida :p

[/font]
Thank you again for your reply! :)

trailer-t said:
I would also think about the cargo trailer option, but I am biased in that direction already.

I do have some idea's for using a cargo trailer for additional options, but if I use one, it'll be towed by my 26' truck. :p

the days of the super simple super reliable diesel engines are long gone. today's diesels are super complicated and super expensive to repair. plus they have added problem prone particulate filters and DEF(diesel exhaust fluid) systems. the newer diesels are not any more reliable than a gas engine and some would say they are less reliable.

don't get me wrong i love diesel engines. but I wouldn't even think of owning a newer one.

highdesertranger

would you reccomend purchasing something 2005 or earlier? or would a 2010 be ok?

Sounds like a fun project. There’s something to be said about a DIY conversion that takes you places and keeps you safe from the elements.

Keep in mind that sourcing vehicle insurance coverage for commercial vehicles and DIY conversions is problematic.

One thing to keep in mind IF you do find a newer diesel:

They can be modified (parts will be removed or changed) to increase reliability, horsepower, and efficiency. This is lovingly referred to as a 'delete'. It is typically done to smaller (non-commercial) diesel engines used for personal transportation, such as in pickup trucks.

HDR, being in California, will probably want to remind me, that this is 'illegal'... but only in some states, and only in certain situations, and yes, I understand how federal and state laws work.

There are issues involved, and you need to do some research, but it might be an option. 

Am I recommending you do this? No....but I'm saying it is possible to drive a 'deleted' diesel and end up with a fairly reliable and yet still fairly newer diesel engine. 

It IS a lot of effort and expense to go thru all of this, and unless you plan to really put on a lot of miles, it may make a lot more financial sense to stick with a gasoline engine, or an older diesel engine.

I do agree with others here, a 26ft box truck is big and heavy and will not be very nimble for day-to-day use.

Hi, My 2 cents - i was lurking on this forum since 2016.  Initially, i was all excited and nearly pull the trigger on a Diesel.  However, common sense prevail.  This May 2020, i finally brought a 2013 E350 with cab over, dual fuel (Gas & Propane) with a electrical connections from Alternator already done.

Research what suit your lifestyle and habits.  Anyway, it customize for yourself not living somebody else floorplan.

I'm not rich, while waiting for the right vehicle to show up i save $200 - $300 per month for last 5 years building up my war chest for the van and the build.  I'm total zero when it comes to Van build with God's Grace - I have a fellow forum member that live close to me that not only a Van dweller and a extremely knowledge excellent workmanship help me to build (more like he built I'm the helper).  His Experiences has total redevelop my concept to what works in reality.

morkani said:
[edited for brevity]
that this is going to be my new life! :)...All the research...changing my title from a commercial truck to an rv?...I want to get a reliable 26' box truck...I've been a bit agoraphobic...I want to build this well & right the first time...holes in the roof...freezer/fridge although want one of each...mold...generator...I think that's all my questions for now...
[snip]

My playful question to folks doing hours! and hours! and hours! of research:
* "Might you be over-thinking this?"

My history:
2003, my Very Significant Other got sick.
In less than one week, we acquired a 1997 Ford CF8000 commercial truck to convert to our concept of an ExpeditionVehicle.
In less than one week -- during our conversion -- we sold everything.
In less than one week, we hit the road from Oregon with the vague goal of 'south'.

Twenty-four months twenty-four thousand miles around south America.
Alaska, Panama, all over north and central America.

After nearly two decades full-time live-aboard, our rig is constantly evolving.
My suggestion:
* avoid locking into thinking 'this rig is my forever rig'.

A)
RecreationVehicle title requires three points:
* sleeping area
* cooking area
* toilet
Do these, and any vehicle can be titled as a RecreationVehicle.

B)
Generator:
After nearly two decades full-time live-aboard, we never saw the need.

C)
Twenty six feet of interior is huge!
Our interior is three paces across by seven paces long.
We are inside to rest.
The rest of the time, we are outside!

D)
Holes in the roof?
Why?

My suggestion -- avoid holes in the roof.
Holes in the roof leak.
Roof-top equipment secured by holes in the roof gets blown off/rubbed off by branches and wind... leaving a bigger hole in the roof.
Sky-lights, fans, vents, aerials are holes in the roof, and can be alternatively routed.
Unless you are taller than your ceiling, holes in the roof are not required.

E)
Fridge:
After nearly two decades full-time live-aboard, we thought we would try an expedition fridge... because SHINY! and all the cool! kids! have them!
Accordingly, we acquired a used SnoMaster 61 dual-zone from another overlanding couple after they realized they did not need it.
SHINY!
In a couple-three days, it (equivalently...) joined the NordicTrack in the corner, a horizontal place to accumulate junk.

F)
Mold:
I suggest at least two opposing windows open 24/7 at least a half-inch.
Ventilate!
And avoid holes in the roof...

Keep in mind that a 26' box truck is already 13'6" in height, and not able to go under some bridges. If you add an air gap with multiple solar panels, you will be approaching 14' in height. You will have to plan your route to avoid low overhangs, and bridge clearance issues, or risk tearing off all your solar panels, and some of your roof.

OP should watch one of the many "Low Bridge" YT videos...

The Definitive 11Foot8 Bridge Crash Compilation

Morkani; Adventure Van Man just sold his van and is now converting a box van on YouTube.....enjoy!

