2 months on Long Island????

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeKindNomad

Reaction score
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I've been RVing since Feb. and - as things do - I hit a few snags that wound up chipping into saved money way faster than expect and other general wrenches thrown into the mix - including three different decent-sized checks that have all been delayed for one reason or another. As such, it's thrown my next reservation plans into major flux. Normally I try to make month-long reservations because they're often cheaper when you figure the per day cost and it's less hassle having to hook up and break down every few days. I am currently in PA and was thinking I'd stay near Long Island until New Year to be around family for the holiday. So - here's the kicker:[/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]1 - LI has no monthly spots and the one campground that does already closed for the season. [/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]2- Almost all the campgrounds on LI are county/state parks, half of which close for the season. The other half that do operate have limited electrical hookups and those that do, you can only stay for 1 week, some max at 2 weeks. Which, I'd be kind of okay bouncing around every two weeks, but they're charging full seasonal rates for ONLY electrical hook up - they shut off water and close all the buildings (restrooms, showers, etc). So paying the full rate for just electricity seems a bit unfair.[/font]
[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]3 - My parents and sister both live in "the village" of a town which has extra regulations that prohibit the parking/storing of any non-car/truck (boat, RV, jetski) in your driveway and, even if that wasn't an issue - my parents' driveway barely fits a truck/suv much less my 29 foot RV. [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]My big issue is because the checks I expected are now on such delay I can't do the monthly rate option elsewhere even outside of NY because they'd like to get paid upfront (rightly so). [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]I've Wally-docked a couple of times in between waiting for reservations to open - max 5 days (without a gennie - although I have one, I wasn't going to pull it out in the middle of a Walmart parking lot). But I do have one and can utilize it if necessary. I'm not even that concerned with water hookup or sewer dumping because if I'm on Long Island I'll be spending most days with friends and family and limiting my use of such things and I have the dump tank that I can use to manually dump my tanks as-needed. I don't even need to put my slide-out (although the extra 3 feet is nice). I really just need a place that I can slide a 30 foot RV into and toss an extension cord to. I've lived in it with an extension cord-only connection before and I can easily limit what electricity I use - not that I use much anyway. My usual camping electricity bills are about $30 anyway so I use very little as a solo traveler. [/font]

[font=Tahoma, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]So - I'm looking for a place or places throughout Long Island (I can travel up and down the island - prefer to avoid the boroughs but beggers can't be choosers) that can fit a 30 foot long RV and allow me to run on an extension cord. I can pay for electrical use - I can pay actually a little more for the "rental of the space" but not what a fully monthly rate would normally be. If someone has a spot they wouldn't mind having me park in (and still I've in the RV) I can pay you for the space. If you have recommendations of different places I can set up for a couple of days at a time and bounce around - that's helpful too. I'd like to stay from when this reservation ends (Nov. 10) to New Year for family holiday stuff even if that means moving the rig from place to place. I can boondock it but then I'll also be spending a bunch in propane refill it would kind of become counter productive to the money situation but that's a bit do-able until the checks land. I'm even willing to be in the nearby area  (CT, NJ, PA) about 2-3 hour radius drive of long island. And, absolute worst case - I'm willing to pay to have it stored somewhere secure and I can crash at my parents house - although being in my 40s I do like having my own privacy/space. 

It just sadly happened that a slew of bad luck happened all at once between extra expenses and delayed checks that really left me in a pinch - especially right as we're going into the coldest time of the year. So any recommendations on actual locations would be helpful.

For those who may want to know about who I am if they're considering letting me park on/at their property - I'm a 42-year-old trans guy, single, no pets. I am working on making a non-profit for my traveling experience as I have degrees in environmental sciences and emergency management and FEMA certifications so I do environmental assistance/education/clean up, animal rescue & education, LGBT+ education/advocacy, and more. I'm working on the paperwork and filings for the business/non-profit, which is also where some of the money went when I wasn't expecting the other expenses to pop up. 

Thanks for any help or insight on where I can boondock on the island.

Jude
BeKindNomad
Twitter: BeKindNomad
IG: BeKindNomadUSA
www.bekindnomad.com
2005 Crossroads Cruiser[/font]

Good luck to you Jude. That wayyyy on up there to be for the winter months.

So we can better get to know you it would be great if you went to the Newcomers Corner thread and introduce yourself.

Well, Jude, at first blush my thought is that what you want and need is going to be very difficult to come by a) on short notice, and b) on Long Island.

Sounds like you have pretty thoroughly researched established campground options on the island, and they won’t work for you.

My thought is that it may make more sense for you to pack what you need, winterize your rig and find a storage unit for it off the island until after the first of the year.

Do some couch surfing, get thru the holidays and then hopefully your checks will come in and you can be on your way.

My two cents, and better ideas may come from others.

Good luck to you.

Cammalu said:
Good luck to you Jude. That wayyyy on up there to be for the winter months.

Thank you - thankfully on the island, it's not as terrible because of the ocean. Not at all like upstate NY or where I am currently in PA. The plan was to start heading south again but this is the first time I'm getting to see my family in a long time and I'd like to be there for the little ones (my nieces/nephew) for the holidays but worst case I'll boondock as I inch south and just fly up for the holidays.

Jude
BeKindNomad
Twitter: BeKindNomad
IG: BeKindNomadUSA
www.bekindnomad.com
2005 Crossroads Cruiser

You might get lucky by contacting some of the local construction companies doing construction jobs on the island and get a night security gig over the holidays.

I've spent some time in LI myself but my experience in a plain white van is different than yours in an RV.
I could point you towards the Red Hook area of Brooklyn as being a relatively quiet low traffic area that a few vans and campers frequent. Though it's a few degrees cooler than the rest of Brooklyn being right on the water. You also cannot count on a power outlet unless you make friends with someone.
On LI I did ok in a few industrial parks. But again, plain white van.
I think site security might be a viable gig if you could line that up. My uncle did a similar job years ago in San Diego.