A good town by a river

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morgana

Reaction score
So if anybody would care to help me brainstorm this, I’d be interested in your thoughts.

(I've tried to weed out the TMI, but post is still a bit long. Thanks for your patience.)

So I’m winding up my first year of semi-quasi-retirement. It has been one for the fubar files; live and learn! I moved here to volunteer, that turned out to be a fiasco, and I’m not growing fond of this geographical area (a fine area, just not for me).

My lease is up in a few months, and yeah, I expect to remain in wheel-deprived housing for now. (Given my struggles so far with car camping, I’d better bet on this being a long learning curve.)

I have my eye on maybe somewhere on the stretch from El Paso to Tucson. I like the area, and the rents are a bit less stratospheric — but it doesn’t have much kayaking and I really want kayaking. And water in general. And I know we’re in a huge drought.

So between the drought and the housing crisis, as much as I’d like to come back to (one of) my comfort zone(s), maybe I should cast a wider net. I’ve been sort of eyeing Arkansas and Oklahoma, of which I am completely ignorant. They look kinda pretty on the interwebs ;) but boy did I have a come-to-Jesus on the difference between the interwebs and real life this year.

So if I say “relatively [haha!] affordable and not too far from some good quiet-water or at least not-whitewater paddling,” and a particular place you like pops into your head, would you share?

Don’t worry, I am also “doing my own research,” a lot. This would just add some spice to my efforts. And I know you guys have seen a lot.

Thanks!

Well We have lived around different types of water bodies all our lives and in different climates which will determine when you can enjoy being on or in the water. Nice still water that is frozen or too cold does not lend itself to kayaking all that well. Sweltering heat and bugs don’t either or red wind blown dust and muddy shorelines. Granted it is wonderful to have the option to kayak close by but I wouldn’t make it the most important factor. If it is you will probably find a small city park or state park with a small lake or pond in a warmer climate your best bet. Tucson and Phoenix both have city parks with lakes and state and federal parks within a couple hours drive with larger lakes. The biggest problem with those is water quality and the number of people that use them. There are several lakes and rivers that offer tremendous kayaking but most are remote. Best opportunities for cheap housing near them is seasonal work that offers housing on site. Rental kayaks are free for employees to use here at Lake Powell but opportunities to pick up one of your own are plentiful. Even here there are a few months a year you don’t want to be on the water in a kayak due to wind and cold temperatures. 48 degree water can be extremely uncomfortable and deadly in some cases. Yuma has a small lake and the slow flowing portions of the Colorado River north of them all the way up to Lake Havasu.

Last edited:
Those are good points. It doesn't have to be right on a body of water. I mean, presumably I will eventually run out of ways to screw up car camping :rolleyes: and will be able to do even more-than-day-trip distance without breaking the bank.

Every year we have people pass through for a few weeks in spring and fall to enjoy moderate/warm weather and paddle. Usually fall months of September and October are best as families tend to have other activities on there minds. Escapees have a “birds of a feather” group that paddles and hikes you might ask opinions of.

Kayaking and rafting are still available along the Upper Rio in New Mexico. The stretch I'm referring to starts around Espanola and then north along NM-68 almost to Taos.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.2114573,-105.8899653,13.25z
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.9695119,-106.0594491,1152a,35y,350.88h,73.08t/data=!3m1!1e3!5m1!1e4

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.206...4!1sHGWgtg8fGcsiQi5rrTcd_g!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
https://www.google.com/maps/@36.269...4!1s62KaCvXqcbyj8V9uWFcOsg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192
Kayaking, rafting, camping, RV parks, cabins, hiking, cycling, fishing, etc...

I'm not knowledgeable about the housing costs in and around the Rio Communities in the area since the great Plandemic elevated the costs of real estate in rural areas. Land and Lot prices in the area used to be reasonable but that has probably changed....so you should of course do your own research.

The Upper Rio (AKA Rio Grande) begins in Colorado and it's very scenic but also correspondingly more expensive. Any land that touches water will always be 'spendy'.

https://www.westernrivers.org/projects/co/upper-rio-grande

Last edited:
It affects accessibility mostly as many are flooded canyons the main channels are still very deep but narrow, Bullfrog bay is still here and about 60’ deep after being over 120’ deep. Lake is now only about 100 miles long from being 184 miles long. 5 miles is plenty of paddling for me Lol!!

Try Hot Springs, Arkansas. There is even free camping along a river there. It is beautiful country and there are lots of nice towns such as Fayetteville which is a University town with arts and culture. National Parks, mountains, rivers, etc. It was an old summer vacation resort used by people from the cold north.

Yeah, that area looks gorgeous.
I believe JDub voted for Fayettsvlle too.