I've been watching Bob's video's for the last month or so and am so attracted to it, I've already decided that this is going to be my new life! :)

I like the idea of a box truck conversion because I can make it exactly how I want it to look. RV's are too expensive and I'm living in someone else's floor-plan. I have a few priory's and I want to know if what I want is possible. All the research I've done so far seems to show that it would be possible.

I plan to sell my house to fund my build and put the rest in savings. I have a monthly income from disability. What state should I use as my residence? My income will be from the government so I think it'll be tax exempt anyways. Does it matter & what state to use for changing my title from a commercial truck to an rv?

I want to get a reliable 26' box truck & I think diesel is going to be the way to go. I'm hoping to get something with < 100k miles and not too old for less than $15k. does this sound possible?

I've been a bit agoraphobic and I'm hoping this will help me break out of my shell. But this is gonna be difficult so I want to make the transition easy. That means I don't want to give up too many "creature comforts". Top priority is Air conditioning. (I know I am going to need a LOT of solar so I plan to have the entire roof covered in solar. using the flexible tiles I figured I could get about 3500 watts from the roof & I plan to supplement (when needed) with a generator (6500 watts is something I found.) 2nd priority is powering my gaming rig and 3-4 monitors. I plan to stream content on the internet on my twitch channel. That also means my 3rd priority is to have internet (Verizon jetpacks i hear is the way to go). 4th I want a "living room/computer room" area that actually feels like one from home which means it'll take up about 1/2 or more of the 26' in the box truck.
I want a black water/grey water/fresh water tanks with on demand hot water, water pump optional, willing to use foot pump. What size tanks can i use on a truck like what i'm looking for? (I was hoping for 50 gallons each?) I know they will be the most weight along with the batteries I'll need. I also want a gas tank for the generator unless it would be smart to tie it into the diesel tank. I've also heard about using a propane generator which I think wouldn't last as long as having a 25 gallon tank (or so) of unleaded for a generator. I also was hoping to have the truck 4 season capable so wanted to keep the tanks protected in a way that would keep them from freezing, can I do this outside the vehicle? or do i have to put them inside the living area? would you weld the tanks to the frame?

For the solar panels, do you have to worry about hail damage much? or is that an irrational fear. I was thinking I would put a roll up garage door that can come out and cover the panels if i'm parking under tree's or for any reason I wanna protect the panels. is this possible or necessary?

I want to build this well & right the first time so I have to worry about as little maintenance as possible. I'll paint killz on all the frame to prevent mold for example. I hear not to put holes in the roof, but the trucks i've been looking at already have holes in the roof. I think it should be able to seal them right? will it be possible to frame this and build it in such a way as to eliminate the need to worry about mold especially considering that I'll be running ac 24/7 at about 76-80 degrees farenheit.

I don't need a huge freezer/fridge although want one of each. I do want heating but I'm hesitant to use propane in the vehicle because of the humidity. (I'm coming out of Florida and I'm tired of worrying about mold.

I would like to cut out an opening on the side as a flip down window kind of like you would see on a food truck. My wish would be to set up a way to feed the homeless from the window. I could keep my separation from people because I'd be inside the house but I could still help people in need which is my desire. I want to travel though across the country and from what I see, you need a license to give out food in most places. Do any of you have information about how to handle this? I'm also not sure how to locate people in need. I was inspired by bob's foundation that gives out tents & shelter.

Has anyone managed getting medication from the VA? Can you just go to any hospital and fill a prescription? I know I can use tele-health for most of my doctor appointments.

I intend to have my propane and batteries in heat/air conditioning (I heard propane won't work when it's cold?) is this possible or a good idea?
I want to have the generator quiet enough that I can leave it on at night and be able to sleep (zombie box?) & I would prefer if the generator was inside or attached to the truck so it could not be stolen. Do you think this can be accomplished meeting the sound requirement. Will the vibrations from a generator shake the truck too much if it were mounted to the truck?

How much do you think this would cost ballpark? Do you think I can do this for less than 30k (including the truck?). What if i hire an unlicensed handyman/carpenter to help me with the framing. I think I have to have a licensed contractor for the electric or something to get the title changed to RV. Would this be a class C?

I think that's all my questions for now. There's probably information I need to provide before answers can be given, let me know what other information is needed? THANKS! :)
Howdy!
We are back for more...
For your genset, I might recommend constructing an interior acoustical-insulated box with locked outside access.
You could conceal it as part of the bed platform.
A garage-door on your roof to protect your photovoltaic from hail and sap.
[admires your creativity]
Diesel engine?
If you are content with slow hills, gasoline might suit you.
For example:
One of our conversions was a 30' semi-trailer.
Our toter was a 1974 Chevrolet coe with a 366ci gasoline engine through an Allison automatic tranny.
Although we traveled internationally and all over the western US, we drove with the understanding we were the slowest rig in our caravan.
On Interstate Five between California and Oregon, the Ashland grade is a beast.
We had eight-minute miles (walking speed).
Twice, we were passed by a herd of ants.
True fact.
Meds?
No idea.

Last edited:
I've got a 2000 f-350 nursing home bus I need it for the lift in front. I've gutted it. Put a queen bed in back with storage underneath. Made a small kitchen with couple cabinets. Above cabinets. Full shower.made a spot for my fridge/with inverter A/C also.12volt lights Big TV. Cozy but VERY comfortable. Hit me up I'll send you some pics.Termitec4 at Hotmail dot com.